• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did we improve?

REDneck

While this team has shown improvement the past few weeks, the inability to hit the baseball with the bat this whole season has been a mystery that Mr Ripley would have a hard time believing. One of the worst culprits is now on another team and we have an exciting catching prospect… how often do those come around.  All in all, it was perry being told to get rid of some salary. 

44 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

While this team has shown improvement the past few weeks, the inability to hit the baseball with the bat this whole season has been a mystery that Mr Ripley would have a hard time believing. One of the worst culprits is now on another team and we have an exciting catching prospect… how often do those come around.  All in all, it was perry being told to get rid of some salary. 

$95 million under the 2023 tax threshold now

And yes, an exciting upper minors near ready catching prospect

Edited by Angel Oracle

No, the team actually got worse - at least right now, and possibly for next year. Basically:

2022: Replaced Raisel with Jesse Chavez, Brandon Marsh with...Jose Rojas? Syndergaard with...whothafuk knows.

2023: No Raisel, no Marsh. O'Hoppe at some point.

But it also adds $15M or so to Perry's spending power. And furthermore, we don't know good O'Hoppe is going to be. Finding a decent platoon catcher is harder than replacing Marsh's production this year.

So while "technically" the team got worst, it freed up resources - and added an asset - that could theoretically make the team better next year.

Edited by Angelsjunky

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

So while "technically" the team got worst, it freed up resources - and added an asset - that could theoretically make the team better next year.

On paper, freeing up resources seems great. It allows the Angels to go get some support on the free agent market. But I've been really underwhelmed by Perry's ability to evaluate free agent talent. 

I think it depends on what you mean by improve?  Did we improve for this year?  Obviously not as others have pointed out.

Did we improve for next year and beyond?  I don’t know, we will find out.

But where the Angels DID improve is in their bargaining leverage by saving nearly 60 million this year and next year we will be in a position to go after Ohtani and some of the pieces needed to rebuild.  So I’m that regard, we improved our bargaining position for next year and beyond.

I feel like we’re going to see a Swanson/betiendi as the big FA signing. I can see them bringing back Thor for much less. Resign ohtani with some type of 2 year opt out. Ohappe will backup stassi and at some point supplant him. Moniak/adell will platoon center with trout moving to left. 
someone will get traded to bring in a cost controlled starter. 

also, none of this could happen and we all bitch about everything anyway.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

$95 million under the 2023 tax threshold now

And yes, an exciting upper minors near ready catching prospect

With all possible respect, this irrelevant.  We are/were well under the tax as was, the tax, is moot, Arte isnt going to go that high.  
Assume a cap of about where we are, its not going up.  Unless or until Arte proves me wrong after how many years now of dancing this dance, this is what i believe. 
Now, that having been said the Upton/Iglesias/Thor money freed up will cover Ohtani if he decides to sign, and leave a little for upgrades, but nothing significant.   If youre expecting a Turner/Correa/Judge ot top SP type of FA signing, youre in for disappointment. 

I think there are things about the trade deadline that Angels fans should be pleased with.  Even a day later, I am still not a fan of the Syndegaard trade in that, yes, the contract was probably a hindrance, but was a gamble on Moniak and Jadiel Sanchez the right move?  I get why the Angels made the move, and they probably like Sanchez a fair amount, but considering how highly valued pitching can be, they basically got a lottery ticket and a bust of a prospect for Syndegaard.  Feels soft ... but then again, we don't know the other offers out there.

That said, they added an ascending prospect in Logan O'Hoppe, whose bat should play, and perhaps as important, they added a potential young starting pitching option ini Tucker Davidson.  This lengthens their options for the rotation, and the one thing Davidson really needed was time, which the Angels can give him in this lost season.  That's two useful additions, and if they made the decision that Marsh wans't going to be fixed here, which is quite possible, then the loss of Marsh's perceived ceiling for O'Hoppe is fine.

Whether or not this improves the team depends on what development and their offseason decisions.  It feels clear they are walking the tightrope on the Ohtani situation - they'll try to build a winner this offseason and convince him to stay, but if at some point, they feel that can't be done this offseason, they could turn around and explore shopping him.  Of course, that likely means a full rebuild isn't on the horizon just yet, and it's debatable if that's the right move, with the weak system.  If Davidson shows as a capable rotation asset, then you perhaps lessen the need to get two SP's this offseason.  Maybe a rotation of Ohtani/SandovalFA + Detmers/Davidson/Silseth/Suarez/whoever is strong enough.  The loss of Iglesias means you have to reset your late inning options, but with the volatility of pen arms, maybe Loup is more effective next year, and maybe you can fill in the pieces in the pen without spending on multiple pen arms.  Still, the issue really is needing multiple positional assets this winter if they are trying to compete, and at this juncture, it's hard to see that getting done.  If Adell can finally get going, maybe they answer one spot from within, but you can't pencil in Walsh/Fletcher/MI/Rendon and feel all that great about anything.  Add in Trout's injuries, Adell's inconsistency, and Ward only having one good year so far, and it's a mess of a lineup on paper.

2 hours ago, UtahHalo said:

On paper, freeing up resources seems great. It allows the Angels to go get some support on the free agent market. But I've been really underwhelmed by Perry's ability to evaluate free agent talent. 

It's not necessarily his evaluation, its his ability to get players signed for what they want to pay. He paid too much for Lorenzen, Loup, and Tepera, and probably a bit more than needed for Syndergaard and Iglesias. He hasn't been able to add any offense, from Duffy to Wade to Suzuki, there wasn't any solid adds in the offense department.

Did we improve this year's roster that was/is only headed to the scene of a violent crash... no (that's the whole point of being a "seller" at the trade deadline!)...

Did we improve our future prospect base... yes (and we did so in areas of organizational need)...

Did we better position ourselves financially to retain Ohtani... yes (and this point trumps the first two by an order of magnitude - for me anyway)...