• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

10 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

Do you know anyone who is racist?

Depends how you define racism. In my opinion, racism means you feel certain people, by virtue of their race, are inferior to you (usually in a physical or genetic sense). With that comes a dislike of such people, and perhaps poor or unequal treatment of them. That would be racism.

But I also think racism can be something less extreme than that. Maybe believing people are culturally inferior makes one racist. Or then again, maybe that just makes us human, because we all judge other cultures (just look at the COVID thread and all the posts about what Chinese people eat). 

I think the worst things for black people are the (1) preconceived notions many people have of them, and (2) the circumstances under which so many are raised. I am not sure either constitutes “racism.” In the case of the former, people need to be aware of their biases (which all people have, including blacks) and constantly try not to make assumptions. In the case of the latter, society must do a better job investing in poor communities. They need better schools, better jobs, better healthcare, etc. 

4 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

The first thing I wanted to know when I saw the video was, has he done this before, and to whom?

The cop is a psycho, and did he do this to others, not just a black man?

That particular cop had other complaints filed against him. He had plenty of opportunities to allow George Floyd to get up and breathe. That cop looked desensitized which is very common in law enforcement. They see so much bad that they become a product of their environment. It would not surprise me if they were to determine that Derek Chauvin is clinically insane. He may plead insanity. 

10 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Depends how you define racism. In my opinion, racism means you feel certain people, by virtue of their race, are inferior to you (usually in a physical or genetic sense). With that comes a dislike of such people, and perhaps poor or unequal treatment of them. That would be racism.

But I also think racism can be something less extreme than that. Maybe believing people are culturally inferior makes one racist. Or then again, maybe that just makes us human, because we all judge other cultures (just look at the COVID thread and all the posts about what Chinese people eat). 

I think the worst things for black people are the (1) preconceived notions many people have of them, and (2) the circumstances under which so many are raised. I am not sure either constitutes “racism.” In the case of the former, people need to be aware of their biases (which all people have, including blacks) and constantly try not to make assumptions. In the case of the latter, society must do a better job investing in poor communities. They need better schools, better jobs, better healthcare, etc. 

You're right.  I didn't see the covid thread, but when I saw the wet markets in China, I was so pissed, I hated the Chinese people who frequented them,  and said I would never eat at Panda again. So that was a judgement I made of a culture. 

This is going to piss some people off. No doubt the cop was wrong and deserves to be punished accordingly. the reality is that  floyd was a 20 year criminal with a history of violence and drug addiction. black people are safer without him. lets not forget he robbed a pregnant black woman at gun point. it is time for some perspective and understand he wasnt MLK

8 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

This is going to piss some people off. No doubt the cop was wrong and deserves to be punished accordingly. the reality is that  floyd was a 20 year criminal with a history of violence and drug addiction. black people are safer without him. lets not forget he robbed a pregnant black woman at gun point. it is time for some perspective and understand he wasnt MLK

So it’s okay to murder people who are not an immediate threat to anyone? Good take! 

24 minutes ago, yvangelfan said:

You're right.  I didn't see the covid thread, but when I saw the wet markets in China, I was so pissed, I hated the Chinese people who frequented them,  and said I would never eat at Panda again. So that was a judgement I made of a culture. 

Everyone has these preconceived notions - it doesn’t make you racist. And I’ll bet for every for every fault you find in someone’s culture, a decent person can find as many or more good things. 

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

So it’s okay to murder people who are not an immediate threat to anyone? Good take! 

No. However, we need to stop destroying the country every time a career criminal is a victim of police violence. We can serve justice to the police without making floyd an american hero

3 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

No. However, we need to stop destroying the country every time a career criminal is a victim of police violence. We can serve justice to the police without making floyd an american hero

What “we” are you referring to?

10 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

This is the kind of knee-jerk reaction that sends the message that “cops are bad.” Which is a terrible message to send, and really no different than the assumptions people make about black people because of the actions of a few bad ones.

Rather than taking from police officers, perhaps governments should be reevaluating the property tax laws. Maybe it’s time for wholesale change on that front. And maybe the left should ask themselves whether their anti-business policies are hurting black communities (spoiler alert, they probably are).

Minneapolis’ city council is voting to defund the police and reorganize things. 

I don’t see how you can eliminate the police and still have order. This seems like a terrible knee-jerk reaction in the making.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

Minneapolis’ city council is voting to defund the police and reorganize things. 

I don’t see how you can eliminate the police and still have order. This seems like a terrible knee-jerk reaction in the making.

Watch them all follow now. Police officers will lose jobs over this, crime will go up. But at least we aren’t letting criminals out of jail. 

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Watch them all follow now. Police officers will lose jobs over this, crime will go up. But at least we aren’t letting criminals out of jail. 

The fatal flaw in all of this is thinking that fewer police will equal fewer problems in our communities and that people will willingly behave themselves. We’ll self-destruct if this gets pushed hard onto us.

4 hours ago, yvangelfan said:

Saying "I'm not racist, youngster, but my generation is a bunch of asshole racists".is a big part of the problem.

I don't know anyone who is ingrained in the 50's era. My parents weren't racist, neither were my aunts and uncles. I'm in my forties, and I don't know ANYONE who is racist. But you have your experiences, I guess.

People in their 20's  can be just as racist as anybody. Ask BLM.

Great, you named a half dozen people you know. I'm in my 60's and a good portion of my generation were and still are assholes that smile and act polite in public but will slam the door on any concessions to hiring or promotion. You are probably a little too naive to even notice them, even within the circle of people you know.