• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

According to MiLBAdvocates, Angels are not paying their Minor Leaguers despite saying they'd be paid $400/week stipends through August

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

At the age we are talking about here many young people are in low paying or even no paying jobs. They are getting experience in the hopes they can move forward and into a career - internships, PA's, teacher's aids, entry level sales rep's, etc.

These Milb players are doing the same thing. And guess what, when they don't make it they have a great story about perseverance and their personal path that they will take into any interview they are ever in. Forever. They are not indentured servants or even hourly employees. They are kids following a dream.

Cool, pay them minimum wage then.  

5 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

At the age we are talking about here many young people are in low paying or even no paying jobs. They are getting experience in the hopes they can move forward and into a career - internships, PA's, teacher's aids, entry level sales rep's, etc.

These Milb players are doing the same thing. And guess what, when they don't make it they have a great story about perseverance and their personal path that they will take into any interview they are ever in. Forever. They are not indentured servants or even hourly employees. They are kids following a dream.

No one cares about a great story. That's worth nothing. I don't know when you stop calling people kids but they are definitely not kids the majority of the minor leaguers are adults. Entry level positions pay minimum wage. Heck In N Out pays more than minimum wage for drive thru staff you're welcome @Stradling I love that you are arguing to pay them nothing just because they are playing a sport. 

We agree to disagree. 

I think make minor league baseball players independent contractors, not employees. Let them negotiate wages and terms of their agreement. MLB clubs should not have control over a player and where they live and where they play said job. If they so choose to negotiate below minimum wage pay then so be it. If they so do so for more than a year then it's on them. But they should have the flexibility to pick and choose and negotiate. Freedom of choice works both ways.

Getting rid of the MLB draft should be the first start of said process. Let the players negotiate with all teams and let who ever is willing to pay the best contract for the best terms win said services for the duration they've agreed upon the contract. Would you disagree with this? 

Just now, Stradling said:

Well I would assume the further up you go in any organization you get bumped up pay.  So start there.  Rookie ball gets paid minimum and move the rest up accordingly.  

The owners may think differently. Something tells me yif you're going to increase their expenses, they're going to find a way to make up for it - like eliminating some teams. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

The owners may think differently. Something tells me yif you're going to increase their expenses, they're going to find a way to make up for it - like eliminating some teams. 

I am ok with that. Cut the amount of leagues and minor league players. If someone wants to start up some independent league somewhere let them. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

10 rounds

What is the 10th round guys getting bonuses of? Also then they should probably cut the draft at 10 rounds then. Having 400 plus rounds, I know hyperbole, that no one watches. Heck even the NFL draft has 7 rounds and many more players on a NFL roster than MLB. Cut it to 7 rounds and make them all televised and make it a bigger spectacle like the NFL or NBA draft. 

Just now, Lou said:

And, coincidentally, at the same time minor leaguers are getting a bump in pay.

See how that works? 

I know all of this.  But they really have always taken advantage of their situation.  Teams can always control how many players they draft to control their costs.  The draft essentially ends when teams stop drafting players.

Just now, Stradling said:

I know all of this.  But they really have always taken advantage of their situation.  Teams can always control how many players they draft to control their costs.  The draft essentially ends when teams stop drafting players.

I don't understand your point as it relates to mine.