• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Griffin Canning getting an MRI on his elbow

Chuck

When will teams/ pitching coaches start evaluating pitching mechanics (slow mo video) and training to try to avoid injuries before they happen. There are guys out there that predict which pitchers are going to get injured based off their mechanics.  Chris O'Leary  is one but there are others too. He has a position he calls the JT twist and other tell tale signs to predict the the probability for a pitcher's arm and shoulder health. I know its almost like shooting fish in a barrel but his record is pretty amazing. Angels need  to do something.      

2 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

When will teams/ pitching coaches start evaluating pitching mechanics (slow mo video) and training to try to avoid injuries before they happen. There are guys out there that predict which pitchers are going to get injured based off their mechanics.  Chris O'Leary  is one but there are others too. He has a position he calls the JT twist and other tell tale signs to predict the the probability for a pitcher's arm and shoulder health. I know its almost like shooting fish in a barrel but his record is pretty amazing. Angels need  to do something.      

When did O'Leary have Canning getting injured?

24 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

All 30 MLB teams have millions of dollars in guaranteed contracts to these pitchers...do you think they just shrug and say to themselves "Whelp"?  If they knew how to prevent arm injuries, they'd do it.  The Yankees have more money invested in their franchise than anyone other than maybe the Dodgers and just lost their most promising starter for the next 1 1/2 seasons and their only solution to their lack of pitching was offering 9 years guaranteed to another starting pitcher.  I know it feels like it just happens to us but every team loses pitchers to arm injuries because throwing a ball overhand at a 95+ MPH is an unnatural thing for the body to do to begin with, everyone's body is different so coming to a consensus solution may be difficult, and even the most durable starters go down to injury eventually.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Too many pitchers throw too hard too soon in their development?      Are Little Leagues, Pony Leagues, etc. going to eventually understand that? 

Canning didn't pitch that many innings at UCLA, and has been treated with kid gloves here.   And still, two shutdowns and now this 

I don't think pitching year round helps...it's likely beneficial to play a lot different sports instead of specializing so maybe you are a more complete athlete...but, still, who knows?

Therefore, including data from a list found on Tommy John Surgery List @MLB Player Analysis, 18 MLB players had Tommy John surgery in 2019, making a total of 473 MLB players that have had TJ surgery since 1974. The total for all baseball players who had TJ surgery in 2019 was 80 players, making a grand total of 1,821 players who have had TJ surgery at least once, if not multiple times, in their baseball careers, including high school, college, all levels of minor league baseball and MLB.

All the cool kids are doing it!

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

I don’t think anybody ever thought about looking at mechanics to minimize injuries before.  This is a hellova idea.

Brutal news.   Hope he's ok.

40 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Too many pitchers throw too hard too soon in their development?      Are Little Leagues, Pony Leagues, etc. going to eventually understand that? 

Canning didn't pitch that many innings at UCLA, and has been treated with kid gloves here.   And still, two shutdowns and now this 

This my theory too.   I've seen some incredibly, unbelievably, amazingly stupid things done by fathers.   Fathers who thought they were doing the right thing to give their kid an advantage in making a HS team in the hyper-competitive area.   

One manager had his talented son throwing the max in our league, then sneaking in multiple Travel ball starts in the same week.    The kid was good enough to be scouted by HS coaches and they tried to warn the father that he was making a big mistake.   He didn't listen.    Then the kid's arm was injured and the father still made him pitch.  Parents were upset with the father, but he still wouldn't listen.  He thought he was showing his son how to be tougher than other players.   When the father finally shut him down for the season, it was too late.  The kid couldn't even throw from 1B to the pitcher.  He literally had to roll the ball back.    The manager asked us to be on his team again next season.   We said no thanks.    We joined a different league and the last we heard was the kid never pitched again.

31 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I don't think pitching year round helps...it's likely beneficial to play a lot different sports instead of specializing so maybe you are a more complete athlete...but, still, who knows?

Real Sports had a really good segment on this. Didnt feature baseball (from what I remember), but a ton of college and younger level athletes who have had TJ level injuries, specifically from only playing one sport.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Had a feeling this would happen eventually. Didnt he already have some red flags?

Oh yeah. He fell to the 2nd round although it was pretty much unanimously acknowledged that he had Top-10 talent. Then, after drafting him in '17, the Angels didn't even pitch him that year, they let him take it off. Last season he was shut down in August. He has been handled with kid gloves.

That's why I'm hoping this is just more precaution. But I have a bad feeling. 

So why don't teams draft pitchers and send them straight to the surgeon. Have both the shoulder and the elbow made bionic.  Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.  Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster." I mean it is almost inevitable so get it done early.    

1 minute ago, Rollinghard said:

So why don't teams draft pitchers and send them straight to the surgeon. Have both the shoulder and the elbow made bionic.  Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.  Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster." I mean it is almost inevitable so get it done early.    

Because that would be dumb 

44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

i've also heard it's very detrimental to kids arms/elbows if they start throwing breaking pitches too soon and too often.

4 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

this is just a shot in the dark, but just out of curiosity, did you happen to go to hofstra?