• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Justin Upton has heated up after a dreadful start, and brought the Angels with him

AngelsWin.com

Justin Upton stepped to the plate on Aug. 24 mired in an unimaginable slump, one that had seen him collect one measly infield hit in his last 39 at-bats, with nearly half of those at-bats ending in strikeouts.

It was so bad that Upton, in the middle of a $106-million contract, had been benched for the previous four games.

Then Upton got a hanging slider from Houston Astros lefty Framber Valdez, and he hit it over the right-center field fence.

It was the start of Upton getting himself right by … going to right.

“That’s always a good sign when you use the whole field,” Upton said the next day. “That was a good sign.”

Starting with that homer, Upton has been more than good. Upton has hit .382 with a .462 on-base percentage and a .735 slugging percentage in the last 34 at-bats. He has just four strikeouts in that span.

During the Angels’ four-game sweep of the Astros over the weekend, Upton drove in five runs, including a game-tying two-run homer in the first game on Saturday and a key two-run single to extend an eighth-inning lead on Sunday.

“I’m getting back to basics in the cage and working as hard as I can and starting to see some results,” said Upton, who has also regained an everyday role since Brian Goodwin was traded.

To Manager Joe Maddon, there has been a clear difference in Upton over the past couple weeks.

Maddon said Upton has been “quieter” in his setup, which allows him to get the bat head to the ball more often. That’s cut down on the strikeouts.

Whether Upton has been focused on hitting the ball up the middle and the other way, or whether it’s just the result of a more compact swing, it’s made a difference in the results.

“I like the idea that he’s centered,” Maddon said. “You stay in the middle of the field. That’s where he’s doing his damage. Early on it was obvious that he was pulling off the ball. When do that you get long with your swing and you get more body than hands.”

Before that four-day layoff, Upton was hitting the ball to the right side just 12.8 percent of the time, compared with a career-long 26.1 percent coming into the season. During his current streak, he’s the ball to right field 23.1 percent of the time.

Although Upton still has a few weeks to go if he’s going to maintain this hot streak long enough to erase the previous ice-cold streak, what he’s done so far — hot and cold — has been enough to sell Maddon on Upton’s makeup.

Just over a month ago, when the Angels promoted Jo Adell and Maddon told Upton that he was going to get the short end of a platoon with Goodwin, Upton handled it professionally and did not sulk.

“The worst thing I could possibly do is to come in here and hinder the growth of the team, hinder the atmosphere,” Upton said. “So that’s not something that I’m about. It’s not what I do.”

Instead, Upton simply retreated to the cage with hitting coaches Jeremy Reed, John Mallee and Paul Sorrento and tried to fix what was going wrong.

“If you could put on GoPro camera and just watch what he does when he gets here, he’s really committed to getting his swing back,” Maddon said. “The guy’s got a lot of pride and class. You’re not going to find a nicer young man.”

Upton’s slump and his turnaround have paralleled the team’s. The Angels still lost the game that Upton homered against Valdez, falling to 9-21, but they are 8-4 since then, including a current five-game winning streak.

In a normal season, of course, there would be enough time for the team and Upton to turn their current streaks into something that would bury the memory of the dreadful start.

This year? Probably not.

With 18 games to go, the Angels are still 17-25, and Upton is still hitting .192.

“Now that it’s May, you’re starting to see him,” Maddon said, referring to where a normal season would be at this point. “I’d love to see him play in June.”

View the full article

If they could somehow have Ohtani learn to play 1B and focus on playing every day, then Upton could move to DH for good once Marsh is ready to play every day up here.
Then move Adell to LF.

Then that would be a good defensive and offensive lineup, provided they re-signed Simba and brought back Castro.

Fletcher 2B

Trout CF

Rendon 3B

Ohtani 1B

Upton DH

Adell LF

Marsh RF

Stassi/Castro C

Simba SS

I'm glad to see his hitting come around.  I think hes still a liability on the field.  He doesn't seem comfortable playing left field.

