• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols released...

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

No he's not, by pretty much any measure. During his Cardinals career it looked like he was going to ensconce himself with Gehrig and Foxx as one of the three greatest first basemen ever, and he has ended up fourth all-time in WAR among 1B, but he's far closer to the pack than to those two.

Check it out here. (We can ignore Musial, who played more in the OF than at 1B). Or to put it another way:

1. Gehrig 116.3

2. Foxx 101.8

3. Anson 91.2

4. Pujols 87.0

5. Connor 86.2

6. Bagwell 80.2

Etc.

For wRC+ he's further back in the pack: #20 with 142, and behind guys like Thomas (154), Bagwell (149), Votto (149), Thome (145), and Miggy (144), and tied with Killebrew.

And of course among all position players, he's #28 in WAR and #57 in wRC+ -- both still really good, but there are dozens of greater players.

The only way to call him one of the ten best ever is to ignore his Angels career, and even then he wouldn't have the longevity and would be almost tied with Bagwell in terms of WAR, barely in the top 40. Unfortunately for Pujols, the whole career counts and his second half was just bad and tarnishes his overall greatness.

I'm fine with WAR and wRC+ and shit like that. I get it.

But you can't just completely overlook the "old people" stats.

He's 3rd all time in RBI's. Only Ruth and Aaron have more.

He's 5th all time in doubles. Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Pete Rose, and Stan Musial are ahead of him.

He's 5th all time in homeruns. 

So yeah, WAR is great. wRC+. Find some more stats that he isn't impressive in. 

He's in the top 5 in HR, doubles, and RBI's and is 32nd all time in WAR. 

Saying he's one of the top 10 players all time is not at all a ridiculous statement. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

No he's not, by pretty much any measure. During his Cardinals career it looked like he was going to ensconce himself with Gehrig and Foxx as one of the three greatest first basemen ever, and he has ended up fourth all-time in WAR among 1B, but he's far closer to the pack than to those two.

Check it out here. (We can ignore Musial, who played more in the OF than at 1B). Or to put it another way:

1. Gehrig 116.3

2. Foxx 101.8

3. Anson 91.2

4. Pujols 87.0

5. Connor 86.2

6. Bagwell 80.2

Etc.

For wRC+ he's further back in the pack: #20 with 142, and behind guys like Thomas (154), Bagwell (149), Votto (149), Thome (145), and Miggy (144), and tied with Killebrew.

And of course among all position players, he's #28 in WAR and #57 in wRC+ -- both still really good, but there are dozens of greater players.

The only way to call him one of the ten best ever is to ignore his Angels career, and even then he wouldn't have the longevity and would be almost tied with Bagwell in terms of WAR, barely in the top 40. Unfortunately for Pujols, the whole career counts and his second half was just bad and tarnishes his overall greatness.

I think the fact that him and Hammering Hank are the only 2 players ever with over 3000 hits and 600 doubles and 600 home runs or something like that puts him higher on that list. He has more home runs, more rbi's etc than Gehrig, Foxx and Anson do too. These are not my opinions just what people might be looking at.

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

Good fucken bye don't let the door hit you on your 44 year life.. You're a POS that has been stealing money for the past 8 years. This makes me happy I been calling for it for a very long Time over my entire 19 posts on this site. Fuck Pujols 

Fixed it

The abrupt way this ended is somewhat stunning. I hope we get the full story at some point, because the speculation is going to be crazy stupid otherwise.

I have mixed feelings about the guy. I never really hated him, but just sort of tolerated his presence on the team as a fan.

I have often thought about the incident with Torii Hunter calling him out as being selfish. I have always viewed him in that light. 

I also think about his relationship with Trout and all the good he has done with his foundation. I think he's a good man. A charitable man. 

He's also prideful which is to his detriment, IMO.

I don't feel sorry for him, but it's sad he has to go out like this. Again, mixed feelings...

At the end of the day, I just want to see the Angels win. He wasn't helping that effort. Hasn't for a while. Obviously.

I said this earlier, but I never thought Arte would do this. That makes it stunning.