• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels re-sign Cobb?

tdawg87

Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?

I'd probably offer Cobb $8-9 mil with a vesting player option for $10m if he hits 120 innings.

I'm totally fine with letting him walk though, and I'm not sure there is money in the budget for this kind of move. I really do like the idea of adding a depth piece who is a good bet to throw some decent innings.

Pursue the best possible starter with the plan to add specifically to the front of the rotation.

If at some point those targets are gone and you feel you need another starter for depth, then sure sign Cobb.

But I really don’t like the idea of jumping on Cobb now and then having the amount committed to his contract no longer available to help pursue a front of the rotation starter.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I wanted a really good low-risk SP: Ray, Stroman, or Gausman

A high risk high reward SP: Great with Noah

A low risk quality innings SP: Cobb or Gray would be great

I'm willing to have Mayfield/Rengfo battle for SS to make this happen

I'd say neither Ray nor Gausman are exactly low risk.  Ray has had chronic control issues and has had some rather poor years.  Gausman, prior to being with the Giants, also had some very mediocre years.  Both will command large commitments.  Personally, I don't think I'd want either of them, given they will likely command 4 year deals at the minimum, and quite possibly 5.  I suspect whoever signs them to those deals will largely regret it.

Instead, I'd rather gamble on Scherzer staying relatively healthy and sign him to a 3 year deal.  It could also blow up in our faces, but I'd rather roll the dice on a true premium SP like him for what will assuredly be a shorter-term contract (due to his age).

That said, I'd expect to see Minasian instead opt for two cheaper options in the Cobb/Wood category that will likely require 2 year commitments at most (i.e., 2/20 type deals).

19 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'd probably offer Cobb $8-9 mil with a vesting player option for $10m if he hits 120 innings.

I'm totally fine with letting him walk though, and I'm not sure there is money in the budget for this kind of move. I really do like the idea of adding a depth piece who is a good bet to throw some decent innings.

He made $15 million this past year. He only pitched 93.1 innings but was very successful.

I think he completely scoffs at those offers. 

I guess we'll see. I could see him being one of those guys who is still available in February.

17 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'd say neither Ray nor Gausman are exactly low risk.  Ray has had chronic control issues and has had some rather poor years.  Gausman, prior to being with the Giants, also had some very mediocre years.  Both will command large commitments.  Personally, I don't think I'd want either of them, given they will likely command 4 year deals at the minimum, and quite possibly 5.  I suspect whoever signs them to those deals will largely regret it.

Instead, I'd rather gamble on Scherzer staying relatively healthy and sign him to a 3 year deal.  It could also blow up in our faces, but I'd rather roll the dice on a true premium SP like him for what will assuredly be a shorter-term contract (due to his age).

That said, I'd expect to see Minasian instead opt for two cheaper options in the Cobb/Wood category that will likely require 2 year commitments at most (i.e., 2/20 type deals).

Almost nobody is without risk. Cole last offseason might have been the closest SP to hit FA with zero risk and look what he got. 

Ray is 30 and won the cy young. If that's not good enough I'm not sure who can advocate for. You mentioned Scherzer. The 37 year old who didn't pitch game six in the NLCS because his arm was "dead". I'm not saying Max won't be a great signing for someone, but to characterize Ray as too high risk and suggest Max is peculiar to me. I agree with you that Wood/Cobb would be nice SP to give quality innings. 

The reality is we can all throw out our ideas and yet none of us truly know what will happen. 

I’m guessing Cobb gets around $10-12 million. Comparing what he got last year in his situation is somewhat irrelevant.  He’s been pretty bad most of his 4 year deal which he signed at 30.  I don’t think he’s going to get a $15-16 million contract coming off a sub 100 inning season. 

53 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m guessing Cobb gets around $10-12 million. Comparing what he got last year in his situation is somewhat irrelevant.  He’s been pretty bad most of his 4 year deal which he signed at 30.  I don’t think he’s going to get a $15-16 million contract coming off a sub 100 inning season. 

I don't think it's irrelevant. He is going to ask for $15 million. Probably why he hasn't been signed yet. 

He isn't worth it, but someone will give him a contract for at least 13 million. Pitchers get overpayed.

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

It may be good for the Angels to re-sign Cobb and Bundy.  Ohtani is in line to pitch a little more than the 130 or so innings he pitched last season.  Thor will be on an innings watch.  Who knows what we get from Canning, Sandoval and the rest, so multiple starters to choose from is probably a good course of action to take.

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

17 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

It may be good for the Angels to re-sign Cobb and Bundy.  Ohtani is in line to pitch a little more than the 130 or so innings he pitched last season.  Thor will be on an innings watch.  Who knows what we get from Canning, Sandoval and the rest, so multiple starters to choose from is probably a good course of action to take.

No to Bundy period. No.

54 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think it's irrelevant. He is going to ask for $15 million. Probably why he hasn't been signed yet. 

He isn't worth it, but someone will give him a contract for at least 13 million. Pitchers get overpayed.

Not sure about that.  Making an argument that you deserve to be paid a certain amount because of what you got before doesn't necessarily hold water.  I don't think you're numbers are wrong though except for the at least part of the 13m.  Personally thinking that's about his ceiling. 

He's 34 and was good last year but as has been mentioned, in a mere 93.1 innings.  And he was pretty miserable before that.  I'm guessing he'll get 10-11 AAV for two years.   

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I just wish the Halos could guess right as often as the Giants did a year ago.

No more Harvey’s, Cahill’s, Quintana’s, Nolasco’s, etc, por favor

It's more than just guessing right.

Farhan Zaidi is very smart, and he is given the autonomy and resources to build an elite infrastructure. 2 years in, and his systems/infrastructure stabilized.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

It's more than just guessing right.

Farhan Zaidi is very smart, and he is given the autonomy and resources to build an elite infrastructure. 2 years in, and his systems/infrastructure stabilized.

Bingo.  Zaidi has built an elite infrastructure, as you said, which enables the Giants to “guess” correctly more than most.  

Hopefully, Minasian is doing the same thing, which should hopefully lead to the FO making savvy decisions over time, instead of just doling out contracts to big name players who go on to perform poorly and become albatross contracts quickly.