I think its a great idea to play him as DH.  He has exceeded Pujols in production, but that in itself is not saying much. 

Pujols has great historical numbers and its fun to watch him reach new milestones but Its painfully obvious that his day to day productivity days are over.  I believe (out of respect for him) Pujols should be afforded the opportunity to finish out his career in St Louis.

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

He's always been streaky as hell. It's his thing.

His overall numbers are a reason for concern but his BABIP is .219 which means he's been absurdly unlucky this year. 

He's in decline for sure, but he's not this bad.

Yup.... His Babip was under .110 before this streak.   

He was also getting under everything and hitting a lot of pop ups.  Once he got that squared away he's been his usual self.    His hard hit% is now sitting at 43.1% well above his career figure of 36.4% and right in line with his statcast career figure of 42.8%

Pretty much everything that was happening was right there in the batted ball data, didn't stop people from saying he was done.   

As always...  haters gonna hate.

Him getting hot and crushing it is awesome. Some team may be desperate for outfield/DH offense in the off season and want to trade for him. Which would help the Angels out immensely. Getting Marsh and Adell up with Trout would be incredible to help with payroll flexibility. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Him getting hot and crushing it is awesome. Some team may be desperate for outfield/DH offense in the off season and want to trade for him. Which would help the Angels out immensely. Getting Marsh and Adell up with Trout would be incredible to help with payroll flexibility. 

He’s not getting traded.  It just isn’t happening.  He has a no trade clause.  He said when he signed here the reason he wanted a no trade clause is he wants to be in the same place for awhile based on his experience in the league where he jumped around a lot because he was traded a couple of times.  He’s staying.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

He’s not getting traded.  It just isn’t happening.  He has a no trade clause.  He said when he signed here the reason he wanted a no trade clause is he wants to be in the same place for awhile based on his experience in the league where he jumped around a lot because he was traded a couple of times.  He’s staying.

No trade clauses get waived all the time. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

We'd probably have to absorb all but like 2 million of his contract to have someone trade for him.  It just isn't happening.  He is a sunk cost in terms of trade value.  All we can hope for is he has a few hot streaks in him, enough to make his very cold stretches at least slightly tolerable.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We'd probably have to absorb all but like 2 million of his contract to have someone trade for him.  It just isn't happening.  He is a sunk cost in terms of trade value.  All we can hope for is he has a few hot streaks in him, enough to make his very cold stretches at least slightly tolerable.

If he returns to 2018 form next year and has a 3-4 win season he could be traded if he wanted to be traded and he’d have value even if it cost the acquiring team $15 million.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If they could somehow have Ohtani learn to play 1B and focus on playing every day, then Upton could move to DH for good once Marsh is ready to play every day up here.
Then move Adell to LF.

Then that would be a good defensive and offensive lineup, provided they re-signed Simba and brought back Castro.

Fletcher 2B

Trout CF

Rendon 3B

Ohtani 1B

Upton DH

Adell LF

Marsh RF

Stassi/Castro C

Simba SS

Nice optimization - that's pretty much the best lineup the Angels could theoretically field next year. Realistically Ohtani will DH and Upton will be in LF, with Adell in RF and Marsh either traded or 4OF/1B.

4 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Yeah, he went from AZ to ATL to SD to DET to LAA in six years while he was getting married and having a Daughter. Built and sold a few homes along the way.

I read an article about how the no trade clause was important to him for these reasons.

These guys have lives @Kevinb. He's not going anywhere and I think he can be productive in '21 and '22.

I know these guys have lives. I don’t know what that has to do with anything. Athletes are assets plain and simple. He’s doing well right now. But I’d like to see his final numbers this year and where it plays out. Last year he wasn’t good. In my opinion and statistically speaking people don’t tend to get better the older they get. As of right now his line is 192 270 and 374. I hope he does better and crushes it the rest of his time here. Do I think that’s likely? Nope. But it could happen. 

6 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Really? I mean, seriously? Really?

After the time and space of finally knowing why Upton has a no trade clause in his contract this is your response? 

