• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Shohei Ohtani to 2 year, $8.5 million deal, avoiding arbitration

mmc

Smart to avoid lingering acrimony from the raw confrontational process of arbitration. Also consider that he doesn't speak English yet (not sure if he's learning) and even with an agent communication might indirectly lead to misunderstanding. 

He gets more than he asked for, and the Angels have a few years to see how he performs in different roles. If he returns to rookie form hitting and/or pitching the team benefits short term and he benefits longer term with another better deal. And sees if he can continue to be a two player. Even potentially play on the field.

If his performance is status quo 2020 (excepting health issues)  or regressive in one or both roles then everything is revisited again. 

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Definitely like that they left the final year or arbitration open for either an extension or to cut bait.  

I think this dramatically reduces the chances of the Angels non-tendering him in arb 3. $5.5 mil in his fifth year wont merit a pay increase beyond his reasonably projected value in year six.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The contract is two years, but he's got a third year of arbitration in 2023, so three years of club control.

My guess is that the Angels are thinking that either:

1) He actualizes his potential as a two-way star, so they buy out the third year with a big extension.

2) He struggles and/or becomes a hitter only, they pay the third year of arbitration and re-evaluate come 2023.

If he's only a hitter, then they'll need to assess whether they even need him. I'd think his best shot as a position player would be at 1B; the outfield is pretty crowded for the next decade.

This! At some point he will either be Both or a DH/RF but this also allows this year as his return from TJ and inning limit. And if he returns to Japan form then next year is a bonus. Or, they know for sure it's a one way or the other and they can move on, on the pitching side.

23 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

This seems pretty team-friendly.  A salary of more than $5.5M seems pretty likely in Arb2.

It's a minor thing, but doesn't making this a two-year deal create an AAV reduction in 2022?  Gives us another million or two in flexibility to come in under the cap...

Yeah, it does.

On 2/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, Capital_Dave said:

This seems pretty team-friendly.  A salary of more than $5.5M seems pretty likely in Arb2.

It's a minor thing, but doesn't making this a two-year deal create an AAV reduction in 2022?  Gives us another million or two in flexibility to come in under the cap...

(Deleted my first response because I thought you were talking about 21. For 22, you’re right)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

7 hours ago, rafibomb said:

God I wish he pitches like this again.

I think he absolutely still can. He's still very young and has many years ahead of him. Modern day medicine is very advanced and reports have said that he's been airing it out this offseason and training extremely hard. 

Him finally having a regular offseason as well and a normal Spring Training should help him a TON. I'm not sure how many innings he will get this year or if he will be limited to a certain amount, but he's got time to figure it all out. He should be fine. 

On 2/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, Capital_Dave said:

Yes but that million and a quarter counts this year

10 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think he absolutely still can. He's still very young and has many years ahead of him. Modern day medicine is very advanced and reports have said that he's been airing it out this offseason and training extremely hard. 

Him finally having a regular offseason as well and a normal Spring Training should help him a TON. I'm not sure how many innings he will get this year or if he will be limited to a certain amount, but he's got time to figure it all out. He should be fine. 

If you want to be encouraged just pop on the video of the second to last inning he pitched. 

It’s still in there. 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Late to the party, here, but this also allows the Angels to evaluate his performance over the next two years to see how he recovers from various injuries. It is a win-win, overall, and I am sure Minasian and company have told Shohei the very same thing to keep everyone on the same page and to set expectations that the team has for him to show some performance history and for him to earn the contract that the Angels will give him if he does perform.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wasn't he injured in that last inning? Was there any concern about it lingering?

The second to last inning. 

In the first inning of the home game against the Astros he pitched a 1-2-3 inning and was filthy. Seriously, go back on MLB TV and watch. 

I remember thinking during those 7-8 minutes “wow, everything is gonna be OK. He’s back.”

Then he got hurt during the next inning. 

33 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

In the first inning of the home game against the Astros he pitched a 1-2-3 inning and was filthy. Seriously, go back on MLB TV and watch. 

I remember thinking during those 7-8 minutes “wow, everything is gonna be OK. He’s back.”

47 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

His offensive numbers weren't good at all last year. Was it ever clarified if there was an injury, or did he just have a bad year?