• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daron Sutton let go

mmc

16 minutes ago, Adam said:

Gubi is worse than any play by play guy we've ever had

I, like others, don't have access to Bally West on my satellite.

Every time I think about lifting a finger to remedy this to watch Angels games, the second thought is "I'll have to listen to Gubi again", and the moment passes.

Just now, yk9001 said:

Every time I think about lifting a finger to remedy this to watch Angels games, the second thought is "I'll have to listen to Gubi again", and the moment passes.

It's 2021, watch it online. 

7 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

If he didn't pronounce "locate" like a fuckass he'd be 100x better

So many home team broadcasters literally spend most of their lives at the same job. Often till they die or face a scandal. Especially on radio. This had been going on since the 1920s.

They become almost like familiar friends to the hard core fans. Every anecdote, catch phrase or story lends to that familiarity. As well as the way they call games and discuss players.

Sutton was a newcomer as the team broadcaster and was trying to establish his own distinctive style. Personally I found him trying too hard to ingratiate himself, and it came off as a little too distracting. As a pure baseball home team play by play broadcaster he was adequate in the half season sample size. Listen to many of the other teams games and there are many about the same or worse. 

It's also about chemistry. He,  Gubi and Mota were a bit awkward together, but it does take time. 

Unless there were other undisclosed issues then this seems a strange thing to do only halfway into the season. And it means establishing new chemistry and familiarity all over again. Also just in half a season. It's only fair to give these broadcast teams a whole season from spring training on to work things out 

33 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

So many home team broadcasters literally spend most of their lives at the same job. Often till they die or face a scandal. Especially on radio. This had been going on since the 1920s.

They become almost like familiar friends to the hard core fans. Every anecdote, catch phrase or story lends to that familiarity. As well as the way they call games and discuss players.

Sutton was a newcomer as the team broadcaster and was trying to establish his own distinctive style. Personally I found him trying too hard to ingratiate himself, and it came off as a little too distracting. As a pure baseball home team play by play broadcaster he was adequate in the half season sample size. Listen to many of the other teams games and there are many about the same or worse. 

It's also about chemistry. He,  Gubi and Mota were a bit awkward together, but it does take time. 

Unless there were other undisclosed issues then this seems a strange thing to do only halfway into the season. And it means establishing new chemistry and familiarity all over again. Also just in half a season. It's only fair to give these broadcast teams a whole season from spring training on to work things out 

Considering this is the same management who have given Terry Smith 20 years to right the ship, and have employed Roger Lodge for over a decade, I can only think there was an off-air issue.

Outside of an announcer uttering a derogatory slur, I can't think of an announcer shitcanned mid season for poor performance.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am glad to see this thread is not pumped full of suggestions to hire Erstad or Percival or any of the other standard 2002 knee-jerk nostalgic candidates suggested for literally every open Angel job for the last 15 years.

Maybe they should move Salmon from Post Game into the booth!!!

btw, if you ever read this message board and wondered why people savagely disparage Gubicza, just listen to his comments on Ohtani's moon shot.

Ohtani has just hit a blast that everyone is in awe of - and Gubicza remarks "That was his 11th home run off left handed pitching."

Jesus, man.  Talk about not feeling the moment.  Because Ohtani hit a once-a-season shot, and Gubicza is going to tell us that Ohtani has hit a full 33% of his hrs off left-handed pitching.  Just what everyone wanted to know at that moment.

20 hours ago, NrM said:

I guess Sutton had too much personality and charisma for the Angels? I haven't watched many games this year but he always seemed to bring it whenever Ohtani hit a bomb.

Definitely weird considering Gubi and Mota still have jobs. No one enjoys listening to them. Most either dislike or are indifferent.

l like Gubi

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

btw, if you ever read this message board and wondered why people savagely disparage Gubicza, just listen to his comments on Ohtani's moon shot.

Ohtani has just hit a blast that everyone is in awe of - and Gubicza remarks "That was his 11th home run off left handed pitching."

Jesus, man.  Talk about not feeling the moment.  Because Ohtani hit a once-a-season shot, and Gubicza is going to tell us that Ohtani has hit a full 33% of his hrs off left-handed pitching.  Just what everyone wanted to know at that moment.

I wanted to know it.

6 hours ago, ettin said:

WHAT?!?!?

I think this may be the first take from you, I fully don't agree with! 😅

Fair enough. I know I’m in the minority on this.

I tired of Victor because of two reasons: he and Gubi made me feel like I was intruding on a private conversation far too often, as they often seemed to forget the audience was listening. They also would have these big gaps of odd silence as if they were ignoring the audience or doing something in private, and I didn’t like that at all.

When he stuck to the game he was very good, and his DRIVE. HOME. SAFELY! call was perfect.