• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Biggest One Hit Wonders

I think you could make a case for Darin Erstad in 2000, the greatest non-Trout Angels season according to WAR (8.7). Erstad was a beast that year, hitting .355/.409/.541 with 140 wRC+ and 25 HR. His next best WAR was 3.6 in 2002, and most of that was because of defense (he hit .283/.313/.389 with an 84  wRC+). He never hit .300 in any other season.

Addendum: I don't consider Erstad a one-year wonder, but he is kind of the Jacoby Ellsbury of the Angels franchise: One MVP year, a bunch of decent to pretty good years, with nothing in-between.

Edited by Angelsjunky

On 4/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, happybat4 said:

Article published by ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28941911/the-biggest-one-hit-wonders-every-american-league-team

Peter Bourjus is the Angels biggest one year wonder according to this article. 

Some people here said he would be an all-star.

And they were upset when @Mile High Dreams and I laughed hysterically.

11 hours ago, Lou said:

Some people here said he would be an all-star.

And they were upset when @Mile High Dreams and I laughed hysterically.

Back when he was traded, a Cardinals fan friend who knew that I follow the Angels asked me what they were getting. I told him that his defense was already gold glove caliber. The question was whether he would hit, and if the Angels believed that he would, he wouldn't have been traded. I told him to expect a late inning defensive replacement at best, and if he started, not to expect much offensive production.

18 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think you could make a case for Darin Erstad in 2000, the greatest non-Trout Angels season according to WAR (8.7). Erstad was a beast that year, hitting .355/.409/.541 with 140 wRC+ and 25 HR. His next best WAR was 3.6 in 2002, and most of that was because of defense (he hit .283/.313/.389 with an 84  wRC+). He never hit .300 in any other season.

Addendum: I don't consider Erstad a one-year wonder, but he is kind of the Jacoby Ellsbury of the Angels franchise: One MVP year, a bunch of decent to pretty good years, with nothing in-between.

Was this the year we were all bracing for a possible .400 year?

He was a monster this year, also in the field.