• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The All-Angels Prospect Bust Team

Mike Nunn, Paul Dade, Billy Taylor, Richard Dotson, Bob Kipper, Mike Cook, Mark Doran, Erik Pappas, Willie Fraser, Terry Carr, Jim DeNeff, Mike Fetters, Daryl Green, Kyle Abbott, Jorge Fabregas, Pete Janicki,Jeff Schmidt, McKay Christensen, Serh Etherton, Joe Torres, Chris Boothchech, Trevor Bell, Hank Conger, Jonathan Bachanov, Tyler Kehrer, Chevy Clarke, Taylor Lindsey and Ryan Bolder all former first round halo picks.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This could go in the Minors thread, but thought it might be fun on its own. The idea is to assemble a team of former Angels prospects who were highly regarded by at least some fans but never it in the big leagues - or, at least, weren't nearly as good as hoped (e.g. Kotchman made it, but was hugely disappointing).

C Todd Greene (or John Orton)

1B Casey Kotchman

2B Brian Specht

SS Brandon Wood

3B Dallas McPherson (honorable mention: George Arias)

OF Chris Pettit

OF Mike Colangelo

OF Nathan Haynes

I'll leave the pitching to y'all, mainly because I'm too lazy to do more research, plus I don't want to type something that rhymes with "Rick Ladencart."

I don’t consider McPherson a “bust”because it wasn’t a talent issue.  His back basically fell apart.

How about a team adding active players that we traded, or drafted and didn't sign, or lost to waivers/FA that never played for the MLB team?
C- Buster Posey (drafted in '05)
1B- Jared Walsh
2B- David Fletcher
3B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jose Iglesias
LF- Justin Upton
CF- Mike Trout
RF- Randal Grichuk
DH- Shohei Ohtani
Rotation- Kyle Hendricks (drafted in '08) , Patrick Corbin, Mike Clevinger, Andrew Heaney, Griffin Canning, Shohei Ohtani
Bullpen- Sean Newcomb, Yency Almonte, Austin Adams, Isaac Mattson, Kyle McGowin, Brandon Morrow?, Josh Osich 
Closer-  Will Smith

Kind of ironic how catcher, RF, SP and RP - the areas we need the most help - would have benefitted the most.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

How about a team adding active players that we traded, or drafted and didn't sign, or lost to waivers/FA that never played for the MLB team?
C- Buster Posey (drafted in '05)
1B- Jared Walsh
2B- David Fletcher
3B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jose Iglesias
LF- Justin Upton
CF- Mike Trout
RF- Randal Grichuk
DH- Shohei Ohtani
Rotation- Kyle Hendricks (drafted in '08) , Patrick Corbin, Mike Clevinger, Andrew Heaney, Griffin Canning, Shohei Ohtani
Bullpen- Sean Newcomb, Yency Almonte, Austin Adams, Isaac Mattson, Kyle McGowin, Brandon Morrow?, Josh Osich 
Closer-  Will Smith

Kind of ironic how catcher, RF, SP and RP - the areas we need the most help - would have benefitted the most.

We drafted the 'Black Knight" , but couldn't convince him to sign.

1 hour ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Does Sean Rodriguez fit the mold? I know he went and had a decent career for other teams but I remember the hype on him being somewhat high...

Damn, I had forgotten about him. 

Definitely a disappointment, but it's hard to call someone a bust when they had a 13-year MLB career. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Totally forgot that we drafted and traded Atlanta's closer Will Smith.

Also drafted but didn't sign Kyle Hendricks.

We also drafted but didn't sign Buster Posey.

Edit: Duh. You just mentioned him.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Specht was a shortstop, not a 2nd baseman. The batboy promoted him as much as Trump has promoted the big steal. Specht was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and retired from baseball.

Yep -- he was a Stephen Smith creation.   He was a top 10 guy only because he was in the system at the lowest pre-Dipoto point in the farm's existence.   I actually thought Keith Luuloa was a better prospect, Aaron Guiel too.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jackie Warner, Eli Grba, Tom Satriano, Steve Bilko, Matt Thaiss, Ed Kirkpatrick, Bo Belinsky

Steve Bilko? He was at the end of his career. He was mostly a AAA player. Jackie Warner had a career of a couple of months. He was also a cousin of one of my high school friends.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, Angelsjunky said:

That's why I said, "or at least weren't nearly as good as hyped." The point being, players that were/are busts relative to fan expectations. Specht, for example, was quite beloved by a lot of fans. 

I remember thinking Kotchman would be a non-Coors version of Todd Helton. Then I recalibrated and hoped for Mark Grace. Then he became Robb Quinlan with playing time.

I'd also include injuries within the field of being a bust.

As for Goodwin, he was before my time as a cognizant fan but looking at his stats, he wasn't half bad as a part-time player. I wonder why he didn't get more playing time. AO?

Meh, he was horrible. But, we included him a huge TRADE for Disco Danny Ford!! He was just a bat off the bench with limited pop. He had a couple decent seasons in PT At bats couldn't even break into the lineup on some terrible Twins teams.

Ron "Poppa Jack" Jackson was a better player off the bench and part time DH.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Mike Nunn, Paul Dade, Billy Taylor, Richard Dotson, Bob Kipper, Mike Cook, Mark Doran, Erik Pappas, Willie Fraser, Terry Carr, Jim DeNeff, Mike Fetters, Daryl Green, Kyle Abbott, Jorge Fabregas, Pete Janicki,Jeff Schmidt, McKay Christensen, Serh Etherton, Joe Torres, Chris Boothchech, Trevor Bell, Hank Conger, Jonathan Bachanov, Tyler Kehrer, Chevy Clarke, Taylor Lindsey and Ryan Bolder all former first round halo picks.

Dotson was traded before ever getting to the majors (Downing trade).  He did ultimately win 22 games for the ChiSox in 1983 and won 111 MLB games.

Edited by Angel Oracle