• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell on Trevor Bauer's Podcast with Kenny Lofton and Hunter Greene

rafibomb

I know @Inside Pitch is going to disagree with me and I hope I'm 100% wrong but dear God, Adell looks like garbage. 

In 32 games this guy is hitting .157 with 51 strikeouts and just 6 extra base hits. 

Adell may need another 2-3 years in the minors to figure out how to destroy pitches in the zone and lay off breaking balls well out of the strike zone. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know @Inside Pitch is going to disagree with me and I hope I'm 100% wrong but dear God, Adell looks like garbage. 

In 32 games this guy is hitting .157 with 51 strikeouts and just 6 extra base hits. 

Adell may need another 2-3 years in the minors to figure out how to destroy pitches in the zone and lay off breaking balls well out of the strike zone. 

If his valued hasn't tanked a ton (which it might have), I'd be looking to move him. 

The Angels need to win and can't wait for him to develop. If they can get MLB help for him, you have to explore it. But you also can't sell low.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If his valued hasn't tanked a ton (which it might have), I'd be looking to move him. 

The Angels need to win and can't wait for him to develop. If they can get MLB help for him, you have to explore it. But you also can't sell low.

His value hasn’t dropped.  And you don’t simply trade him for major league help.  You trade him for impact or you don’t trade him. 

On 9/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Nah, he's looked like garbage.  I was the guy saying he had not proven he had mastered AAA and wasn't ready, remember.  I'm just not ready to punt on a guy that likely wouldn't have been called up if there had been a AAA season.  

I mean, he's doing what I would have expected if not predicted when I pointed to his k rate in AAA.  For most of his minor league career he's been able to ride his physical skills to succeed.  At the MLB level, they are all both physically talented and skilled.

I'd also like to remind you and @Stradlingcan attest to, I've said Marsh is further along and because of his glove and pitch recognition the more likely of the two to succeed right now

Marsh never made it out of AA so it's not as though he was going to shine from three weeks on the practice field to matching up with MLB pitchers with a vested interest in sitting his ass back down on the pine. 

Marsh did look better in the AFL but against minor not major league pitching. His fielding is a step above Adell's and has a more accurate arm and positions himself well for throws. 

I think his defense could play but his bat will still miss a lot of baseballs at the MLB level right now. Both these guys needed their minor league season this year. It really does put them still one season out before they are ready for Anaheim.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Marsh never made it out of AA so it's not as though he was going to shine from three weeks on the practice field to matching up with MLB pitchers with a vested interest in sitting his ass back down on the pine. 

Marsh did look better in the AFL but against minor not major league pitching. His fielding is a step above Adell's and has a more accurate arm and positions himself well for throws. 

I think his defense could play but his bat will still miss a lot of baseballs at the MLB level right now. Both these guys needed their minor league season this year. It really does put them still one season out before they are ready for Anaheim.

Bingo.

The one thing Marsh did demonstrably better at in AA than Adell was with his pull rate on FBs.  Pulling the ball isn't so much the point of the statistic so much as it attempts to measure two (actually four), things.... a player's physical ability (strength), and his ability to spot, catch up to, and make contact with a FB.  It's typically one of the biggest predictors of future success for a hitter.  Its not even a complicated stat, it's just an attempt to measure the time tested "see a FB, hurt a FB".  Marsh's rates were well above the league average, Adell just slightly below.

Adells tools are off the charts, much more so than Marsh but Marsh was doing those little things that allow players to stick, better. Still, @Blargis 100% right, being further along doesn't mean he's ready.  It just means the struggles might not be as bad.

As I've said previously, my biggest concern with Adell was the possibility he might develop bad habits.  After seeing him dismiss the tools they are giving him to try to succeed I'm a tad put off.  Dismiss things once you've proven you can do it.  

DfJB8ANU0AEouDt.jpg

Marsh (22) Jones (21) Adell (21) all lost a complete minor league season to prepare for a call up in 2020 and now are a year delayed from being ready for 2021. It's not as though the three were 24+ years old and looking at being rule 5 candidates, there is plenty of club controlled development time.

But the timetable to put a complete outfield out there in 2021 has been compromised by Covid-19. It's not the players fault they are not ready now and won't be ready to start next season. They just haven't had the actual games played to hone their skills at the higher level of the minors. 

So expect either Ward or Walsh playing the outfield in place of Goodwin that was under club control but proved more valuable as a trading chip. But be ready to accept that this years performance by Walsh may not translate into 130+ productive games next season. Or that Ward has found a sound swing that will hold up after the data catches up. 

Next season the Angels have to get their pitching in order and simply limp along with the outfield being a work in progress. No more money spent on rental outfielders, it's internal solutions and live or die with that.

But Marsh and Adell are on the way. Just a little delayed by forces out of the ballclubs control.

7 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Adell needs a slice of humble pie. A bit disappointing because I thought this dude was supposed to have this great makeup, but he seems to be a little full of himself.

Send his ass to LB.

he's gotten plenty of humble pie this year.  Probably not the entire reason, but maybe they brought him up to prove to Jo that he's not ready when he thought he was.  I think that's unlikely because it would be dumb to waste a year of control just to prove a point.  It also risks devaluing him.  

Personally, I do think his value took a hit with such a dreadful performance.  

Also, I am all for players using whatever resources they have available but there is so much out there these day it can lead to paralysis by analysis.  It's kinda like taking some golf lessons and you're out there playing a round thinking about every little thing you learned.  Whereas sometimes it's easier to make things less complicated.  

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

His value hasn’t dropped.  And you don’t simply trade him for major league help.  You trade him for impact or you don’t trade him. 

Sounds like it has,  a bit- https://blogs.fangraphs.com/keeping-up-with-the-al-wests-prospects/

Not that a FV in the"60's" is anything to sneeze at - but there's a big difference between "top 10" and a "top 20" prospect - there's an uncertainty about him that wasn't there before - and FG's "bust rate" looms increasingly large as a position player drops below 60.  

His trade value has taken a hit.  Which is ok - he's really young, and I don't see him being traded now.  

But it's pretty unlikely anyone will trade an established impact player for him.  

On 9/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, calscuf said:

Maybe if Adell paid attention to his coaches and not to social justice issues, he’d be improving.

yeah, we saw him wear a t shirt and he has social media, unlike everybody else across the globe. get real. his personality, his clothes, his opinions, and his beard have nothing to do with it. he's being rushed up because of covid and he's not ready.

8 minutes ago, ukyah said:

yeah, we saw him wear a t shirt and he has social media, unlike everybody else across the globe. get real. his personality, his clothes, his opinions, and his beard have nothing to do with it. he's being rushed up because of covid and he's not ready.

jonah hill no GIF