• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think Ohtanimania (2021) is bigger than Wally World (1986) was?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not even close. Ohtanimania is way more talked about than Wally World. Japan is no doubt following how Ohtani does, especially when he's doing incredible things this season. What Ohtani has done this season is being really followed by two countries. And Wally World isn't even bigger than Troutmania (2012) either. Wally World, I doubt not too many people know what that means, nor did it help change baseball. What Trout did in 2012 with his excellent all-around play helped changed the game. Many people only know of WAR (Wins Above Replacement) because of what Trout did in 2012. But Trout's 2012 performance has its effects on baseball. Because of him, guys like Heyward and Gorodn both got paid like superstar players even though they were never on that level because of wins above replacement. And teams know where a player plays his best defense now because of defensive WAR. A good example is Machado. His defense at shortstop is not good but his defense at third base is terrific and defensive WAR proves that. And the Padres currently puts him at third base. All of that ties back to Trout's 2012 season. 

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why don’t we not compare Ohtani to Wally. It would be cool if Ohtani wins and doesn’t disappear into obscurity 

Wally didn't disappear into obscurity. He was beloved by Angels fans, performed decently in KC, killed it with the Padres, and if it weren't for Mattingly, would probably have a mantle full of Gold Gloves and a few more all-star selections. He carved out a very solid career and is still popular around the league amongst managers and coaches. 

He's no more obscure than someone like Eric Hosmer or Rhys Hoskins today.

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

Wally didn't disappear into obscurity. He was beloved by Angels fans, performed decently in KC, killed it with the Padres, and if it weren't for Mattingly, would probably have a mantle full of Gold Gloves and a few more all-star selections. He carved out a very solid career and is still popular around the league amongst managers and coaches. 

He's no more obscure than someone like Eric Hosmer or Rhys Hoskins today.

He had the magical rookie year.  And that was that.  Angels wise. 

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

If you go by OPS+, his rookie year was his 4th best season as an Angel.

I was an even dumber baby when Wally World was going on than I am now, but I’ve read the book “Once they were Angels - A history of the team” and also the “Under the Halo” official team history book and both give me the impression that the Wally Joyner era for the Angels was a disappointment.  Considering the rookie year.  Also.  The rain out stuff that they run on Wally on fox sports/Bally gives the same impression.  So that’s the idea I carry around. 

Edited by UndertheHalo