• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you ok with what Andrelton Simmons did?

kevinb

Are you ok with what Andrelton Simmons did?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ok with what Andrelton Simmons did?

8 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

How the hell is this poll close?

Not hard to see why. One side sees it as quitting on his team, the other says his concerns for health or family supersede this. Both sides have a point. Its what you value more. I'll go with wait until more facts come out because we dont know the real reason.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Apparently Simmons' wife is a kidney transplant recipient...  Doing this to avoid the quarantine.

If this is true he should have opted out of the whole season for her health if that is the reason he is using.  There was probably much more risk early season before anyone knew how it was going to work.  He didn’t. I’m hoping the angels miraculously make the playoffs and a World Series run while he is sitting at home.  Or, have him try to opt back in if they make the playoffs.  2-0 since he quit.......

( yes I know the winning really has nothing to do with quitting)

20 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

Do what? Spend a few days in a hotel near home? How is it any different than spending time in a hotel on the road? I’m confused. How does her medical history affect his decision?

Are the families being quarantined with the players?  Is it possible that maybe his wife believes she would be better off in her own home where she can control everything she comes into contact with?  Does she even need to be there?  I have no idea..  I have no clue what Simmons or his wife is thinking, more importantly I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about how anyone else should live their lives, so can't say I really care.

3 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Where did you get the kidney transplant reason for opting out? Did it come from Simba? 

You can’t really “not care” now after you posited this “excuse”.

The families have the option whether or not to quarantine. Simba’s family didn’t need to change anything. 

One of several similar articles

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29947419/angels-andrelton-simmons-opts-los-angeles-season-draws-close

Neither side specified a reason in written statements Tuesday, but sources told ESPN that a major motivation stemmed from concerns about COVID-19 and how it might impact more vulnerable members of his family, particularly with American League teams that are still not mathematically eliminated required to quarantine for potential postseason games beginning Tuesday.

His wife having been a kidney recipient is a pretty well known thing apparently.  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

No idea.  May just be she's considered at risk and he's not willing to do it

Which then why did he play the season if this was the case and only now when there's 5 games left he decided to leave? I guess it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it was all this quarantine thing if these teams made the postseason and he didn't want to put his family through it. 

48 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Looks like you assume wrong.

I am ok with admitting my assumptions were wrong. It happens 

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Which then why did he play the season if this was the case and only now when there's 5 games left he decided to leave? I guess it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it was all this quarantine thing if these teams made the postseason and he didn't want to put his family through it. 

I can't answer for why he did or didn't do anything, not really going to offer any opinion other than the questions I have already put out there.. 

But allow me to appeal to your logical side.  Do you think that as a pending FA, and knowing full well how this could be viewed by both the Angels, and prospective future employers he would just say fuck it and quit for the sake of quitting?  Do you think he's stupid?  Or do you think his opting out is just a charade and he's trying to avoid injury/protect his FA?  

I lived through Troy Glaus sitting himself out to protect his FA.  That one pissed me off, this one is just very meh to me.

1) Opting out for COVID concerns is fully endorsed by MLB & the players union.  There doesn't need to be a threshold of explanation to satisfy fans.  2)  We haven't and will probably never know the intimate details of the how's and why's that are hidden within the family dynamic.  3)  The timing is truly irrelevant, unless you disregard 1 & 2.   Every person on this board has changed their minds/position due to living out what they thought they could struggle through.  4) Insinuating that it is a free agency spurred decision speaks more to a person who is justifying their disdain for a league sanctioned personal decision because it goes against their own hopes and allegiance.

1 hour ago, Game 6 said:

Do what? Spend a few days in a hotel near home? How is it any different than spending time in a hotel on the road? I’m confused. How does her medical history affect his decision?

let me chime in with an answer.

i don't know, but if he says that's his reason, then let's just believe him rather than assume he's a POS (generally speaking).

Just now, Game 6 said:

Thing is, he didn't say his wife's kidney transplant was a reason. That reason appears in only one place - this thread. Remember, if he were in the pre-playoff quarantine with his teammates his family would be more safe, not less safe.

i'm not keeping track of everything because i don't really care why he opted out, but how did it come up that his wife has a kidney transplant?