• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Shohei Ohtani to 2 year, $8.5 million deal, avoiding arbitration

mmc

ohtani_agreement_600x600.jpg

ANAHEIM – The Angels today agreed to a two-year, $8.5 million contract with RHP/DH Shohei Ohtani. With the agreement, an arbitration hearing is avoided. Ohtani was the only unsigned arbitration-eligible player on the Angels 40-man roster.

Ohtani, 26, has appeared in 254 games as a hitter across three seasons with the Angels and has compiled 47 doubles, seven triples, 47 home runs, 147 RBI and 29 stolen bases. In 2018, he made 10 starts as a pitcher, going 4-2 with a 3.31 ERA (51.2 IP – 19 ER) and 66 strikeouts en route to winning the American League Rookie of the Year Award.

The Ōshū, Japan native originally signed with the Angels on Dec. 9, 2017 following five seasons with the Nippon-Ham Fighters in the Japanese Pacific League.

Great deal. Players typically share the same details about the arbitration process, that is eye opening and educational. I get the feeling that those are simply words used to describe how the teams impression of them and their values is. It can't help but create some hard feelings. 

I wonder what the percentages are, of players that go to arbitration and end up signing with another team in FA. I bet it would be higher. 

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

Hopefully, this will end up being a bargain.

Could be.  But as I said above, I think it's probably fair for both sides, as there's still a good amount of risk involved with him.  For the Angels, even if he's terrible and/or hurt for both of the next two seasons, this deal isn't going to make them or break them.  On his side, he potentially leaves a small amount on the table for 2022 if he does well this season--but he also protects his downside in case he's hurt/bad this season.  Seems like a good deal all around, given that.

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Great deal. Players typically share the same details about the arbitration process, that is eye opening and educational. I get the feeling that those are simply words used to describe how three teams impression of them and their values is. It can't help but create some hard feelings. 

I wonder what the percentages are, of players that go to arbitration and ends up signing with another team in FA. I bet it would be higher. 

50 - 50 either they do or they don't

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

So what's the total length of his contract now 2 years ?

The contract is two years, but he's got a third year of arbitration in 2023, so three years of club control.

My guess is that the Angels are thinking that either:

1) He actualizes his potential as a two-way star, so they buy out the third year with a big extension.

2) He struggles and/or becomes a hitter only, they pay the third year of arbitration and re-evaluate come 2023.

If he's only a hitter, then they'll need to assess whether they even need him. I'd think his best shot as a position player would be at 1B; the outfield is pretty crowded for the next decade.