• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be our breakout player in 2022?

mmc

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My first impulse is to get this notion of Brandon Marsh hitting 35 HR out of our heads. Consider that Marsh's career total--all levels--is 29 in 365 professional games, or about 13 per 162 games.

Now I do think he has untapped power potential, and occasionally players do have big power spikes. One notable example was Kirby Puckett, who hit 0 HR in his first year, 4 in his second year, then 31 in his third year.

That said, I made the comp of Marsh to Jim Edmonds, who also didn't have much power in the minors and then blossomed in his second major league season, or first full one. Consider:

Edmonds

minors: 30 HR in 1551 AB (1 HR/52 AB)

first season (age 23): 5 HR in 289 AB (1 HR/58 AB)

second season (24): 33 HR in 559 AB (1 HR/17 AB)

Marsh

minors: 25 HR in 1168 AB (1 HR/47 AB)

first season (age 23): 2 HR in 236 AB (1 HR/118 AB)

second season (24): ???

I'm not predicting that Marsh hits 30 HR next year, but the similarity is striking. I do think he's got a good chance at 15-20, with the potential to eventually reach 25 or higher.

Have you seen Mike Trout's HR's in the minors???

6 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

Have you seen Mike Trout's HR's in the minors???

Of course, but Trout is such a rare player that there's no point in comparing anyone to him. Meaning, "Trout did it, therefore..." is nonsensical and pointness.

Edmonds is a borderline Hall of Famer, and probably not the greatest comp for any young player, but I see elements of him in Marsh, therefore I think he's worth comparing him to.

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My first impulse is to get this notion of Brandon Marsh hitting 35 HR out of our heads. Consider that Marsh's career total--all levels--is 29 in 365 professional games, or about 13 per 162 games.

Now I do think he has untapped power potential, and occasionally players do have big power spikes. One notable example was Kirby Puckett, who hit 0 HR in his first year, 4 in his second year, then 31 in his third year.

That said, I made the comp of Marsh to Jim Edmonds, who also didn't have much power in the minors and then blossomed in his second major league season, or first full one. Consider:

Edmonds

minors: 30 HR in 1551 AB (1 HR/52 AB)

first season (age 23): 5 HR in 289 AB (1 HR/58 AB)

second season (24): 33 HR in 559 AB (1 HR/17 AB)

Marsh

minors: 25 HR in 1168 AB (1 HR/47 AB)

first season (age 23): 2 HR in 236 AB (1 HR/118 AB)

second season (24): ???

I'm not predicting that Marsh hits 30 HR next year, but the similarity is striking. I do think he's got a good chance at 15-20, with the potential to eventually reach 25 or higher.

Considering the era he played in, I wouldn't assume Edmonds' trajectory was entirely natural.....maybe I am a cynic.....

4 hours ago, Torridd said:

Are these two really going to get a lot of playing time?

I really think Wade will get a lot of playing time. As of right now we don't have much at shortstop so the opportunity is there (although we really need to acquire a starter at short). But also his ability to pay 2nd and all outfield positions could really open up a lot more for him.

Rengifo's minor league number indicate he has the potential to "breakout" but that may be more like trending towards his 2019 performance level.

I'm gonna go with Jose Rojas. I think he finds a way to be a slightly above-average offensive player bouncing around different positions. He wasn't completely out of place offensively last year, and he had to battle an injury, new positions, and sporadic playing time for the first time in his career as he also faced MLB pitching for the first time.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:53 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Not who I think will have a huge breakout, but the guy I think breaking out would be most beneficial to the team is Canning.  If he can build on what he showed prior to last year, give them 130-140 innings, they are a much better team. Canning and Rengifo are the two guys the Angels absolutely need to play to their abilities.

i would argue that would be adell and marsh being that they're likely starters, but canning and rengifo would be the two unexpected breakouts that have the biggest impact just because it would be a boon.

2 hours ago, notherhalo said:

This video is getting a lot of play among Angels fans but, some of us were pointing out Sandoval's two pitch dominance and GB tendencies prior to last season while everyone was doing their usual "but look at his ERA" routine.  

The big takeaway from this video should be the talk about defense being horrible.  The defense dragged the pitching down, the defense is still the biggest weakness on the team.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This video is getting a lot of play among Angels fans but, some of us were pointing out Sandoval's two pitch dominance and GB tendencies prior to last season while everyone was doing their usual "but look at his ERA" routine.  

The big takeaway from this video should be the talk about defense being horrible.  The defense dragged the pitching down, the defense is still the biggest weakness on the team.

I keep reading everyone say that on here. Ive watched very little actual games the past few years, usually just listening on the radio, or checking box scores.

Where are the big problems? I thought Fletcher had a pretty good glove. Is he not?

Ive read Adell isnt good, so Im guessing there. Where are the other big holes?

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I keep reading everyone say that on here. Ive watched very little actual games the past few years, usually just listening on the radio, or checking box scores.

Where are the big problems? I thought Fletcher had a pretty good glove. Is he not?

Ive read Adell isnt good, so Im guessing there. Where are the other big holes?

Positioning -- not the shift.   

It's been a thing for two years now, Simmon's masked a lot of it because he did his own thing and was a freak.  Last year with him gone, Rendon out, and early on with "Tio" at 1B there was some awful, awful stuff happening.

Hopefully all the scapegoat coaches they cut loose were responsible for some of those positioning issues.