• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maddon confirms Angels still looking at 1-2 more starting pitchers

HaloSpurs

11 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Because it looks like Quintana will be the best SP we acquire. I've said since we signed him that he's fine as an ancillary SP but this team clearly needs a top of the rotation pitcher and now for consecutive seasons many have been available. 

I you went into this offseason hoping for Quintana and Cobb I guess you are in the reality world and I was nuts for wanting Bauer and Musgrove. 

Try arguing what people have said, not what you want them to have said in order for you to save face.

I always saw Quintana as the second pitcher but you don't see me crying about it either way..  Maybe it's the fact that I never deluded myself into believing they would blow their wad be via FA or prospects -- I went into the offseason questioning what Arte was willing to do, that's where I was realistic.. 

Musgrave deal is something they could have done, but Pirates wanted what they wanted.  Takes two to trade.

16 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I like Hill, as you mentioned, as a 2nd option to someone who can supply some durability.

80-90 innings would be fine, if putting up the same solid ERA and WHIP.

You have to use up a roster spot for those innings. This makes this the worst starter acquisition idea, ever. I really can't understand how you guys keep going down this road thinking there is a payoff. 

You know what kind of starter that only produces 80-90 innings is? One with options to send to AAA when you don't need him taking up a roster spot. 

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Then why make a post mocking anyone ''content" with the acquisition?   You're talking out both sides of your mouth.

Every year its the same crap.  People create fanciful situations where the team adds multiple all star level players regardless of the realities it would require to make it happen then its a bunch of dismissive talk about others settling when it doesn't happen.

Your issue should be with Arte, not the fans resigning themselves to reality.

Well the team was confirmed offering Cole an extremely high offer and have openly said they are prioritizing SP this offseason so no I disagree that fans wanting/expecting a top of the rotation SP as being out of reality. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

You have to use up a roster spot for those innings. This makes this the worst starter acquisition idea, ever. I really can't understand how you guys keep going down this road thinking there is a payoff. 

You know what kind of starter that only produces 80-90 innings is? One with options to send to AAA when you don't need him taking up a roster spot. 

I’m more looking for a RHP long innings/spot starter complement for Pena.   And only as the 3rd option after Quintana and another durable enough starter.

Having only Bundy and Quintana as durable is of course not a good thing.  Barria is a maybe, hasn’t been injury prone and his stuff has improved since ditching Doug White as pitching coach.

55 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Well the team was confirmed offering Cole an extremely high offer and have openly said they are prioritizing SP this offseason so no I disagree that fans wanting/expecting a top of the rotation SP as being out of reality. 

Who exactly are you disagreeing with?   Again, try sticking to what's actually been said. 

Fans resigning themselves to the reality of the situation has nothing to do with what their expectations may have been.  People aren't at fault for the team's decision making.  You chiding people for altering their expectations to match what is realistically available currently is lame.  Your problem is with Arte.

Lastly..  Did you miss the part where they spent 260 mil of the 300 mil they offered to Cole last year?   Or do you think because they offered Cole 300 mil that they would turn around and go big like that on a pitcher again? Because I'm not following your logic other than "well they said they were prioritizing SPs and they tried spending a lot on one last year." 

Guess what, they have added two of them and the bulk of their spending/added payroll has gone towards SPs.   I wish it would have been better too.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Who exactly are you disagreeing with?   Again, try sticking to what's actually been said. 

Fans resigning themselves to the reality of the situation has nothing to do with what their expectations may have been.  People accepting what the situation is aren't at fault for the team's decision making.  You chiding people for altering their expectations to match what is realistically available currently is lame.  Your problem is with Arte.

Lastly..  Did you miss the part where they spent 260 mil of the 300 mil they offered to Cole last year?   Or do you think because they offered Cole 300 mil that they would turn around and go big like that on a pitcher again? Because I'm not following your logic other than "well they said they were prioritizing SPs and they tried spending a lot on one last year." 

Guess what, they have added two of them and the bulk of their spending/added payroll has gone towards SPs.   I wish it would have been better too.

Bulk of this board as we entered the offseason has followed this narrative

Finally we're getting an ace! Bauer, Snell, even Darvish or Musgrove. Lots of options! 

We got Quintana......he's OK......he's better than what we've had

Now Cobb.....he's better than Teheran. He was good in 2013.

For me this exemplifies fans attempting to alter their expectations to accept front office failure. 

Next wave of statements I expect is misplaced optimism of Ohtani becoming the ace we need.

