• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scherzer Deal

Torridd

Naw, I don't want to be stuck paying him for what he's already done, I'd rather save our money for Ohtani - (assuming he's still great) - a spectacular bullpen, and 1 more solid SP - however we get one.

I'd have taken the Ray contract, though.

At this point, when it comes to FA's, names I'm interested in are Stroman (though he might now be too expensive for what he'd bring) or Rodon (6-man rotation should keep him healthy - but I really want 2 years, and he's gonna get 4), Iglesias and/or Jansen, and Story 

Window's closing ...

I mean Scherzer is about as close to a sure thing as it gets for a 37/38 year old pitcher, but I still wouldn't want to give him three years at $43M per. Dudes with that many innings at that age just kinda scare me from a risk standpoint, and while it's possible that he's really good to great for all three years of that contract, it's just as possible that his career is over a year from now. Sounds dramatic sure, but he's getting to that age where guys arms start to go away really quickly.

Scherzer can't pitch at a high level forever... sooner or later, he's going to regress.  The Mets are betting it will be later, but they're one of the few teams that can afford to take on that much risk.

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The Mets just saw an 88 win team take their division and ride that to a WS championship. Why not go big right now?

Exactly.

At the same time - the Mets and Dodgers can take a hit if a contract that big doesn't work out.  The Angels?  Well, history has shown that big, bad contracts hinder the team's ability to sign additional talent to some degree.

52 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

$43M a year for a guy's age 37-39 years? No thanks. Scherzer is great, but I'd be a bit worried about that "dead arm."

Also, I'd rather have Gausman, Ray, or Stroman for half as much per year.

Not only the worries about a dead arm, but don't forget the Angels pitching mound, which is a risk in itself.

I'm happy we saved $130 million to spend on other needs. The other names you mentioned are quite adequate and all three are 30-years young.

They could have signed Ray and Gausman but they didn't so right now it's not like the question was Scherzer or one of those two since none of them signed here.  To answer Torrid's question if the Angels don't get another legit SP with #2 or higher upside this off season then I'd rather have Scherzer even at his age and being overpaid for the next 3 years.  The Angels have a window right now where Trout is in his prime, Ohtani is under contract and Rendon is in his prime where they can make a run.  There's still time for them to make some moves and I just hope 5 years from now we aren't talking about how they could have been a legit contender if they only had the pitching.       

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think that’s deal is gonna suck for them. Red flags a flyin on the arm issues at the end of the season couple with his age. 

Same. Im baffled by what he got.

If youre the dodgers, have a ton of money and a great team, sure, do it. The Yankees could afford it. Houston maybe. Etc etc

But I dont see the Mets as being that close to winning. Cano is already a pujols, and degrom is looking at arm problems.

We shall see

3 hours ago, Torridd said:

Would you rather pay Scherzer for the deal the Mets got or take your chances on what the Angels will do for the remainder of the offseason? I would choose the latter.

Pay Scherzer. I don't trust that they will add a front-end SP that they need. Scherzer would've been that. So in this hypothetical, I'll take the guaranteed front-end SP.

With Ray, Gausman, and Presumably Stroman getting half of what the Mets desperately threw at him, I'd take the latter.

I'd rather have Trevor Story (21) and Stroman (22).

Or Stroman (22) and Iglesias (13) and Taylor? (14).

Or Iglesias (13), Castillo (7.5), Suzuki (9), and Story(21).

Since the question isn't what other options I would have preferred we do with the money, I would take Max.  I just so badly want to win in Mike's window and believe, with health, we have the core offense to get it done.  The current moves aren't going to do it and Max would at least give us hope over the next year or two that we've got a shot.  

This circus we go through every year hoping the F.O. will make the right move, only to be disappointed, has grown tiresome.  Personally, I can't recall being more disappointed in an offseason to-date.  Mike is 30 and committed to us....and this is our response.

While venting, I have lost most all organizational hope that a GM can succeed here while Arte owns the team.  It's become very clear that Arte is running the show and his GM is merely a puppet with directives to stay within a budget until such time as he intercedes (which almost always turns out poorly).

My short answer is give me hope (Max).