• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

Will Crowe projects to be a #4-5 Starting Pitcher at best.

Eddie Yean is an interesting name because he isn't considered a top prospect, but he has the athleticism, velocity, and stuff to be a solid mid rotation starting pitcher in 3-4 years or so (he's still only 19). He could be even better if he figures out his control issues. 

Nationals have the worst farm in the league right now and didn't even have to give up any notable prospects for Bell, who was an all star before 2020. Great buy low trade for the Nats. 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

as an aside, it's really hard for a 1bman to accumulate WAR as they get dinged hugely on the defensive side.  

you've gotta hit like .330 with a .400+obp and 30 bombs to get to 5 WAR.  

you can be a capable defender at 1b with 30 hrs, 100 rbi and a .270 yet only accumulate 2 WAR.  

A lot of functional moto bats that you'd be happy with in your lineup who barely register in terms of WAR.  

Would it be fair to say that for 1B, you look primarily at something like wRC+ and maybe defense relative to other 1Bmen? 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

really?  they're farm is the worst in baseball and they didn't even give up one of their top two.  their system is actually reminiscent of ours when it was of the worst ever.  

Didn’t know the state of their farm. I just saw they gave up their 3rd ranked prospect and just assumed he was good. Still seems like an overpay though. Josh Bell is very mediocre. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

as an aside, it's really hard for a 1bman to accumulate WAR as they get dinged hugely on the defensive side.  

you've gotta hit like .330 with a .400+obp and 30 bombs to get to 5 WAR.  

you can be a capable defender at 1b with 30 hrs, 100 rbi and a .270 yet only accumulate 2 WAR.  

A lot of functional moto bats that you'd be happy with in your lineup who barely register in terms of WAR.  

Bell is a legitimately terrible defender, and can't run the bases either.  His only value comes from his bat.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Bell is a legitimately terrible defender, and can't run the bases either.  His only value comes from his bat.

He's not a great player but those are two things you can get away with at 1b more so than other positions.  

his arb has him around 7m which, to me, would be a tough call as to whether I'd rather have him or take the chance that Walsh is going to perform better based on 100 plate appearances.  

We've got other fish to fry but if we didn't, and we had the extra money, I think I'd go with the more established player.  

I also don't consider what WSN gave up to be much.  

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Obviously taken with a grain of salt from an unverified source

Yeah, I have no doubt the Pirates will trade him this offseason.  They have to massively rebuild that teams and are nowhere near contention, so it only makes sense to trade some players like Musgrove who won't be part of their future core.

I like Musgrove, but given that he has only two years of control remaining, I don't think I'd give up too much for him.  If the trade cost is high, I'd rather just aim for someone who has 3+ years of control, such as the other names we've previously discussed.

Angels mystery RF
11:55
If it’s not Adell, will it be Ward/Walsh or do they sign a veteran OF on a 1yr deal?

Mark P
11:56
Re-signing Brian Goodwin would seemingly make a lot of sense for the Halos, or at least a Goodwin type who can hold his own in a semi-regular role and also easily be moved into a traditional fourth outfielder spot

Trout
12:02
Will Artie go over lux tax to get us in playoffs?

Mark P
12:04
The Angels went over the luxury tax limit in Moreno's first full year owning the year, but that was it.  It seems like the team is treating it like a salary cap line, though you'd think if it meant the difference between acquiring a real game-changer of a player or not, ownership would be open to paying at least a couple of million in tax.  (Especially since Pujols' deal is finally off the books next year.)

AngelsGM
1:33
Does a package of Adell and a top 15 pitching prospect to the Reds in return for Castillo and taking on the remainder of OF Castellanos contract work? Who says no?

Mark P
I think the Reds might want a couple other second-tier prospects thrown in there, but you're on the right track

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:
Angels mystery RF
11:55
If it’s not Adell, will it be Ward/Walsh or do they sign a veteran OF on a 1yr deal?

Mark P
11:56
Re-signing Brian Goodwin would seemingly make a lot of sense for the Halos, or at least a Goodwin type who can hold his own in a semi-regular role and also easily be moved into a traditional fourth outfielder spot

Trout
12:02
Will Artie go over lux tax to get us in playoffs?

Mark P
12:04
The Angels went over the luxury tax limit in Moreno's first full year owning the year, but that was it.  It seems like the team is treating it like a salary cap line, though you'd think if it meant the difference between acquiring a real game-changer of a player or not, ownership would be open to paying at least a couple of million in tax.  (Especially since Pujols' deal is finally off the books next year.)

AngelsGM
Does a package of Adell and a top 15 pitching prospect to the Reds in return for Castillo and taking on the remainder of OF Castellanos contract work? Who says no?

Mark P
I think the Reds might want a couple other second-tier prospects thrown in there, but you're on the right track

Sounds... about right. But the "Top 15" pitching prospect could be Koch, I think. Even with taking on Castellanos. Castillo isn't going to be cheap no matter what.