• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daron Sutton let go

mmc

For whatever reason, but the temporary return maybe turned out to be in sympathy for Don, rather, too.

Dave Sims of the M's is among my favs, but likely unavailable.  Whether $ might be involved that Arte decided that he no longer wants to pay for 2, Vasgersian has ended up a Catch-22 puzzler in the mix that he should only go with 1 to begin with.  

Doesn't flatter the organization. Give the guy the full season and revisit the situation later. 

I found him a bit cloying and pandering, but no worse than so many other broadcasters. 

Having MLB Extra Innings I've heard almost all the home announcers of the other teams in the majors. The overwhelming majority are explicit  homers, openly cheering for their team, nearly oblivious of the opposition and rarely disagreeing with obvious umpire calls that favor their team. Some are so one sided that I mute the sound. Seems part of the culture of expectations for baseball. With 162 games to broadcast they are thought of as on the team, giving support to the home audience. They are not objective or impartial. That's part of their job description it seems.

Within such a framework Sutton may not have met the expectations of his bosses.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-07-11/angels-broadcaster-daron-sutton-done-for-the-season

“This was definitely more of a trial or test than I understood when we started,” Sutton said via text Sunday. “I enjoyed every second of this opportunity and will cherish the memories always. I am proud of every moment of television the Bally Sports team produced, that I was a part of, without incident, and to the joy and satisfaction of so many.”

So, yeah, there was definitely an incident... 🤣

Sutton is a good guy, but as I've come to understand, this is an issue regarding his faith, and his openness of it, and how it has affected his work relationships.  He's mentioned God on air a few times and uses faith specific vocabulary, and hasn't altered his approach to broadcasting, in spite of multiple warnings from producers. 

Make of that what you will, but I've been told this from a reliable source. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Sutton is a good guy, but as I've come to understand, this is an issue regarding his faith, and his openness of it, and how it has affected his work relationships.  He's mentioned God on air a few times and uses faith specific vocabulary, and hasn't altered his approach to broadcasting, in spite of multiple warnings from producers. 

Who?

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Wtf

Sutton seemed like a good guy, but his lack of baseball knowledge is a big part of what canned him.

For example, during a game against the A's, he made a comment about Luzardo, who happened to be pitching in relief, that "He would be a big part of the A's bullpen, right?", to Gubi and Mark had to correct him as even a lot of casual fans know Jesus is an ace-level starter in baseball.

He would constantly ask questions of Mark on-air and quite frankly I felt a lot of his commentary was a bit elementary.

I will note that over the last 3 weeks or so, he was improving a bit, but it was to little, to late.

Wish him well, but this was the right decision, I think. Mark and Mota both know a lot more about the game.

21 minutes ago, ettin said:

Sutton seemed like a good guy, but his lack of baseball knowledge is a big part of what canned him.

For example, during a game against the A's, he made a comment about Luzardo, who happened to be pitching in relief, that "He would be a big part of the A's bullpen, right?", to Gubi and Mark had to correct him as even a lot of casual fans know Jesus is an ace-level starter in baseball.

He would constantly ask questions of Mark on-air and quite frankly I felt a lot of his commentary was a bit elementary.

I will note that over the last 3 weeks or so, he was improving a bit, but it was to little, to late.

Wish him well, but this was the right decision, I think. Mark and Mota both know a lot more about the game.

That’s weird because he isn’t new to this. 

32 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not sure.  But I just find it very odd that someone would include specific language saying "without incident" in a text/press release like that.  It's so awkward and sticks out!

Yep. Sounds like something that his reps would include.