• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Biggest One Hit Wonders

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Jason Dickson is an interesting pick. I remember when he was selected as an all-star because of the "every team needs to be represented" rule.

I'll nominate someone and we can discuss it. Jarrod Washburn 2002.

I'm not big on stats or his overall progression, but I think he put up something like 18 wins and was top 5 in the Cy Young voting. It was never replicated and essentially an anomaly.  

He had some other good years, but that was his best. He was still an effective pitcher when he retired. 

Not really a one hit wonder, but I thought Ramon Ortiz would be a beast.

That game where he went toe to toe against Pedro Martinez and was kind of anointed as the next Pedro, but then would give up like 8 runs to the Royals. Same with Ervin Santana, but he said, "Fuck it, lets pitch" which cures him of anything.....other than the time I was in the players parking lot and he kissed, whom I presume to be his girlfriend, and she was a very large blonde chick with her family. Struck me as odd for being an athlete at the pro level.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'll nominate someone and we can discuss it. Jarrod Washburn 2002.

I'm not big on stats or his overall progression, but I think he put up something like 18 wins and was top 5 in the Cy Young voting. It was never replicated and essentially an anomaly.  

In 2002 he was 18-6 with a 3.15 ERA. He never won more than 11 games in any other season, and his overall record after 12 years in the bigs was 107-109 with a 4.10 ERA. He was 75-57 with the Angels (with 2002 being most of what separated him from a .500 record), 31-49 with Seattle and 1-3 with Detroit.

1 minute ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

In 2002 he was 18-6 with a 3.15 ERA. He never won more than 11 games in any other season, and his overall record after 12 years in the bigs was 107-109 with a 4.10 ERA. He was 75-57 with the Angels (with 2002 being most of what separated him from a .500 record), 31-49 with Seattle and 1-3 with Detroit.

Yeah, complete one year wonder.

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not really a one hit wonder, but I thought Ramon Ortiz would be a beast.

That game where he went toe to toe against Pedro Martinez and was kind of anointed as the next Pedro, but then would give up like 8 runs to the Royals. Same with Ervin Santana, but he said, "Fuck it, lets pitch" which cures him of anything.....other than the time I was in the players parking lot and he kissed, whom I presume to be his girlfriend, and she was a very large blonde chick with her family. Struck me as odd for being an athlete at the pro level.

Ortiz was frustrating. Dude would just look great one game and terrible the next. Seems like Bengie always struggled with getting him in the right head space and following a game plan too. Ervin, while sort of year to year inconsistent early on, has put together a really good career overall.

18 minutes ago, RBM said:

Definitely not a one hit wonder. You could call him a “journeyman” or “innings eater” with a few really solid seasons. Washburn had a career ERA+ of 108. By comparison John Lackey’s was 110. 

The fact that he had a 12-year career tells you that teams saw value in him, even after he was unable to replicate 2002.

3 hours ago, RBM said:

Definitely not a one hit wonder. You could call him a “journeyman” or “innings eater” with a few really solid seasons. Washburn had a career ERA+ of 108. By comparison John Lackey’s was 110. 

Umm, he had an anomaly season....the epitome of a one hit wonder. He was a mediocre pitcher that had a ridiculous one seasons, again, a one season wonder.

Just because the dude was basic or serviceable his entire career doesn't mean his overachieving 2002 is dismissed or doesn't make him a one hit wonder for the Angels.

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Nope. One hit wonders don't have long careers. They have one hit song and that’s it. That’s not Wash. He had a higher career ERA+ than most of the guys in that 2002 rotation. He had other above average seasons/hits. He averaged 30 starts per season over a 9 year span. Call him what you want but it sure as hell is not a one year/hit player. 

Ummmm, he had one anomaly season regardless of his career averages. That's exactly what a one hit wonder is.

He overachieved for one single season, that's the point. Outside of that he was a mediocre pitcher.

I don't get it, you're arguing that he's not a one hit wonder because he played many years while he had one standout season that was never close to his career averages. That's what this thread is about.....one hit wonders and he had a one hit wonder season. What's there not to understand?

18 minutes ago, RBM said:

I agree!

Or context

Well done, sir. You took a mediocre pitcher who finished in the top 5 of Cy Young voting with a once in a lifetime season that fit the thread description and tried to make it into his career stats of mediocrity.

He pitched like an ace for one year while being .500 or worse the rest of the time, the meaning of one year wonder. Sorry for upsetting you, Jarrod.

7 minutes ago, RBM said:

Why are you focused on winning percentage? It’s not how you measure a SP. 
Washburn was slightly above average and was still pitching well in his 12th season. Definitely not Dexys Midnight Runners...😂

That's not the point, but you're an analytics nerd and want to make it one.

Tell me which season stands out dramatically from the others and which could constitute a one year wonder:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.28.31 PM.png

On 4/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, happybat4 said:

Was he ever a wonder? His "best" year was 2.3 WAR. He was only an all star because somebody had to be. 

Were you watching at the time? 

First half he was looking like an ace, on pace for 20 wins. We didn't have a lot to cheer for in those years so his hype definitely got built up within fan base. 

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Were you watching at the time? 

First half he was looking like an ace, on pace for 20 wins. We didn't have a lot to cheer for in those years so his hype definitely got built up within fan base. 

I was to young to really know at the time. Don't remember the hype. But he was an all star. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:08 PM, Brandon said:

Or context

Well done, sir. You took a mediocre pitcher who finished in the top 5 of Cy Young voting with a once in a lifetime season that fit the thread description and tried to make it into his career stats of mediocrity.

He pitched like an ace for one year while being .500 or worse the rest of the time, the meaning of one year wonder. Sorry for upsetting you, Jarrod.

Sorry but got to disagree.  A one hit wonder would gave one great season and then suck the rest of his career.  Washburn did not suck the rest of his career.  One hit wonders have short careers.    Again that doesn't fit Washburn. 

Bourjos fits the one hit wonder.  He had a great first season.  He was injured or a defensive replacement the test of his career. 

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Sorry but got to disagree.  A one hit wonder would gave one great season and then suck the rest of his career.  Washburn did not suck the rest of his career.  One hit wonders have short careers.    Again that doesn't fit Washburn. 

Bourjos fits the one hit wonder.  He had a great first season.  He was injured or a defensive replacement the test of his career. 

No, one hit wonders have nothing to do with how long someone played. It's just that, an anomaly of a season compared to career or career averages.

I even posted his stats. This isn't even an argument. He was a mediocre pitcher with one year of Cy Young consideration.....the epitome of one hit wonder.