• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maddon confirms Angels still looking at 1-2 more starting pitchers

HaloSpurs

42 minutes ago, HaloSpurs said:

I was really fortunate to get Joe Maddon on my podcast yesterday to talk about Angels baseball and the growth of the game here in the UK.

But amongst what I found to be a really interesting conversation (although some of you may not) - he confirmed that the Angels are still looking to add 1-2 more starting pitchers and that he believes there a lot of good players still out there (which suggests the free agent market) and also confirms again the desire to go with the six man rotation.

He really hyped up Brandon Marsh as someone we should see this year and also loves Reid Detmers

Can listen below if interested but thought I’d pick out the key parts.

He also confirmed just how much he loves the angels, even when he was with other teams he always wanted us to do well, I think we are lucky to have him back here.

https://anchor.fm/laangelsuk/episodes/LAAngelsUK-Meets-Joe-Maddon-epkb21

Wow man. Great job on the podcast! Good questions and good production as well.

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Can’t  listen right now but thank you very much.  

42 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

A UK angels podcast? That's fuckin awesome, I had no idea this existed.

Not a problem - and thanks very much. We’ve been doing it semi regularly for a while but will be hoping to make it a weekly thing during this year! 

12 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I wonder if the Queen listens. I'm thinking 2 starters a Odorizzi and Archer. Halos always have injuries and if they go with 6 man rotation will have plenty of depth. Thanks halo spurs I will pass this on to Maria.

Yeah - unfortunately my co host took the question on additions and did it in a slightly different way to what I would have - so didn’t quite get to push on specifics but I think we must be in hard on Odorizzi, makes the most sense now 

Furthers my view that the Angels will not trade Marsh, almost no matter what. With Upton a perennial question and RF pretty open, as well as the fact that Adell likely needs at least half a year or more in AAA, Marsh is a very important probable call-up at some point this summer. There really isn't anyone else for LF/RF, unless everything gels for Adell instantly.

As far as two starters are concerned, I could see them signing an Odorizzi or Paxton or (less preferably) Walker, and then packaging Canning or Barria in a trade for Gray - or someone similar. I don't as much see two free agent SP signed, unless one of their current group is traded.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Furthers my view that the Angels will not trade Marsh, almost no matter what. With Upton a perennial question and RF pretty open, as well as the fact that Adell likely needs at least half a year or more in AAA, Marsh is a very important probable call-up at some point this summer. There really isn't anyone else for LF/RF, unless everything gels for Adell instantly.

As far as two starters are concerned, I could see them signing an Odorizzi or Paxton or (less preferably) Walker, and then packaging Canning or Barria in a trade for Gray - or someone similar. I don't as much see two free agent SP signed, unless one of their current group is traded.

I think that’s a very fair assessment - to me Maddons comments suggested Marsh was actually ahead in his thinking for the big league club this year than Adell. Said how unfair it was for him to be up last year and that he’s going to have a really good year in AAA.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

But did you ask him who's better among Maria Torres, Jeff Fletcher, Fabian Ardaya?

inquiring_minds_logo.png

Unfortunately ran out of time...was next on the list! 🤥

Maria follows me on twitter though, and Fabian interacts more and is hopefully coming on the show very soon ... so I have my own preferences 

On a side note, its particularly interesting and amusing for me listening to a couple of Brits that are Angels fans because I actually lived in the UK way back in 1985-87 as a kid, and figured that I was the only person among 50M+ that even knew who the Angels were (this was the pre-internet days). So it is kind of...jarring, in a pleasant way, to hear a couple blokes talking Angels baseball.

p.s. Listening to Maddon talks is always...relieving. He's a smart dude, with just a great, even demeanor.

Edited by Angelsjunky

8 minutes ago, HaloSpurs said:

Joe also mentioned Javy Guerra on the pod when listing acquisitions - which was news to me....

Yeah, I picked up on that too.  Nice depth move.  Nothing exciting, but Minasian is trying to improve our "floor," so to speak.

I do expect we will see at least 1 more SP for sure, and possibly 2 as Maddon mentioned.

I believe Maddon has alluded to a 6-man rotation too.  It'll be interesting to see if it's truly a 6-man rotation, where SP start once every 6 days, or more of a 5.5 man rotation, which is what we saw with Ohtani starting on set days.

Interesting bit about stolen bases. I miss the days of 70-base stealers, which just added a dynamic element to the game. Jacoby Ellsbury was the last to steal 70, back in 2009. Or just remember how dynamic Jose Reyes was for a few years, or Kenny Lofton back in the 90s. And really those guys were throwbacks to the 70s-80s era of balanced baseball.

But I don't know if I fully buy Maddon's explanation for why Trout doesn't steal many bases. I think he's protecting himself; or maybe the manager is protecting his health. While I'd love to see him hit 40-40 every year, even challenge for 50-50, he's just worth far more with his bat than on the base paths, and I think that injury a few years ago probably spooked him a bit.