• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels finally get a top of the rotation starter this offseason?

mmc

Will the Angels finally get a top of the rotation starter this offseason?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Angels finally get a top of the rotation starter this offseason?

3 hours ago, mmc said:

I doubt it but does anyone have any actual confidence in it?

I'm with you on the doubting.  This doesn't seem like a particularly strong class. 

There are multiple guys at the extreme end of their careers or with concerning medicals. A guy who had a pop up season (Ray), is probably my favorite choice and I could go for an hour why he's a risky proposition.  Stroman, who you can't really fault but you have to wonder how long a guy his size will do well and more importantly he may be the most defense dependent pitcher in the group. Rodon is the injury roulette wheel. The rest are all mid level SPs who could have good seasons but I wouldn't classify as legit front end guys.

Unfortunately Perry has kind of been painted into a corner.  I'm just hoping whatever they do they don't take away to try to add or put them back into payroll purgatory.

Cobb doesn’t count, I guess (Ha,ha).  We need at least a #2 if not a #1 but I’m not optimistic.  The older TOR guys are all a risk, on the other hand short term deals are attractive.  Maybe start with a trade for a SS or catcher or pitching, then see how things flow and fit.  I could see more trades than signings until the CBA gets done.

11 minutes ago, Revad said:

Cobb doesn’t count, I guess (Ha,ha).  We need at least a #2 if not a #1 but I’m not optimistic.  The older TOR guys are all a risk, on the other hand short term deals are attractive.  Maybe start with a trade for a SS or catcher or pitching, then see how things flow and fit.  I could see more trades than signings until the CBA gets done.

The interest in a Cobb sort of confuses me.  It’s not that I think he is terrible.  But it seems the specific project is to get a couple of starters to be #1 and #2 in the rotation.

Cobb isn’t the answer to that plan.

If the Angels can land legitimate answers to that plan, and somehow find themselves kind of lean in rotation depth (because they had to trade some arms to get the #1 and #2) then sure take a look at bringing back Cobb.

But in this situation where the Angels clearly need high end starters, I am instantly puzzled by people immediately bringing up the idea of re-signing Cobb.

Maybe it’s old school to think you need a veteran leader on a staff, but as a person that responds better to a credible peer better than to authority I have interest in Cobb.  He knows the young pitchers from last year and could be a solid #3 and the cost won’t be extreme.  Trade for a potential TOR guy, sign Cobb or someone similar, then have money for the bullpen and other holes.

Edited by Revad

I think signing 2 of the second teir guys wouldn't be considered aces, but most here would be happy with that.  Trading for Castillo would be considered an ace. Ray and some of the older guys COULD pitch like an ace this year.  I have a weird feeling Kershaw could end up here. 

Max is the only FA I'd label ace and even he has some risk.  Last year Cole was an ace with almost no downside and look what he got. 

8 hours ago, mmc said:

I doubt it but does anyone have any actual confidence in it?

I voted no, but I believe we'll get at least two capable arms. When you couple them with Ohtani, I think we'll be a contending team as long as Trout/Rendon bounce back.

Eh. Idk. The odds likely say no, as there are multiple factors in landing a top of the rotation starter.

1. They have to be willing to spend the money on a top of the rotation starter.

2. Said top of the rotation starter needs to have a desire to join the team.

3. They have to out-bid other teams for said top of the rotation starter.

Trade for Castillo or a Marlins arm (Alacantara, Rogers or Lugo) and sign one of either (Jon Gray, Marcus Stroman, Thor, Cobb or DeSclafani) and/or (Matz or Wood) which would allow you the ability to trade a younger lefty (Sandavol or Suarez) which we have plenty of kid left handed starter arms.

I think we will stay away from giving up draft pick Compensation.

I doubt it?

There's really nobody out there on the market, who's young, outstanding, and established. 

I hope the Angels don't just go out and "get someone", for the sake of "getting someone".

Or we'll just ending up having a staff like last season. 

Lots and LOTS of months to wait until we need to really worry about it anyway...............

Go Halos!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/will-the-angels-finally-land-a-marquee-starter-this-offseason.html

Guaranteed Contracts

Total 2022 commitments: $111.24MM

Projected Salaries for Arbitration-Eligible Players (projections via MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz)

Non-tender candidates: Gosselin, Guerra

Free Agents