• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Andrelton Simmons declines to address opt-out at end of Angels’ 2020 season

In his first interview since he opted out of the final week of what turned out to be his final season with the Angels, Andrelton Simmons declined to give further details on his decision.

“If I shared that decision, I feel that’s going to open up doors where people can pick apart (and give) their opinions on my decision that I felt was best for me and my family,” Simmons said via Zoom in his introductory press conference with the Minnesota Twins on Sunday.

Simmons made use of Major League Baseball’s COVID-19 protocols, which allowed any player to opt out of the season at any time.

A handful of notable players — Marcus Stroman, David Price, Buster Posey among them — opted out at the beginning of the season. Simmons played through almost the entire season.

On Sept. 22, with five games remaining in the regular season, the Angels announced that Simmons had opted out. Simmons released a statement saying that “I feel this is the best decision for me and my family.”

The decision effectively ended Simmons’ Angels career. The club later declined his $15 option, although it’s likely they would have declined the option regardless of Simmons’ opt-out.

Simmons ended up signing a one-year deal with the Twins for $10.5 million and the Angels traded for shortstop Jose Iglesias, who is making $3.5 million.

After Simmons’ deal with the Twins became official on Sunday, he thanked those who respected his decision to opt out.

“I’m glad for everybody that showed respect and appreciation,” he said, “and just wanted to make sure everything was OK, and respected my decision.”

View the full article

it seems pretty clear to me that he made a financial decision to protect his FA. there seems to be some undercurrent tones in those comments today that some angels staff and possibly players weren't too keen on that decision being that they were still playing for the last postseason spot at the time. remember the astros lost the required number of games for the angels to leapfrog them, the angels just didn't win enough games to do their part. my read on the matter is, unfortunately, his angels career didn't end amicably. que sera sera.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

it seems pretty clear to me that he made a financial decision to protect his FA. there seems to be some undercurrent tones in those comments today that some angels staff and possibly players weren't too keen on that decision being that they were still playing for the last postseason spot at the time. remember the astros lost the required number of games for the angels to leapfrog them, the angels just didn't win enough games to do their part. my read on the matter is, unfortunately, his angels career didn't end amicably. que sera sera.

Ya think...?

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

Lost respect for that guy, whatever.  Iglesias is just as good at SS as he is, and probably a little better with the bat.  

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Simmons. 

Neither of these statements is remotely true. The second isn't terribly far off. The first is hilarious. 

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

Lost respect for that guy, whatever.  Iglesias is just as good at SS as he is, and probably a little better with the bat.  

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Simmons. 

You’ve been smoking that good shit haven’t you?

3 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Close enough, considering Iglesias played the majority of his career at Comerica Park, a decidedly pitcher friendly venue. 

OPS+ accounts for park factors.

Also, Comerica is not even close to a "decidedly" pitcher friendly venue. Go look at the park factors in 2019.