• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels re-sign Cobb?

tdawg87

Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?

To me, this is a tough one. My heart says yes, but my brain says no.

Cobb turns 34 next month, so he's nearing the end of his career. Does he have enough left in the tank to be productive for 2-3 years? 

On one hand, he's not getting a massive deal. He missed a lot of time this year and probably won't even break 100 innings. This brings his value down, significantly. However, he missed a lot of time. Is he going to be healthy next year?

His peripherals have been excellent this year. He has a 2.61 FIP and 3.17 xFIP. Not to mention, his BABIP is .320, which is well above his career average. So he isn't getting lucky. In fact, he's been rather unlucky because the defense is garbage.

Another thing to consider; his velocity has been a career high. His FB has been 93.2 MPH. His career average is 91.7. His fastball has generally been his weakest pitch, but this year it's been above average. His change-up is his best pitch by far, and he's used it more this year than he has since 2014.

So where do we stand on bringing him back? Mind you, if he's re-signed we aren't getting anywhere near Scherzer or Stroman. But his contract would allow us to possibly bring Iggy back.

We saw what happened to Bundy. Maybe it was pine tar that helped him in 2020. Maybe it was just the shortened season (he wasn't pitching great towards the end). A lot of us, including myself, wanted to re-sign him. Thank fucking god we didn't.

Does Cobb carry the same risk? I don't know. But despite how well he has pitched I doubt he gets more than $15 million over 2 years. Is he worth that? More? Less? Stay the fuck away? 

I really don't know. I want a frontline starter but we also need a closer. Tough decision IMO.

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Cobb turns 34 next month, so he's nearing the end of his career. Does he have enough left in the tank to be productive for 2-3 years? 

On one hand, he's not getting a massive deal. He missed a lot of time this year and probably won't even break 100 innings. This brings his value down, significantly. However, he missed a lot of time. Is he going to be healthy next year?

His peripherals have been excellent this year. He has a 2.61 FIP and 3.17 xFIP. Not to mention, his BABIP is .320, which is well above his career average. So he isn't getting lucky. In fact, he's been rather unlucky because the defense is garbage.

Another thing to consider; his velocity has been a career high. His FB has been 93.2 MPH. His career average is 91.7. His fastball has generally been his weakest pitch, but this year it's been above average. His change-up is his best pitch by far, and he's used it more this year than he has since 2014.

So where do we stand on bringing him back? Mind you, if he's re-signed we aren't getting anywhere near Scherzer or Stroman. But his contract would allow us to possibly bring Iggy back.

We saw what happened to Bundy. Maybe it was pine tar that helped him in 2020. Maybe it was just the shortened season (he wasn't pitching great towards the end). A lot of us, including myself, wanted to re-sign him. Thank fucking god we didn't.

Does Cobb carry the same risk? I don't know. But despite how well he has pitched I doubt he gets more than $15 million over 2 years. Is he worth that? More? Less? Stay the fuck away? 

I really don't know. I want a frontline starter but we also need a closer. Tough decision IMO.

I don't think so. 

I would be fine with bringing Cobb back, but it the money you pay him might prevent you from bringing in a TOR arm to slot in front of or behind Ohtani.  Here is what the rotation looks like with guys under contract next year:

Ohtani

Sandoval

Suarez

Detmers 

Rodriguez

Canning

Barria

Junk

Naughton

Bringing in a Cobb would certainly help as long as he stays healthy.  But I would like to go a little bit bigger than that.  Suarez and Barria are out of options, so they will have to be in the rotation, in the bullpen or out of the organization next year.  Suarez can slot in well in a revamped pen, but I do like him as a starter.  I also don’t like the thought of trying to stretch a guy like Suarez or Barria from the pen into the rotation without the ability to send them down to get stretched out. I want them to exhaust every opportunity to have Rodriquez start as possible.  So if we brought in a guy like Ray, or Stroman or even Scherzer then no to Cobb.  I truly think we are going to have quite the 40 man crunch next year that will see us lose guys like Ward, or Thaiss or Barria, most certainly Rojas.  