Upton was traded and traded. 5 teams in 6 years. He had no control. Remember your tirades about the MiLB players and their lack of control? Well, this is it personified in the majors. So after 11 years in baseball Justin Upton finally had the control to get a no trade clause. And he did it. You say on the MiLB thread you want 18 year old HS kids to have this power but now you think Upton, and every other person who has ever played professional baseball in the history of baseball being played is just an "asset plain and simple".

You are a fucking hypocrite if you believe this. And maybe not very bright. Obtuse even. Obtuse because on one thread you want something for an 18 year old HS player and on another thread you don't want the very same thing for an 11 year veteran.

You are either seriously confused or a serious Dick! Probably both. 

Minor leaguers don’t have any control and their contracts are not negotiable. Where as Upton has negotiated his contract he’s also negotiated a no trade clause. To his benefit if he then doesn’t want to be traded then so be it. But no trade clauses aren’t all that uncommon and aren’t all that uncommon to be waived when said player is traded. It happens all the time. 

Players are just assets. The name calling seems a little weird. But hey if that’s where you need to go that’s fine it’s cute coming from the guy who is ok with minor leaguers getting paid below minimum wage because hey they’ll have a good story 😂.  Major leaguers once out of the ridiculous arbitration process are then free agents and can negotiate the terms of their contracts. I don’t know how you don’t see a difference between that and a minor leaguer who has zero control of their contracts and zero control of where they play. Which is why I argued that they be able to negotiate their contracts. Two entirely different things. If the minor leaguer or major leaguer are able to negotiate set terms to their liking then it is what it is after. Being for lack of a better term “forced” to sign as a minor leaguer with no negotiating power and no free market to an “under minimum wage” compared to a major leaguer who is finally a free agent. signing a contract that’s completely negotiable and agreed to in terms by them and said team. Upton even stipulated in the contract that he wanted a no trade clause and good on him. The Angels can’t trade him unless he waives it. I’m completely fine with that too. Maybe the Angels trade him. Maybe they don’t. But I think for the Angels long term it would be best if they could and he’d agree because it would help clear salary space for better players and would open the door to Marsh and he is the future not Upton. 

16 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Having this Upton would make a huge difference for the Angels.  I suspect the Angels are considering an impending DH role for Upton after 2021 since Ohtani is working on his defense.

10 hours ago, Kevinb said:

As of right now his line is 192 270 and 374. I hope he does better and crushes it the rest of his time here. Do I think that’s likely? Nope. But it could happen

Just like using Pujol's career numbers to hide his current poor performance, you are using Upton's season's number to hide his current excellent performance.

He is hitting the ball like before.....the Angels need that. Unless he brings back a solid pitcher, Upton in the lineup hitting like he is is the best option.  I think if Marsh is ready and shows that he can play, Pujols will be the odd man out if Ohtani or Upton can learn to play 1B.

19 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Just like using Pujol's career numbers to hide his current poor performance, you are using Upton's season's number to hide his current excellent performance.

He is hitting the ball like before.....the Angels need that. Unless he brings back a solid pitcher, Upton in the lineup hitting like he is is the best option.  I think if Marsh is ready and shows that he can play, Pujols will be the odd man out if Ohtani or Upton can learn to play 1B.

Yep just look at Upton’s bat speed. He’s been improving

What has not been discussed, but just as important in Upton's improvement, is how he has handled it.  By all accounts, he did everything you would hope for by a veteran leader.  I can't help but want him to be successful mostly because he never complained, he accepted a reduced role based on his performance, he sought out help, he listened to the coaches and quietly worked to improve his swing.

Yes, his defense is not reliable but his character most certainly is reliable.  Hope he continues to crush the ball.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I’m not trying to hide anything. Right now he’s crushing it. He’s doing things he hasn’t done in Anaheim for at least a year or so. Do I hope it continues yes absolutely. Do I think it does no absolutely not. A good Upton helps the Angels in many ways though so I’m stoked on it.