• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The All-Angels Prospect Bust Team

This could go in the Minors thread, but thought it might be fun on its own. The idea is to assemble a team of former Angels prospects who were highly regarded by at least some fans but never it in the big leagues - or, at least, weren't nearly as good as hoped (e.g. Kotchman made it, but was hugely disappointing).

C Todd Greene (or John Orton)

1B Casey Kotchman

2B Brian Specht

SS Brandon Wood

3B Dallas McPherson (honorable mention: George Arias)

OF Chris Pettit

OF Mike Colangelo

OF Nathan Haynes

I'll leave the pitching to y'all, mainly because I'm too lazy to do more research, plus I don't want to type something that rhymes with "Rick Ladencart."

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This could go in the Minors thread, but thought it might be fun on its own. The idea is to assemble a team of former Angels prospects who were highly regarded by at least some fans but never it in the big leagues - or, at least, weren't nearly as good as hoped (e.g. Kotchman made it, but was hugely disappointing).

C Todd Greene (or John Orton)

1B Casey Kotchman

2B Brian Specht

SS Brandon Wood

3B Dallas McPherson (honorable mention: George Arias)

OF Chris Pettit

OF Mike Colangelo

OF Nathan Haynes

I'll leave the pitching to y'all, mainly because I'm too lazy to do more research, plus I don't want to type something that rhymes with "Rick Ladencart."

Yeah, I don't really view anyone on that list a bust save for Brandon Wood and Arias.

Greene never lived up to the hype but 11 years in the majors is a pretty decent run and for all his "bust-dom" his hype pales in comparison to the guy that was drafted 1-1 overall TWICE..  Danny Goodwin may be in the running for the biggest bust of all time,

Kotch managed what 7-8 WAR for his career?  Maybe more importantly the Angels got value out of him when they used him in a trade, and then eventually turned that guy into the pick that landed Trout.  Also Daryl Sconiers played 1B.  

Specht I don't think anyone viewed as a prospect save for maybe Angels fans under the spell of Stephen Smith.  Bobby Rose was significantly more hyped at 2B and absolutely fell flat on his face -- great career in Japan though. Damion Easley was a pretty big bust at 2B for the Angels and he too ended up having a nice career elsewhere.

D-Mac, inuries..   Arias definitely fits as a guy Angels fans were geeked over.

Bobby Clark, Mike Brown, were probably bigger busts in the OF than the guys you listed.   I used to write novels about how Nathan Haynes wasn't a prospect.

Pitching wise.  Pete Janicki, Matt Perisho, Seth Etherton, were all probably busts on some level.  Janicki sorta falls into the DMac category, injuries killed his career before it even got started in the minors.  Etherton was more of a completely awful draft pick that was talked up to make people not notice how he was an awful draft pick.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, I don't really view anyone on that list a bust save for Brandon Wood and Arias.

Greene never lived up to the hype but 11 years in the majors is a pretty decent run and for all his "bust-dom" his hype pales in comparison to the guy that was drafted 1-1 overall TWICE..  Danny Goodwin may be in the running for the biggest bust of all time,

Kotch managed what 7-8 WAR for his career?  Maybe more importantly the Angels got value out of him when they used him in a trade, and then eventually turned that guy into the pick that landed Trout.  Also Daryl Sconiers played 1B.  

Specht I don't think anyone viewed as a prospect save for maybe Angels fans under the spell of Stephen Smith.  Bobby Rose was significantly more hyped at 2B and absolutely fell flat on his face -- great career in Japan though. Damion Easley was a pretty big bust at 2B for the Angels and he too ended up having a nice career elsewhere.

D-Mac, inuries..   Arias definitely fits as a guy Angels fans were geeked over.

Bobby Clark, Mike Brown, were probably bigger busts in the OF than the guys you listed.   I used to write novels about how Nathan Haynes wasn't a prospect.

Pitching wise.  Pete Janicki, Matt Perisho, Seth Etherton, were all probably busts on some level.  Janicki sorta falls into the DMac category, injuries killed his career before it even got started in the minors.  Etherton was more of a completely awful draft pick than was talked up to make people not notice how he was an awful draft pick.

That's why I said, "or at least weren't nearly as good as hyped." The point being, players that were/are busts relative to fan expectations. Specht, for example, was quite beloved by a lot of fans. 

I remember thinking Kotchman would be a non-Coors version of Todd Helton. Then I recalibrated and hoped for Mark Grace. Then he became Robb Quinlan with playing time.

I'd also include injuries within the field of being a bust.

As for Goodwin, he was before my time as a cognizant fan but looking at his stats, he wasn't half bad as a part-time player. I wonder why he didn't get more playing time. AO?

57 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's why I said, "or at least weren't nearly as good as hyped." The point being, players that were/are busts relative to fan expectations. Specht, for example, was quite beloved by a lot of fans. 

I remember thinking Kotchman would be a non-Coors version of Todd Helton. Then I recalibrated and hoped for Mark Grace. Then he became Robb Quinlan with playing time.

As for Goodwin, he was before my time as a cognizant fan but looking at his stats, he wasn't half bad as a part-time player. I wonder why he didn't get more playing time. AO?

My guess was that he wasn’t very good as a catcher, and his career OPS was .670.

He did show some glimpses of offense with the Twins in 1979 (.830 OPS in 170 at bats).   That’s it though.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Before my time too, but he's the only two time first overall pick and as such has some historical significance.  And if it's an all busts list, maybe worth looking at the guys before our times.   

But sure, if "the point" is it's a list of guys fans liked and they view as busts... pretty much anyone fits the bill.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

For Kotchman we got half a year Teixeira and a draft pick that got us Trout.  That is a great success

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There are scouts that actually say he was one of the best HS players they ever saw and will argue that his time away for his Mormon mission robbed him of a MLB career.   It really is kinda impressive he actually made it to the majors.

I had no idea he was an Angels draft pick. (When I was a kid I didn't pay attention to anything except the starting 9, basically.) I remember him with the Dodgers and how fast he was. 

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

I had no idea he was an Angels draft pick. (When I was a kid I didn't pay attention to anything except the starting 9, basically.) I remember him with the Dodgers and how fast he was. 

He was a legit legend with area scouts.  One of those guys who people would mention and then you'd hear them tell a story about something they saw him do in HS.