• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

RE Bauer comments are saying its more like 27 AAV... now that, if true and we dont match or beat slightly, will anger me.
Sub 30, all over it, above not so much. 

Let’s say that’s true...what do you do with that extra 4-5m? Sign a project pitcher or 4th of? I’d rather have Bauer vs the alternative 

Whomever it is that we acquire (via FA or trade) for the last SP spot, i simply have one desire: that the guy is signed longer than one year.  Then the FO can work on trying to get an extension worked out for Bundy.  We're currently in an extremely worst situation next offseason SP wise with only Canning signed (Ohtani too but he's basically the 6th starter).  Four SP spots open next year (assuming Canning can stay healthy).  One spot likely taken by a rookie.  So at least 3-4 open spots.  

4 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Whomever it is that we acquire (via FA or trade) for the last SP spot, i simply have one desire: that the guy is signed longer than one year.  Then the FO can work on trying to get an extension worked out for Bundy.  We're currently in an extremely worst situation next offseason SP wise with only Canning signed (Ohtani too but he's basically the 6th starter).  Four SP spots open next year (assuming Canning can stay healthy).  One spot likely taken by a rookie.  So at least 3-4 open spots.  

A 2-year deal is fine, but historically, pitchers are typically rather poor investments on long-term deals.  A few have held up well (Scherzer comes to mind), but most do not.

FWIW, this year we should find out quite a bit more about our young SP - Ohtani, Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, CRod, Detmers, etc.  A lot can happen in a year.

That said, I would fully expect Minasian to re-sign one of our 3 FA SPs (Bundy, Heaney, Quintana) to a long-term deal, assuming we don't sign Bauer.  If we do sign Bauer, I am somewhat doubtful we will sign any of those 3 to long-term deals.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm pretty sure that the nature of a projection isn't best case scenario.  They handicap the propensity for injury etc.  

you are referencing a historically good pitching staff.  If that's your expectation, there's a really good chance it won't be realized any time soon.  

Frankly, no matter what we do, the Padres are going to likely have a way better staff.  

No it's not my expectation, but more just a reflection of recent teams in the World Series (Nationals, Astros, Rays, Dodgers, Cubs, Indians, Red Sox.). Jut thinking that World Series teams have incredible pitching staffs, not like the Angels' case.
I get what you're saying that they handicap it which makes more sense. 

34 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Let’s say that’s true...what do you do with that extra 4-5m? Sign a project pitcher or 4th of? I’d rather have Bauer vs the alternative 

Well i dont think its an extra 4 since we would likely have to go up to 28 or 29 as the Mets are right now in a better place perhaps will we finish the job, but, i still believe we need an opening day RF, Puig, Goodwin, maybe Pederson who can slide to LF next year as Upton sees more DH... 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well i dont think its an extra 4 since we would likely have to go up to 28 or 29 as the Mets are right now in a better place perhaps will we finish the job, but, i still believe we need an opening day RF, Puig, Goodwin, maybe Pederson who can slide to LF next year as Upton sees more DH... 

I’m just saying I’d pay a bit more for Bauer than take the drop off to the next tier pitcher since the drop off from let’s say adell and Brian Goodwin for a year isn’t as wide 

17 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I’m just saying I’d pay a bit more for Bauer than take the drop off to the next tier pitcher since the drop off from let’s say adell and Brian Goodwin for a year isn’t as wide 

True but then im still sitting here wondering why we cant have both.
Ownership literally just dropped how much again to buy the land and everything, but im supposed to believe we can afford a couple mil in payroll tax? 

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

again i cant vouch for the source, just some schmuck in the comments on the twitter post, may or may not be accurate. 

FFS can you be even more irrelevant? You took an article comment and posted it as a source? Don't do that again, just don't. 

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

We don't know that for sure regarding Arte; after all, he nixed the deal with the Dodgers.

But that was impatience not the signing of a starting pitcher for $10 million.  Or trading for an obvious need with a guy like Gray.

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

FFS can you be even more irrelevant? You took an article comment and posted it as a source? Don't do that again, just don't. 

Well shit thanks for the support... silly me i thought this was a discussion board.  But hey bonus point for being a dick i guess. 

You quote some fishwrap guy, who turns out to be dead wrong, but thats ok.. you mention anything else even though randos often turn out right and youre irrelevant... lol 

This place is funny at times. 

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

True but then im still sitting here wondering why we cant have both.
Ownership literally just dropped how much again to buy the land and everything, but im supposed to believe we can afford a couple mil in payroll tax? 

This is looking at Artes ventures through a community property lens when it should be looked at more like distinct LLCs.  Just because there have been owners that have overspent doesnt mean he should or deserve the doesnt want to win moniker (not that the last part is what you are saying).

52 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

This is looking at Artes ventures through a community property lens when it should be looked at more like distinct LLCs.  Just because there have been owners that have overspent doesnt mean he should or deserve the doesnt want to win moniker (not that the last part is what you are saying).

i never suggested he doesnt want to win, im sure he does, but he has painted himself into a place where the only way to do that, likely, is to take the hit on the tax.
If he does it right it balance itself out over the next couple years, but weve compounded it with all these 1 year deals. 
There is a huge difference between wanting to win, and doing what it takes to win in your given situation. 
If he isnt willing or able to do so, then it is what it is but i would find it hard to believe its unable., thats all im saying. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Well shit thanks for the support... silly me i thought this was a discussion board.  But hey bonus point for being a dick i guess. 

You quote some fishwrap guy, who turns out to be dead wrong, but thats ok.. you mention anything else even though randos often turn out right and youre irrelevant... lol 

This place is funny at times. 

Not even close. The fishwrap guy earned his credentials, your guy that found a way to remember his log in didn't. There was no credibility in your post. None, zero, zilch, nada, it was trolling. And yes, it seems anyone that calls you out on your horseshit is being a dick so I'll take that as a compliment from the source. 

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Not even close. The fishwrap guy earned his credentials, your guy that found a way to remember his log in didn't. There was no credibility in your post. None, zero, zilch, nada, it was trolling. And yes, it seems anyone that calls you out on your horseshit is being a dick so I'll take that as a compliment from the source. 

There wasnt meant to be.. as said it was rumor.. you know contributing to the conversation... on a message board... oh my god the horrors!
Since when is everything here fact checked?  lol
Keep racking those bonus points though, lol