He's 33 and currently has his lowest ERA and WHIP since 2017, he has his highest SO/9, his lowest HR/9 and lowest FIP in any season.  He's also only pitched more than 150 innings 3 times in his career.  Just seems like a major candidate for regression.  No idea how the next CBA plays out but absent that I could see him getting a 2-3 year deal somewhere and I don't think it's a cost or risk the Angels should take.  If they do re-sign him I hope I'm wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would be fine with bringing Cobb back, but it the money you pay him might prevent you from bringing in a TOR arm to slot in front of or behind Ohtani.  Here is what the rotation looks like with guys under contract next year:

Ohtani

Sandoval

Suarez

Detmers 

Rodriguez

Canning

Barria

Junk

Naughton

Bringing in a Cobb would certainly help as long as he stays healthy.  But I would like to go a little bit bigger than that.  Suarez and Barria are out of options, so they will have to be in the rotation, in the bullpen or out of the organization next year.  Suarez can slot in well in a revamped pen, but I do like him as a starter.  I also don’t like the thought of trying to stretch a guy like Suarez or Barria from the pen into the rotation without the ability to send them down to get stretched out. I want them to exhaust every opportunity to have Rodriquez start as possible.  So if we brought in a guy like Ray, or Stroman or even Scherzer then no to Cobb.  I truly think we are going to have quite the 40 man crunch next year that will see us lose guys like Ward, or Thaiss or Barria, most certainly Rojas.  

Suarez first mlb appearance was year after Barria's.  How is he out if options?

Barria and Ward will probably be traded.  Thaiss or Rojas maybe let go.  Rojas OPS+ isnt that bad for a first season player.  Neither was Thaiss when he got consistent at bats. However one or both will be traded or released.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Bundy was a guy that had to be a different player to succeed and his only success was during a freak season.  Cobb's success is more repeatable, less volatile.   

I think you have to try to sign him because he actually wants to be here and there is no guarantee that front line starter will ever come.   For three years now I've been arguing that the needed to get out in front of free agency and lock up that midrange guy, we never do and we end scraping the bottom of the barrel looking at one year deals.   Sign Cobb, then try for the front line guy...what's the worst thing that happens?? You have too many good arms?

Yeah.... I'd love to have that problem.

You're not resigning Cobb to be a sub 3.00 guy, you're signing him to be a sub 4.00 guy.  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Bundy was a guy that had to be a different player to succeed and his only success was during a freak season.  Cobb's success is more repeatable, less volatile.   

I think you have to try to sign him because he actually wants to be here and there is no guarantee that front line starter will ever come.   For three years now I've been arguing that the needed to get out in front of free agency and lock up that midrange guy, we never do and we end scraping the bottom of the barrel looking at one year deals.   Sign Cobb, then try for the front line guy...what's the worst thing that happens?? You have too many good arms?

Yeah.... I'd love to have that problem.

You're not resigning Cobb to be a sub 3.00 guy, you're signing him to be a sub 4.00 guy.  

I think you're right, I'm just so fucking jaded. 

The rotation needs a veteran guy. If Cobb isn't re-signed, we don't have that. 

The peripherals indicate he should actually be better. But like you said the expectations are much lower.

And I guess Arte could still go after Scherzer or something. Would be nice to go into the 2022 with a rotation that fucking deep.

But does it even matter if they don't fix this shift nonsense?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Until we have no bullpen

I think we have some decent options for once. But we really do need a closer. Iglesias has been the best we've had since K-Rod. I think letting him go would be a massive mistake.

Paying money for relievers is always a huge risk, but I don't think we have any other choice.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I think we have some decent options for once. But we really do need a closer. Iglesias has been the best we've had since K-Rod. I think letting him go would be a massive mistake.

Paying money for relievers is always a huge risk, but I don't think we have any other choice.

I agree.  We need to bring back Iglesias and probably bring back Chisek and one bring in one more guy.  I could easily see a scenario where we use either Suarez or Rodriguez out of the pen, which would help solidly the pen.  

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Re-sgm Iglesias

2. Sign one of Schezer,Stroman..etc  Atleast a solid 3

3. Re-sign Cobb

I don’t think they will spend that much money.  If they resign Iglesias you are probably already looking at Cobb and while you may not be at your limit you are getting close.  Those two combined will get $25 million.  So then add a short stop, a back up catcher and a handful of useful pen arms and you are quickly at around $40 million.  

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think you're right, I'm just so fucking jaded. 

The rotation needs a veteran guy. If Cobb isn't re-signed, we don't have that. 

The peripherals indicate he should actually be better. But like you said the expectations are much lower.

And I guess Arte could still go after Scherzer or something. Would be nice to go into the 2022 with a rotation that fucking deep.

But does it even matter if they don't fix this shift nonsense?

I'm a Robbie Ray fan but that asshat may Cy Young his was out of the Angels price range.  But check his month to month splits.... Dude has gotten better throughout the year.  The guy I think will end up being someone's mistake is Gausman.  His second half has been kind of ugly.  Not sure if its a luck thing but he's getting slapped around a little bit.

More importantly yes...  The defense needs to be fixed.

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I know, but look at the numbers.  Just have a good enough pen where you use him correctly.  

This is the problem.

I haven't checked in a while, but Cishek was dead last in all of baseball (by a lot) for stranding baserunners. 

Do you think Maddon will suddenly stop using him in those situations?