• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dogs

I believe a lot of it depends on what kind of dogs you have

I've been reading about it lately because I was thinking about getting a dog and my daughters dog comes over and stays here quite a bit

When you look up the breed there are sites that tell you the traits of the dogs male and female

33 minutes ago, Tank said:

get a bull mastif and a pekinese and you should be good to go.

It really is the size of the fight in the dog.  I have a pug and when my Rhodesian Ridgeback was still alive, she would bully him.  Other than with the pug, the RR was a badass.  What made it so funny is that if you've seen the underbite of the tiny pug's jaws, there is no way it can do any damage.

52 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Be sure to adopt rather than go through a breeder.

There are reputable breeders and really fucked up dogs at rescue. We've been lucky with the dogs we have picked up from rescue but that isn't always the case. He said he wants a puppy and those are few and far between at rescue and in high demand. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

There are reputable breeders and really fucked up dogs at rescue. We've been lucky with the dogs we have picked up from rescue but that isn't always the case. He said he wants a puppy and those are few and far between at rescue and in high demand. 

There are plenty of puppies being fostered. If you look around enough, you'll find a good fit.

Reputable breeder is an oxymoron. Sure, many breeders aren't putting their dogs in small cages and running puppy mills. But the act of dog breeding itself is no longer necessary and IMO unethical.

59 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There are plenty of puppies being fostered. If you look around enough, you'll find a good fit.

Reputable breeder is an oxymoron. Sure, many breeders aren't putting their dogs in small cages and running puppy mills. But the act of dog breeding itself is no longer necessary and IMO unethical.

It's like Vegans chiming in on bacon. Thanks but we are OK without your ethics in this conversation.  

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

His idea is a great way to just get rid of dogs altogether. Are we certain that his cat didn’t hack his computer?

Our oldest cat was seven when we adopted him. We have no idea what he was up to in the seven years before the shelter picked him up. For all we know, he was king of the streets.

There isn't a huge cat breeder market (at least not in the U.S.), but shelters are overflowing with both cats and dogs. And contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of home-ready dogs available for adoption. Especially older dogs that simply want a forever home.

Just now, Taylor said:

Our oldest cat was seven when we adopted him. We have no idea what he was up to in the seven years before the shelter picked him up. For all we know, he was king of the streets.

There isn't a huge cat breeder market (at least not in the U.S.), but shelters are overflowing with both cats and dogs. And contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of home-ready dogs available for adoption. Especially older dogs that simply want a forever home.

In before Lou says, "How do you know this? Did they tell you?"

12 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I get what your saying and I think getting a shelter dog is a great way to go but if all dogs stop breeding then no more dogs 

Are you talking Australian Sheepdog with the multi colored eyes? These dogs are very high energy and really require a daily workout to burn off some energy. Your idea of a long walk may not meet this dogs needs since they are bred to herd. 

I would consult with a vet about mix and match of breeds, which are compatible or if the Aussie will bond with anyone but the owner. We have a Collie mix and the world completely revolves around her and and my wife. So when she brought home a much larger dog as a companion there were compatibility issues with Nilla and the intruder into her space. Territorial and shared attention issues. It took two years for Nilla to ease up on the Alpha attitude.

Dogs are high maintenance unlike cats. They need training in every aspect of their lives as to who is in charge and who dictates the rules. Cats pretty much don't give a fuck while dogs can and will respond to consistent directions but without it become renegades.

An Aussie is smart dog so expect to have to work with the dog to get the responses you need from it. That includes who gets to eat what in the house and never from your plate or you will have begging and food stealing issues.

Get a training book and read it. You have two weeks to be ready not to fuck this up. The next six months will determine who runs the house.