• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be our breakout player in 2022?

mmc

Not who I think will have a huge breakout, but the guy I think breaking out would be most beneficial to the team is Canning.  If he can build on what he showed prior to last year, give them 130-140 innings, they are a much better team. Canning and Rengifo are the two guys the Angels absolutely need to play to their abilities.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not who I think will have a huge breakout, but the guy I think breaking out would be most beneficial to the team is Canning.  If he can build on what he showed prior to last year, give them 130-140 innings, they are a much better team. Canning and Rengifo are the two guys the Angels absolutely need to play to their abilities.

Another downside of this lockout is that the organization can't work with players at this time to help facilitate their growth during the winter.  I'm sure they went over strategies and created plans for them to work on during the winter, but they can't have anyone review and provide feedback until the CBA is resolved.  I'm not sure how involved the organization is with all of its players during the winter, but I have to imagine that the strong developmental ones provide a good amount of feedback to help facilitate growth.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

If Trout and Rendon are finally healthy, this lineup will be a holy terror. Now if we only could get a good pitching staff that also remains healthy, happy playoff days are here again!

Am I getting ahead of myself here with stupid optimism? 

If Trout and Rendon are healthy, and Loup and Iglesias are close to their career norms, all we need is a mediocre pitching staff. 

Now, I may be getting ahead of my self here... 

6 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Marsh, 35 home runs. 

If Trout and Rendon are finally healthy, this lineup will be a holy terror. Now if we only could get a good pitching staff that also remains healthy, happy playoff days are here again!

Am I getting ahead of myself here with stupid optimism? 

You're not!

My first impulse is to get this notion of Brandon Marsh hitting 35 HR out of our heads. Consider that Marsh's career total--all levels--is 29 in 365 professional games, or about 13 per 162 games.

Now I do think he has untapped power potential, and occasionally players do have big power spikes. One notable example was Kirby Puckett, who hit 0 HR in his first year, 4 in his second year, then 31 in his third year.

That said, I made the comp of Marsh to Jim Edmonds, who also didn't have much power in the minors and then blossomed in his second major league season, or first full one. Consider:

Edmonds

minors: 30 HR in 1551 AB (1 HR/52 AB)

first season (age 23): 5 HR in 289 AB (1 HR/58 AB)

second season (24): 33 HR in 559 AB (1 HR/17 AB)

Marsh

minors: 25 HR in 1168 AB (1 HR/47 AB)

first season (age 23): 2 HR in 236 AB (1 HR/118 AB)

second season (24): ???

I'm not predicting that Marsh hits 30 HR next year, but the similarity is striking. I do think he's got a good chance at 15-20, with the potential to eventually reach 25 or higher.

Edited by Angelsjunky