• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daron Sutton let go

mmc

8 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

So many home team broadcasters literally spend most of their lives at the same job. Often till they die or face a scandal. Especially on radio. This had been going on since the 1920s.

They become almost like familiar friends to the hard core fans. Every anecdote, catch phrase or story lends to that familiarity. As well as the way they call games and discuss players.

Sutton was a newcomer as the team broadcaster and was trying to establish his own distinctive style. Personally I found him trying too hard to ingratiate himself, and it came off as a little too distracting. As a pure baseball home team play by play broadcaster he was adequate in the half season sample size. Listen to many of the other teams games and there are many about the same or worse. 

It's also about chemistry. He,  Gubi and Mota were a bit awkward together, but it does take time. 

Unless there were other undisclosed issues then this seems a strange thing to do only halfway into the season. And it means establishing new chemistry and familiarity all over again. Also just in half a season. It's only fair to give these broadcast teams a whole season from spring training on to work things out 

He's changed.

6 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Maybe Arte hit the mute button BECAUSE Sutton grated on his ears so much.

Whatever.

WOO HOO!!! SOUNDS LIKE MORE JOSE!!!!

AndyoureinfaborofthemuuusinjsemtaMOar?

When Gubi is sticking to his strengths, he's great. He's really insightful and a fantastic commentator. Where he gets tiresome is with the stupid keys to the game and other random crap apparently designed to make baseball fun for people who don't like baseball. Or something. I dunno. 

Either way, I'd be bummed if he left because I can live with the silliness in exchange for the actual insight he gives, which is really top notch. 

As for Sutton, I thought he was fine, but I preferred Matty V. Kinda surprised they kicked him to the curb. Must've pissed someone off behind the scenes. 

We need a long term solution to the TV Play by Play.

If it's Matty V fine just give us a consistent broadcast team.

As far as Sutton goes, he seemed like he was trying to hard to fit in (just the vibe I got).

I liked him better In his prior stint doing radio play by play, he didn't have to be on camera and I don't think he felt comfortable with the camera on him. 

I think he was better suited for the radio side .   

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Lol.  Probably because they're still trying to figure out who it will be...

I think they do know which is why they pulled the plug on Sutton. I liked Daron, but I don't think he's ready for primetime because let's face it.... the Angels have two of the biggest stars in MLB, so they need a good PBP guy or gal calling these games in the second half. 

Some of Sutton's Ohtani's home run calls were cringy and screamed amateur. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think they do know which is why they pulled the plug on Sutton. I liked Daron, but I don't think he's ready for primetime because let's face it.... the Angels have two of the biggest stars in MLB, so they need a good PBP calling these games in the second half. 

Some of Sutton's Ohtani's home run calls were cringy and screamed amateur. 

Oh, yeah, I'm with you there.  I was excited about him initially, because I had vague but fond memories of his days as the color guy on radio.  But he's not at all what I remembered...That said, it's still bizarre to dump a guy in the middle of a season unless there was some sort of incident...And I still think it's amateur hour not to just hire one guy to be the full-time PBP guy on TV.  Really hope they solve this for the long-term after the season.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Oh, yeah, I'm with you there.  I was excited about him initially, because I had vague but fond memories of his days as the color guy on radio.  But he's not at all what I remembered...That said, it's still bizarre to dump a guy in the middle of a season unless there was some sort of incident...And I still think it's amateur hour not to just hire one guy to be the full-time PBP guy on TV.  Really hope they solve this for the long-term after the season.

Oh I agree. This team needs a new voice of the Angels since Rojas' isn't our guy anymore. 

i'm still scratching my head over why they'd hire matt v. if they couldn't get him full time. just weird.

wasn't sutton hired just to fill in the gaps until matt could be here full time? or am i misremembering?

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'm still scratching my head over why they'd hire matt v. if they couldn't get him full time. just weird.

wasn't sutton hired just to fill in the gaps until matt could be here full time? or am i misremembering?

I don't think they ever said that Matt V. was coming here full time (unless *I'M* the one who's misremembering?).  I think they had always said it would be a two-man rotation and they didn't ever really specify how much each one would do.  It seemed to vary a lot depending on Matt V.'s availability.  At one point, I think he was missing for two weeks or more.

Again, they just need to hire a full-time person and sign them for at least a couple years.  Get some consistency and let fans get to know them.  I don't know why that's so hard.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

For some reason I had remembered Daron Sutton as part of the TV team in the late 90s/early 2000s. But looks like it was Daron on the radio (with Mario Impemba), because the Phys/Hudler team started in 1999.

I thought Sutton and Impemba did a pretty good job on the radio 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought Sutton and Impemba did a pretty good job on the radio 

Same. Those were my first years as an Angel fan. I went to a game with my dad in May 1998 (I was 9), and since then, I've been one of us.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-07-14/daron-sutton-very-surprised-angels-fired-him-play-by-play-broadcaster

Sutton still insists nothing happened and that neither the Angels nor Bally Sports West gave him a specific reason he was fired-- though BSW said it was the Angels' decision to get rid of him. This is so weird. 

23 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Yet somehow @Second Base had an inside source who knew something about it?

He didn't know something about it, he witnessed a very awkward conversation and said that he had no doubt it had something to do with what he witnessed.  He wasn't the only one there either. 

And I think you need to look at this from both points of view. The Angels can't come out and say they fired him for being too Christian. They'd have a PR nightmare and likely a lawsuit on their hands. And Sutton can't say he was fired for his beliefs and actions as a Christian. He'd paint himself a martyr and no team in baseball would ever want to hire him. 

It's just easier and smarter for both parties to just cut ties and say it wasn't a fit. 

Edited by Second Base

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

But both sides aren't doing that. Sutton has stated he has no idea why he was fired.

That's true. And I suppose that's another way to go about things. Perhaps he suspects why, but hasn't been given a reason. I don't know why Sutton says he has no idea.