• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Andrelton Simmons declines to address opt-out at end of Angels’ 2020 season

I don't know why Simmons opted out. Maybe Covid concerns. Maybe problems with management or other players. Maybe something else.

I don't give a crap. He was one of my favorites and I'm bummed he's gone. But I get it.

Iglesias looks like he may be comparable offensively and, while he isn't quite Simba's level with the glove, he's probably about as close as we're likely to get. And he costs about a third of the contract cost. So, that's cool.

But I'll still miss seeing his awesome defensive plays for the Angels.

Two reasons to dislike Simmons:

• He opted out at the end of a pointless season.
  • He is, bizarrely, a conspiracy theorist and COVID denier.

The second reason is far more compelling, but I'll give him a pass because he was an incredibly valuable Angel for several years.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

Would you all have hated Trout if he opted out?  Fletcher?

One could argue that Trouts wife just had a baby. I don't think anyone would have questioned it had he opted out. Simmons just flat out quit on the team, even scouts from other teams called that. 

On 1/31/2021 at 2:42 PM, AngelStew43 said:

Simmons:  .269 ba, .317 obp

Iglesias:  .278 ba, .319 obp.  

Those are the career marks, boys.  Time to step out of Momma's basement.

Simmons has a career wRC+ of 90 and Iglesias a career wRC+ of 87. Simmons is the best SS defender in baseball, Iglesias is good but not at Andrelton's level. Now certainly some of the former can be chalked up to lineup placement and opportunities. In the end, $3.5M vs. $10M is probably the right value-play, but I would take Simmons any day of the week over Iglesias in terms of total productivity, if you ignore money.

Batting average is a terrible indicator of production by the way.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:11 AM, ukyah said:

it seems pretty clear to me that he made a financial decision to protect his FA. there seems to be some undercurrent tones in those comments today that some angels staff and possibly players weren't too keen on that decision being that they were still playing for the last postseason spot at the time. remember the astros lost the required number of games for the angels to leapfrog them, the angels just didn't win enough games to do their part. my read on the matter is, unfortunately, his angels career didn't end amicably. que sera sera.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:50 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I decline to ever give a shit about Simmons again. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:39 PM, AngelStew43 said:

Lost respect for that guy, whatever.  Iglesias is just as good at SS as he is, and probably a little better with the bat.  

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Simmons. 

On 1/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, floplag said:

I believe this is one of those times when not saying something, speaks volumes. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:59 PM, failos said:

I don’t. He’s no different from Dipoto bailing on the team.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:04 PM, failos said:

Yes? A quitter is a quitter.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:11 PM, jsnpritchett said:

With 5 games left in the season?  I don't know if I'd say "hate," because I don't "hate" Simmons--but I would have thought it was silly, sure.  Either opt at the beginning or play it out.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:22 PM, Jay said:

I don't hate Simmons.

I just think he's a bitch for quitting on the team.

Nicely done folks.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, T.G. said:

Nobody here knows the circumstances surrounding his decision or his actions, but what the hell - that's not going to stop some from passing judgement and pretending to know what it all means. That's pathetic. 

Nothing in his past behavior would lead me to believe he's being a jerk or selfish or whatever other brush you want to paint him with. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's earned that, IMO.

Everyone and I mean everyone is going through something that none of us know about. Have some human decency. You have a choice... you can assume the worst or give the guy the benefit of the doubt.