• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daron Sutton let go

mmc

I'll just assume that they didn't like what he brought to the broadcast.  I liked him, but mostly because of the nostalgia of when he was here before.  I also looked past the rambling of college dude this and wood bat coach this, because he was believable as a fan of the team.  It's California, so they can terminate for no reason.  So even if it was religious based, which I doubt it is, as long as they don't say it was religious based they can terminate.  It's shitty, and I have never experienced it, but I am sure it happens.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'll just assume that they didn't like what he brought to the broadcast.  I liked him, but mostly because of the nostalgia of when he was here before.  I also looked past the rambling of college dude this and wood bat coach this, because he was believable as a fan of the team.  It's California, so they can terminate for no reason.  So even if it was religious based, which I doubt it is, as long as they don't say it was religious based they can terminate.  It's shitty, and I have never experienced it, but I am sure it happens.  

Even if it was just that they didn't like what he brought to the broadcast, have you ever heard of a team dismissing someone mid-season like that?  There may be other examples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.  And given that he was only a part-timer, anyway, it's just bizarre that they'd do that and bring in ANOTHER part-timer with zero connection to/familiarity with the team.  The whole situation is flat-out strange.  Meanwhile, Vasgersian will presumably still keep popping in and out with no set schedule, and with no indication that either he or Waltz will be here beyond this year. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Even if it was just that they didn't like what he brought to the broadcast, have you ever heard of a team dismissing someone mid-season like that?  There may be other examples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.  And given that he was only a part-timer, anyway, it's just bizarre that they'd do that and bring in ANOTHER part-timer with zero connection to/familiarity with the team.  The whole situation is flat-out strange.  Meanwhile, Vasgersian will presumably still keep popping in and out with no set schedule, and with no indication that either he or Waltz will be here beyond this year. 

No, I have never heard of it, then again, I have never heard of a team having two part time "main announcers".

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/daron-sutton-thinks-departure-from-angels-may-have-been-spurred-by-team-ownership.html

The quotes below are actually from The Athletic, but are excerpted in the above link: 

Sutton said he believed it was an Angels decision, and suspected it came from the top of the organization.

“I know it wasn’t on the baseball side. We always communicate with [manager] Joe [Maddon]. It’s a pretty small organization,” Sutton said. “And very few people, I think, in that organization, have the power to influence something like this besides the highest level.

“So it’s my assumption that it was leadership at the highest level, in ownership.”

Sutton said he never met with owner Arte Moreno during his brief stint with the team. He said he wasn’t given a reason for why he was fired, but assumed that his work “wasn’t exactly what they wanted.”

Sutton said the decision came “completely without incident,” noting he hadn’t faced any discipline in his tenure with the Angels.

I'm not much for the Arte conspiracies but he's always been big on the fan experience and I can totally see him not being into a play by play guy and calling for his head.   If he isn't into them,then maybe he thinks the guy isn't connecting with fans either...  Anyway..  He's the type to make that call pretty easily IMO.