• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

According to MiLBAdvocates, Angels are not paying their Minor Leaguers despite saying they'd be paid $400/week stipends through August

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

Minor leaguers are paid a slavery wage. Would it seriously kill Arte to pay these people until there’s a vaccine? 

He’s becoming a cruel old owner who pinches pennies and then goes home to his 3 billion dollars and maxes out to Trump and McConnell. 

Slaves didn't get paid. 

I didn’t read this whole thread, but here’s what I got...

The Angels somehow determined what each player would have made during the season and when the $400 checks totaled that amount they stopped paying. 

For everyone else, the $400 checks continue through Sept 7.

So the guys at the very bottom got all their money before the end of the August and the guys at the top will never get all their money. 

For the year, everyone gets about $8400 or whatever their salary was going to be, whichever is less. 

The issue is that players get more as they move up levels, and the Angels didn’t really account for that. It also seems like, according to MLB Advocates, they didn’t do a good job of telling the players what they were gonna do, so some guys were expecting checks that never came. 

So the bottom line is some guys got screwed, but it was probably a pretty small percentage. Only the guys who were already going to make less than $8400 a year AND would have been promoted. 

Of course in the larger sense, they all got screwed because they aren’t paid enough in the first place. 

“Of course in the larger sense, they all got screwed because they aren’t paid enough in the first place.”

“Screwed”?  That’s a bit extreme.  The vast majority of minor leaguers are basically trying out to be big leaguers and getting some compensation for doing it.  The money is probably about right for that.

If somebody is in the minors as a job only, then they are pretty stupid. 

There was nothing preventing these guys from getting a job outside of MILB to supplement their income, in a way double dipping by having a job and being paid for a job they were not doing. I really have little respect for their position, it reeks of being spoiled kids that haven't grown up and taken responsibility for themselves. 

6 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

“Of course in the larger sense, they all got screwed because they aren’t paid enough in the first place.”

“Screwed”?  That’s a bit extreme.  The vast majority of minor leaguers are basically trying out to be big leaguers and getting some compensation for doing it.  The money is probably about right for that.

Why pay them at all then?

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

There was nothing preventing these guys from getting a job outside of MILB to supplement their income, in a way double dipping by having a job and being paid for a job they were not doing. I really have little respect for their position, it reeks of being spoiled kids that haven't grown up and taken responsibility for themselves. 

There was nothing preventing them from getting another job?

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Except you can’t really “try out to be in the majors” on the weekends while you do another job. It is your career. It is what you have to devote 100 percent of your time to. 

Also, these guys have already risen pretty high in their field, so they should be compensated better. It’s not like the minors are filled just random dudes who decided “hey I want to try playing baseball.”

Professional baseball players are in the top x percent of all people in the world who have played baseball. If you climb that high in a job, you ought to be able to at least support yourself. 

You know anywhere in the country you can live and eat for $8000 a year, or less?

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

I think there are 2 different discussions here. 

1. Did these guys get screwed out of the money they would have been paid normally? That’s debatable. They still got some money and it was probably not too far from what they would have gotten if they’d played, and they didn’t play. 

2. Should minor leaguers, under normal circumstances and when they are playing, be paid more. That’s not debatable to me. They aren’t even paid minimum wage, given the requirements of their job. 

Jeff, baseball players in the past has second jobs to tide themselves over since their job didn't pay much. These guys could get a second job while waiting for their guaranteed monthly stipend while they sit out a, season. They can do their workouts in between asking if you want yo make that a combo. It is disengenuos to state this is their only possible revenue stream. 

29 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Except you can’t really “try out to be in the majors” on the weekends while you do another job. It is your career. It is what you have to devote 100 percent of your time to. 

Also, these guys have already risen pretty high in their field, so they should be compensated better. It’s not like the minors are filled just random dudes who decided “hey I want to try playing baseball.”

Professional baseball players are in the top x percent of all people in the world who have played baseball. If you climb that high in a job, you ought to be able to at least support yourself. 

You know anywhere in the country you can live and eat for $8000 a year, or less?

Disagree.  They know the deal.  They absolutely are making the decision to spend the time and energy to try to “get a job in the majors.”  They barely produce any revenue and are essentially expenses to a larger business.

What minor leaguers are homeless and starving Jeff?  None of them.

And none of them are trying to live and eat on $8k.  They do other things for other income just like massive numbers of other young people who face the same challenges while going either going to school or interning for free (or close to free) to get THEIR dream job.

5 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

It's entertaining to see grown men hounding prospects for being shitty and then turning around and saying they should work a 2nd and 3rd job.

1. I, personally, don't hound minor leaguers because I just don't care enough about them.

2. Since they haven't worked all year, wouldn't it be a first job? 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Disagree.  They know the deal.  They absolutely are making the decision to spend the time and energy to try to “get a job in the majors.”  They barely produce any revenue and are essentially expenses to a larger business.

What minor leaguers are homeless and starving Jeff?  None of them.

And none of them are trying to live and eat on $8k.  They do other things for other income just like massive numbers of other young people who face the same challenges while going either going to school or interning for free (or close to free) to get THEIR dream job.

No. They are living with their parents. 

It’s a simple question of minimum wage. They should be paid at least as much (per hour) as you get paid to work at McDonald’s, and a lot of them don’t. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No. They are living with their parents. 

It’s a simple question of minimum wage. They should be paid at least as much (per hour) as you get paid to work at McDonald’s, and a lot of them don’t. 

Aren't they getting a substantial raise next year?

This year they are getting paid not to work. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think there are 2 different discussions here. 

1. Did these guys get screwed out of the money they would have been paid normally? That’s debatable. They still got some money and it was probably not too far from what they would have gotten if they’d played, and they didn’t play. 

2. Should minor leaguers, under normal circumstances and when they are playing, be paid more. That’s not debatable to me. They aren’t even paid minimum wage, given the requirements of their job. 

Here’s a hypothetical question which I don’t have an answer for. I’d say MLB decided to just go with say 1 2 or 3 minor leagues. Like an A AA AAA. Instead of the 47 (I know hyperbole) that they have now do you think MLB would be more prone to pay these minor leaguers a better wage and have a better facilities etc? Or is it just that MLB doesn’t much care about the minors in general so they get paid scraps?