• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maddon confirms Angels still looking at 1-2 more starting pitchers

HaloSpurs

Is @tdawg87 manstruating?

Anyhow, there's no denying that Eppler had a propensity for wasting a bit of dough on dud pitchers, with 2019 being particularly bad. 

2020: $9M on Teheran

2019: $28.5M on Cahill/Harvey/Allen

2018: Year of the Clean Peanut

2017: $18M Nolasco/Chavez

2016: $12M Nolasco

Maybe Quintana and Iglesias will fit a similar ilk, but a statistical deep-dive suggest otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Is @tdawg87 manstruating?

Anyhow, there's no denying that Eppler had a propensity for wasting a bit of dough on dud pitchers, with 2019 being particularly bad. 

2020: $9M on Teheran

2019: $28.5M on Cahill/Harvey/Allen

2018: Year of the Clean Peanut

2017: $18M Nolasco/Chavez

2016: $12M Nolasco

Maybe Quintana and Iglesias will fit a similar ilk, but a statistical deep-dive suggest otherwise.

I’m so glad Eppler is gone. I was never a huge fan of his, and boy did he waste some serious $$ on trash.

6 minutes ago, failos said:

I’m so glad Eppler is gone. I was never a huge fan of his, and boy did he waste some serious $$ on trash.

I was a fan, but it was astonishing how often his one-year vet acquisitions failed, and failed hard. Pretty much every other aspect of the job I felt he was good to very good with. Drafting, trading without ever really losing anything of impact, waiver claims and small, shrewd deals...

I will always wonder if he would’ve had an opportunity to make a franchise-altering trade had he wound up with a full season in ‘20 and the farm getting a full season to develop, or if he would’ve Stoneman’ed out and held everyone still. In my mind, carrying out a decision like that would have determined his future, but I think he saw the writing on the wall with the shortened season, poor start, and lack of trade value and knew what was best for the org was to hold the farm this summer. 

We are really right back where we started now with Minasian, but the huge difference is he actually has a farm system to work with. Eppler did not. Eppler’s work will pay huge dividends for Perry if he does a good job, and should deserve credit if it plays out that way.

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, failos said:

Comparatively speaking he wasted far less than Dipoto.  What Eppler did was “expensive”, what Dipoto did was damaging.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Comparatively speaking he wasted far less than Dipoto.  What Eppler did was “expensive”, what Dipoto did was damaging.  

No question about it. Like @totdprods said, the team didn’t really lose anything/anyone of consequence aside from money, and he was good at rebuilding the farm. But I will always remember him for re-signing Trout, so I don’t have any animosity towards him. Dipoto on the other hand, is dead to me.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I was a fan, but it was astonishing how often his one-year vet acquisitions failed, and failed hard. Pretty much every other aspect of the job I felt he was good to very good with. Drafting, trading without ever really losing anything of impact, waiver claims and small, shrewd deals...

The problem was those signings were always the leftovers.  They would shoot for the stars miss then be left to pick up whatever they could which almost always ended with him taking risks to try to get potential upside.

More than once I argued the Angels shouldn't wait, that they should sign their plan B guy early to avoid being left in the lurch.   It's my one real gripe about Eppler.

I think last year Eppler had several plan A candidates not named Cole (Wheeler, Strasburg, etc)but each chose other teams for various reasons. So Cole became the all in candidate that the Yankees completely over paid for late on the hot stove.

That left not much of anything but reclamation projects, having spent too much time on five targets and missing all. 

I don't think starting with a lowered expectation for your plan A is the right direction to take. You want that front line starter but on the other hand you have to decide a lot earlier if that is going to happen. Set deadlines and make sure to get the best possible player inside those deadlines even if they are a notch or two below. Don't let the agents force you into a bidding war because that's the last guy worth the money.

I think Minasian is going a little too slow right now and probably because the options are all plan C value. Which of those last pitchers not named Bauer are better than what you have on the roster. That could be the hold up.

Great interview! I came away from this knowing we’re in good hands. Sometimes there are too many “experts” on this board throwing doubt and criticism (including me) around on this board. Joe and PM are great baseball minds that know the game better than anyone on this board. In Joe and Perry I trust

3 hours ago, Hufflepuff said:

Great interview! I came away from this knowing we’re in good hands. Sometimes there are too many “experts” on this board throwing doubt and criticism (including me) around on this board. Joe and PM are great baseball minds that know the game better than anyone on this board. In Joe and Perry I trust

You have no choice but to trust Perry. Nothing being said about Paxson, Walkrt or Odorizzi, I wonder if they are waiting on Bauer.

3 hours ago, Hufflepuff said:

And Callaway

On 1/30/2021 at 8:27 AM, khouse said:

It is strange but it's even more odd that the Diamondback didn't feel he fit into "their long-range plans". But...kudos to Minasian for doing his homework. As these types of stories/situations are out there (like Carl Edwards Jr. who just signed with the Braves) that make terrific sense to sign to minor league deals.

I wonder if the BBs jump in 2020 scared off the D-Backs.

15 BBs in 23 innings = Nibsian

Otherwise, he had his normal stats.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The bottom line is that Eppler left the franchise in a better place than he found it. He inherited a depleted farm system and during his tenure, contributed in two long-lasting ways: signed Trout to an extension and built up the farm. Yes, he wasted some money along the way, but most of it was short-term. He also made the very savvy trade for Simmons. The only gift that keeps on giving (in a negative way) is Upton.

AO, lol at "nibsian."

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The bottom line is that Eppler left the franchise in a better place than he found it. He inherited a depleted farm system and during his tenure, contributed in two long-lasting ways: signed Trout to an extension and built up the farm. Yes, he wasted some money along the way, but most of it was short-term. He also made the very savvy trade for Simmons. The only gift that keeps on giving (in a negative way) is Upton.

AO, lol at "nibsian."

Exactly.

Thats what his defenders were saying all along i think. Its too simple to look at any gm and say "he won a ring!" or "didnt win anything" as the final say. Its more about what they had to work with, and what they did with that.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

AO, lol at "nibsian."

I don't think Eppler could have made the team worse so yeah, he put them in a better place just literally by drafting players and not trading them.

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I don't think Eppler could have made the team worse so yeah, he put them in a better place just literally by drafting players and not trading them.

Sure, he could have made it worse. He could have traded away prospects and signed another albatross or two. 

Here is something to consider.

Teams may need to have a core group of six starters for 2021.    Essentially, every pitcher may as well have been injured for a large part of 2020, and thus will need to be cautious with innings pitched.

MLB has never had something like this happen before.   The previous fewest games played in a season was almost twice as many (around 115 in 1994).

Because of Ohtani’s questionable pitching health, the Halos definitely need another starter and not a clean peanut candidate.

And it’s even worse for prospects, especially those who weren’t at the alternate sites.

Edited by Angel Oracle

9 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Am I the only one thinking that if we don't enter the season with a top-of-the-rotation pitcher acquired, Rich Hill can actually be a good acquisition if he is signed along with another starter? 

You’re not the only one but you are the most rational one to think this.