• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading David Fletcher

Stradling

imageedit_4_8818835809-1.jpg

Well if we have a thread begging the Angels to trade Trout for Trout’s sake we might as well have a thread with what it would take in your mind to trade David Fletcher.  

I am only trading him if I can get either a starting pitcher with 4 plus years of control that is currently performing at the major league level and that has the ceiling to be a #2.  Or for a guy that is on the verge of being called up and is a can’t miss (yes I know they can miss) legit Ace type of starter.  I fully understand that that probably means he isn’t getting traded and I am fine with that.  

Would any of you consider trading him for Josh Hader?  

This means either you are commited to extending Simmins contract or putting Rengifo at shortstop and extending LaStella for 2nd base. Either that or going big money on the free agent market for a shortstop with leadoff potential. It's a domino effect when you remove a young cost controlled player off the board. 

At the beginning of last season (I think it was), there was a thread asking for your unpopular Angels opinions. I said that I enjoyed watching Fletcher more than Trout. I wasn't 100% serious, but I also wasn't 100% joking. I just love watching the guy play. 

But, obviously, the Angels are desperate for starting pitching. It seems like we're going on half a decade of "Well, if everything goes our way, we should be okay." That needs to stop. So if the Angels could get a guy in return that meets all your qualifications, I would be just fine with the move. 

But, as you correctly point out, there's little chance of that. How many teams have a really good pitcher with 4+ years of control that they'd be willing to trade? 

I like watching Hader pitch, but am I the only one who expects his elbow would explode as soon as he was an Angel? 

3 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I'd only make him available if we were getting a Mike Soroka, Walker Buehler, Shane Bieber, or Jack Flaherty type of young pitcher.

Yea, I think all of those are absolutely sure thing, absolutely yes, types of trades for a guy like Fletcher.  

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This means either you are commited to extending Simmins contract or putting Rengifo at shortstop and extending LaStella for 2nd base. Either that or going big money on the free agent market for a shortstop with leadoff potential. It's a domino effect when you remove a young cost controlled player off the board. 

Of course it does.  But you can get away with extending La Stella and Simmons and bat La Stella at the leadoff and you get a really good OBP guy with better slugging in that spot.  I mean you either pay for a starting pitcher or you pay to extend La Stella and Simmons.  Because when I say trade Fletcher I am talking a pitcher that is going to cost the same as Fletcher.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course it does.  But you can get away with extending La Stella and Simmons and bat La Stella at the leadoff and you get a really good OBP guy with better slugging in that spot.  I mean you either pay for a starting pitcher or you pay to extend La Stella and Simmons.  Because when I say trade Fletcher I am talking a pitcher that is going to cost the same as Fletcher.  

LaStella is 31 and a butcher at 2nd base. More than likely Rengifo gets 2nd base if you keep Simmons. LaStella may become walk candidate if you can't find a cost effective extension.  

23 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Starting pitching. Young starting pitching. The only people untouchable are obviously Rendon, Trout and Ohtani I think Fletcher is a stud and I would put him a step lower than those three. But I don't think he is not a trade able asset. 

I may be overreacting to his slow start with the bat and his elbow injury but I would give more consideration to trading Ohtani than Fletcher....crazy idea but I'd consider it. if the return was a haul....

Just now, DMVol said:

I may be overreacting to his slow start with the bat and his elbow injury but I would give more consideration to trading Ohtani than Fletcher....crazy idea but I'd consider it.....

Would you give consideration to moving Fletcher though? or no you would put Fletcher in the do not move category.

36 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Would you give consideration to moving Fletcher though? or no you would put Fletcher in the do not move category.

I'd consider it....but it has the feel of a trade you'd really regret (Carney Lansford for old timers like me)...BTW, Morosi mentions it in a tweet (sorry if already posted):

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjonmorosi%2Fstatus%2F1296806351402872832&widget=Tweet

Pitching is always at a premium and if you believe the current rumors Philly, NY, Toronto and Arizona are all looking for SP or BP help and I'm sure other teams are too.  If Clevinger is available now or in the off season I'd trade Fletcher and more for him which is what it would take because he or any pitcher at that level with a few years of club control won't come cheap, there will be no shortage of suitors and the Angels need SP in the worst possible way.  The Angels haven't made the playoffs since 2014 and are below .500 since the start of the 2015 season.  The last so many years the discussions on here have more or less gone wait until the deadline but the price was too high, then wait until the off season but the price was too high, rinse and repeat.  Sooner rather than later they need to take a risk on SP whether it's via trade or FA and given that they need a guy with #1-2 potential neither route will be cheap.  That one pitcher isn't going to put them over the top but it goes a long way for a team that for the last few years has been hoping guys coming back from injury, guys on one year deals and younger unproven players can all outperform.

I dont see it.
The kind of guy we want im not sure anyone trades cause literally everyone needs that.  and i think most would value that guy higher than almost any position player based on recent years trades and such so... who do we trade him for?
Certainly not a rental so a Bauer type deal would be foolish.
And were not going to get a May type for him.
Where does that leave us what can he actually get that makes sense for us?

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont see it.
The kind of guy we want im not sure anyone trades cause literally everyone needs that.  and i think most would value that guy higher than almost any position player based on recent years trades and such so... who do we trade him for?
Certainly not a rental so a Bauer type deal would be foolish.
And were not going to get a May type for him.
Where does that leave us what can he actually get that makes sense for us?

Clevinger has been rumored to be someone the Indians may move for over a year now and his current situation has only led to more speculation that he and/or Plesac could be moved.  The Indians pitching has been very good while leading the league in ERA and they just called up one of their top SP prospects.  On offense they currently rank last in average, 23rd in OBP, last in SLG and 29th in OPS.  They've needed OF help for a while now and at 16-9 with pitching depth they have the pieces to make a move to help the offense.  Obviously acquiring Clevinger or anyone like him isn't without risks but that's one reason guys with his upside and club control become available.  I don't disagree that the type of pitcher the Angels need is going to be very expensive via trade but it's either that or hope they land one in FA which may be even more risky given the long term contract it will take.  There's no easy way to accomplish what the Angels need to do and it's not going to happen without taking risks.

3 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Starting pitching. Young starting pitching. The only people untouchable are obviously Rendon, Trout and Ohtani I think Fletcher is a stud and I would put him a step lower than those three. But I don't think he is not a trade able asset. 

At this point I’ll take Fletcher over Ohtani any day of the week. Sorry.

The unintended consequences of trading Fletcher mess up the entire infield, and almost force a La Stella signing and possible Simmons too. Or trade away other assets and/ or gamble with expensive free agents. 

But Rengifo becomes possibly the biggest question. Do they believe his hitting upside Is good enough to compensate for Fletcher or just accept that he will just be a weak hitting second baseman? I don't expect much offense from him, but many teams live with a strong defensive middle infielder who will always hit 8th/9th in the lineup. 

Anyone can be traded for the right price. But Fletcher has value in multiple ways. The Angels would need proven major league quality pitching, and a solid pitching prospect in return. Or maybe a proven infielder instead of the prospect. 

I don't see a trade upcoming, and maybe that"s for the best.