• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Eric Kay, Tim Mead removed as defendants in one Tyler Skaggs wrongful death suit

Former longtime Angels public relations employees Eric Kay and Tim Mead have been removed as defendants in one of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the family of Tyler Skaggs, although the Angels remain defendants in both suits.

Kay and Mead were removed from the California suit and are still named in the Texas suit.

Skaggs’ parents are the plaintiffs in Texas and his wife is the plaintiff in California, because of differing laws in the states.

A spokesman for attorney Rusty Hardin, who represents Skaggs’ family in both suits, did not comment on the decision to remove Mead and Kay in California.

It is possible the two defendants were removed from the California suit to streamline the case, reducing issues that could be argued to delay a trial.

The California suit was also moved from Los Angeles County to Orange County.

Skaggs’ family maintains that the Angels were aware, or should have been aware, that the pitcher was using drugs, and they should have stopped his use before it killed him.

Kay has been charged in federal court with supplying the opioids that led to Skaggs’ death in a Texas hotel room July 1, 2019. Kay is set for trial in Texas, starting Nov. 9.

Skaggs’ family believes that Mead – Kay’s supervisor – was also aware that Kay had been supplying drugs to Skaggs, although Mead and the Angels have denied that.

View the full article

54 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Skaggs’ family maintains that the Angels were aware, or should have been aware, that the pitcher was using drugs, and they should have stopped his use before it killed him.

If the Angels should have been aware then the Skaggs family should also have been aware. That pretty much blows their suit all to pieces if they showed negligence in informing the Angels of Tyler's drug abuse or sought help. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

If the Angels should have been aware then the Skaggs family should also have been aware. That pretty much blows their suit all to pieces if they showed negligence in informing the Angels of Tyler's drug abuse or sought help. 

Not that I siggest it, but Kay "should" sue the Skaggs estate for financially supporting his drug habit. 

The suit essentially says Skaggs' employer is responsible for his habit, in his off work hours 

Skaggs was part of a union that fights drug tests...

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t have all the information on this particular case, but I do find myself pretty annoyed that it seems every time something bad happens, people seem to have a “grab the pitchforks” attitude that “somebody has to pay.”

Me too, however someone died. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Me too, however someone died. 

Yes.  Everyone dies.  Some from natural causes and some from doing stupid things.

I am really saddened by the Skaggs story.  It is absolutely tragic.  My comment is simply noting that our contemporary society is litigious in its appetite to blame someone for every bad thing that happens.

There just seems to be a shrinking incidence of dealing with true tragedies without litigation hoping to either a). Make someone pay, or b). Exploit the legal process to help deal with the denial and/or anger stages of what they are going through.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes.  Everyone dies.  Some from natural causes and some from doing stupid things.

I am really saddened by the Skaggs story.  It is absolutely tragic.  My comment is simply noting that our contemporary society is litigious in its appetite to blame someone for every bad thing that happens.

There just seems to be a shrinking incidence of dealing with true tragedies without litigation hoping to either a). Make someone pay, or b). Exploit the legal process to help deal with the denial and/or anger stages of what they are going through.

Yes. It was an obvious lawsuit though.  If it was one player giving drugs to another then maybe no lawsuit. But with the title Kay held the suit was always happening. And until I see something different I think it’s a couple of guys that like to do drugs together. 

Removing Kay and Mead from the lawsuit seems absurd - if they have no culpability, how the eff can "The Angels?"  

The lawsuit relies on the ESPN article where Kay's mom and wife said that Mead knew - https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/27828247/los-angeles-angels-employee-details-team-knowledge-tyler-skaggs-drug-use-federal-dea-investigators-espn

I wonder if their depositions fell apart?   

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Friendly but factual response Taylor.  You might be the last person who should make this comment.  When do you stop before judging Taylor?  How often do you go straight to blaming white males?

I'm turning over a new leaf in situations like this. It really seems like none of us know the actual facts of the situation. It's easy to judge the Angels or the Skaggs family or whoever, but we simply don't know.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes. It was an obvious lawsuit though.  If it was one player giving drugs to another then maybe no lawsuit. But with the title Kay held the suit was always happening. And until I see something different I think it’s a couple of guys that like to do drugs together. 

I am fine with the process playing out but I personally don’t see this to be appropriately automatically an obvious lawsuit.

Some people would mourn the loss and process that their loved one took drugs and it killed them.

I am not disagreeing that none of us should be surprise that there is a lawsuit.  But I just don’t agree that Kay’s title makes the suit legitimate.

We will see.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I'm turning over a new leaf in situations like this. It really seems like none of us know the actual facts of the situation. It's easy to judge the Angels or the Skaggs family or whoever, but we simply don't know.

I agree.  We don’t know.  I guess we will learn more.  Hopefully we will learn more of the actual truth and not just strategic narratives emloyed just to win a lawsuit.

Sadly we may not be able to tell the difference.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I agree.  We don’t know.  I guess we will learn more.  Hopefully we will learn more of the actual truth and not just strategic narratives emloyed just to win a lawsuit.

Sadly we may not be able to tell the difference.

But in the meantime, you'll continue speculating and calling it a frivolous lawsuit.

31 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I know its a clusterfuck, and that's likely all I'll remember years from now.

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

But in the meantime, you'll continue speculating and calling it a frivolous lawsuit.

An entirely inaccurate and reckless statement.  I have done zero speculation and I never said this case was frivolous.

But I’m sure that what your brain heard, so what is the point of even setting the record straight here?

Edited by Dtwncbad