For me FO has needed to acquire an ace and we've failed at that yet again. I'm not arguing with anyone. 

I shared the same sentiments last year and heard similar responses from many trying to convince me how good Teheran was going to be. 

34 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Bulk of this board as we entered the offseason has followed this narrative

Finally we're getting an ace! Bauer, Snell, even Darvish or Musgrove. Lots of options! 

We got Quintana......he's OK......he's better than what we've had

Now Cobb.....he's better than Teheran. He was good in 2013.

For me this exemplifies fans attempting to alter their expectations to accept front office failure. 

Next wave of statements I expect is misplaced optimism of Ohtani becoming the ace we need.

For me FO has needed to acquire an ace and we've failed at that yet again. I'm not arguing with anyone. 

I shared the same sentiments last year and heard similar responses from many trying to convince me how good Teheran was going to be. 

Cobb was good pre injury. He's been terrible since. Same for Teheran and his shoulder.

This is disappointing

1 hour ago, Lazorko Saves said:

So with Cobb added, does this mean Maddon's statement is now "Angels still looking at 0-1 more starting pitchers"?

In that thread, I figured the Angels had two moves remaining for SP...

1. a trade for one of the few top arms remaining (Gray, Marquez, Hendricks and/or instead  a catcher in Contreras)
  2. a ST invite/low-dollar offer to someone like Felix, Archer, Hamels, Foltynewicz, one of these guys with a history in ATL or with Maddon

Guessing that Cobb is that second guy, and really, I have a feeling he will wind up being more of a low-risk depth guy...more like the ST invite kind of deal you see, just happened to be for guaranteed money and a 'prospect'...Cobb isn't nearly as 'fun' as those guys, but still fits along the same expectations and connections as those names.

So, yes, I imagine they could call it a day here and it would be zero more SPs, but more than likely this is just adding some depth in the event they have to part with one or two of Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers in a deal for one of those first guys. 

Jones has more prospect shine than Rengifo, Barreto, or even Kean Wong, but functionally, these guys aren't very different in terms of where they'll have an impact on the MLB team in '21 and near-future.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

In that thread, I figured the Angels had two moves remaining for SP...

1. a trade for one of the few top arms remaining (Gray, Marquez, Hendricks and/or instead  a catcher in Contreras)
  2. a ST invite/low-dollar offer to someone like Felix, Archer, Hamels, Foltynewicz, one of these guys with a history in ATL or with Maddon

Guessing that Cobb is that second guy, and really, I have a feeling he will wind up being more of a low-risk depth guy...more like the ST invite kind of deal you see, just happened to be for guaranteed money and a 'prospect'...Cobb isn't nearly as 'fun' as those guys, but still fits along the same expectations and connections as those names.

So, yes, I imagine they could call it a day here and it would be zero more SPs, but more than likely this is just adding some depth in the event they have to part with one or two of Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers in a deal for one of those first guys. 

Jones has more prospect shine than Rengifo, Barreto, or even Kean Wong, but functionally, these guys aren't very different in terms of where they'll have an impact on the MLB team in '21 and near-future.

Yeah, I could totally see this being the case. We should have a better idea once we know the amount of cash that Baltimore is sending and when the deal is officially announced. If they're only paying a minimal amount of Cobb's contract, then it's more reasonable that there's another SP move coming.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, I could totally see this being the case. We should have a better idea once we know the amount of cash that Baltimore is sending and when the deal is officially announced. If they're only paying a minimal amount of Cobb's contract, then it's more reasonable that there's another SP move coming.

Yep, but it also takes two to get a trade done, so even if they’re hoping to make a move still for another arm, there’s a chance no one bites for what the Angels offer, making Cobb just a sort of lotto ticket depth move. Nothing special but better than nothing if a trade doesn’t materialize, and he may come relatively cheap with all the deferrals, allowing them to keep spending on RP/RF in FA while they pursue top trade arms.

Dealing Jones stings but he was functionally redundant here with Rengifo, Wong, and Barreto, and it just evens out the Raisel trade which was a bit of a steal, IMO.

I don’t think this is intended to be anything more than a cheap depth play. It doesn’t mean we’re done, but doesn’t mean we’re getting another arm either.

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

Next off-season is going to be great. 

The only advantage with this is we should know more about Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Chris Rodriguez and Detmers by next year.  As many have said, a year without minor leagues, was the worst by product of Covid as it relates to baseball.