• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Stassi

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

His defense is above league average but his bat is elite for a catcher. He will get paid when he hits free agency if he stays at this level of production for the year. Like Realmuto paid. 

Ok, let's not go crazy.  Realmuto signed for an average of $23M/year for 5 years after 6 seasons of consistently solid offensive and defensive production.  To this point in his career, Stassi has about as many total at bats as Realmuto had in one of his full seasons.  They're almost exactly the same age (born 3 days apart), but Stassi will be hitting free agency at 2 years older than Realmuto did.  

Even if Stassi continues to hit well this season, there's still next year before he's a free agent.  MAYBE if he stays healthy and still hits extremely well next season, too, he gets into the same universe as Realmuto-- but there's almost no chance he'll get a similar deal in terms of length or overall dollars. 

3 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Have we seen enough to say this guy is a legit top of the line catcher on both sides of the ball yet? 

in short, no because the sample size is so small.

i think he's absolutely headed in the right direction, and there's a lot of promise here that could pay off big, but he's missed a lot of games, and i think some longevity needs to be in place first before we start making proclamations.

this is a fanbase that very easily swings the pendulum from 'all in' to 'trade them all' in a new york minute. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

While my preference is to keep "The Stassi" if that's what we're calling him now.... I would trade him in a heartbeat if it netted us a catching and pitching prospect in the top 100 prospects list. 

that seems like a backwards step to me. this guy is starting to play well. keep him and let him play. i would not trade him because then you'd have to start all over again at catcher.

People are gassing him up a bit too much.  He's been good but he has only 1 season where he played over half the games, 88 in 2018.  Only one other season with over 50, 51 in 2019 (in which he was terrible).  He's 30 and has yet to have a season of being anything even resembling a starting catcher.  I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to him being the solution to our catching woes, and I'd still prefer to get an actual starter, or at least a true 1B type.

3 hours ago, happybat4 said:

Ianetta was just as good as Molina. I think Molina was a bit over rated. Look at his WAR, nothing special.

True. I hesitated on Molina, as he is more beloved for being part of the 2002 team than his actual ability, although he was very solid behind the plate, just kind of mediocre next to it. I forgot that Iannetta played on the Angels for four years - for some reason I thought it was 2.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I wouldn’t trade Stassi, but I would certainly listen.  I totally get what you are saying about Raisel, but one year of control versus two years is a huge difference.  

I would listen on anyone other than Trout and Ohtani. I think, also, that contending teams tend to overpay on elite (or sub-elite) closers in late July, so I'm guessing that Minasian hopes to cash in. Stassi would likely have more trade value in the offseason, when he's (hopefully) proven that he can both stay healthy and maintain a good offensive level. I don't expect a .290/.900 going forward, but as someone said about, .250/.800 would be huge.

13 minutes ago, mmc said:

People are gassing him up a bit too much.  He's been good but he has only 1 season where he played over half the games, 88 in 2018.  Only one other season with over 50, 51 in 2019 (in which he was terrible).  He's 30 and has yet to have a season of being anything even resembling a starting catcher.  I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to him being the solution to our catching woes, and I'd still prefer to get an actual starter, or at least a true 1B type.

Suny Binghamton GIF by Binghamton University

3 hours ago, Tank said:

in short, no because the sample size is so small.

i think he's absolutely headed in the right direction, and there's a lot of promise here that could pay off big, but he's missed a lot of games, and i think some longevity needs to be in place first before we start making proclamations.

this is a fanbase that very easily swings the pendulum from 'all in' to 'trade them all' in a new york minute. 

One minute AW members want to resign Bundy and Heaney now they hope to get low A ball catching prospect.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ok, let's not go crazy.  Realmuto signed for an average of $23M/year for 5 years after 6 seasons of consistently solid offensive and defensive production.  To this point in his career, Stassi has about as many total at bats as Realmuto had in one of his full seasons.  They're almost exactly the same age (born 3 days apart), but Stassi will be hitting free agency at 2 years older than Realmuto did.  

Even if Stassi continues to hit well this season, there's still next year before he's a free agent.  MAYBE if he stays healthy and still hits extremely well next season, too, he gets into the same universe as Realmuto-- but there's almost no chance he'll get a similar deal in terms of length or overall dollars. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

If he continues for rest of this season he would be a good extension type player. 3 years 15 mill.

4 hours ago, mmc said:

You're kind of going too far the other way, though. Why not see how he does over the course of the rest of the year, and then decide whether you want "an actual starter?" 

Not sure what you mean by "true 1B type." Isn't that Walsh?

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You're kind of going too far the other way, though. Why not see how he does over the course of the rest of the year, and then decide whether you want "an actual starter?" 

Not sure what you mean by "true 1B type." Isn't that Walsh?

No because I’m anxious for this team to compete so I don’t want to wait on an injury prone catcher. 

and by 1B, I mean a 1A/1B type catching tandem where we have two guys that are above replacement level and we can be comfortable with both playing 80+ games

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

His age alone will keep him from that sort of a payday.  

A good comp for him might be McCann.  Like McCaann, Stassi was a defense first guy before breaking out offensively a couple years before his FA.  Stassi will be a year older than McCann currently is and with a spottier record of health, but 4 years 40 mil seems like a decent place for him should his offense continue to be somewhere around 15-20% above league average.

I think Stassi is a combination of Johnny Bench, Yadier Molina and Carlton Fisk. I think he’ll get 5 years, $150 million. He will also steal Kate Upton away from Verlander and win Dancing with the Stars.

Fight me, if you disagree.