• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Griffin Canning getting an MRI on his elbow

Chuck

The injury to Canning is very unfortunate.  We all know this.  But, this is also why we haven't traded away Sandoval, Suarez,  and Barria.  One of those, along with Andriesse and J.C. Ramirez, who looked pretty good yesterday, BTW, will be expected to step up and fill what is now the number 5 or 6 spot in the rotation.

We may also be watching the waiver wire toward the end of spring training to see what is available.  And, that deal with the Dodgers could be revisited, if Mr. Moreno and Mr. Eppler feel that it could strengthen the club.  

This has the Garrett Richards situation written all over it.  It doesn't tear, but it causes pain every time he pitches.  They try everything to fix it, nothing works and surgery eventually is needed.

That said, you don't just make him have surgery just to "get it over with".  You have to follow the steps in hope something works.

Odds aren't good though.

11 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

This has the Garrett Richards situation written all over it.  It doesn't tear, but it causes pain every time he pitches.  They try everything to fix it, nothing works and surgery eventually is needed.

That said, you don't just make him have surgery just to "get it over with".  You have to follow the steps in hope something works.

Odds aren't good though.

GRich had a partial tear of the ligament (grade 2) and tried treating it with PRP injections and rehab even though Tommy John surgery was recommended.  Different scenario here since Canning has no year (per his MRI and Fletcher).  That can change but, again, that's most pitchers throwing overhand.

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

"preventative UCL reconstruction "

If I were a surgeon, I would strongly consider pioneering this. Remember Dr. Frank Jobe was considered a little crazy. 

And if we can't/won't send are draft picks straight to surgery how about mandatory preventive PRP? 

That would be dumb.

19 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

GRich had a partial tear of the ligament (grade 2) and tried treating it with PRP injections and rehab even though Tommy John surgery was recommended.  Different scenario here since Canning has no year (per his MRI and Fletcher).  That can change but, again, that's most pitchers throwing overhand.

I may be wrong, but I believe the first time Richards had an elbow issue, there was no tear.

38 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the first time Richards had an elbow issue, there was no tear.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702504-garrett-richards-elbow-injury-diagnosed-as-ucl-damage-may-need-surgery

He was limited to six starts in 2016 due to a torn elbow ligament.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-garrett-richards-tommy-john-surgery-20160506-story.html

MAY 6, 2016

Garrett Richards sat at the far end of the dugout Friday discussing the latest calamity of his star-crossed career, a “high-grade” ulnar collateral ligament tear that will probably require surgery and sideline the Angels ace for the rest of this season and at least half of 2017.

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Per another tweeted article: "To date, there is no data to support or even consider preventative UCL reconstruction to improve throwing velocity or prevent injuries in the future".

The best thing to do, per all credible sources, is to try and save/rehab the existing UCL and only operate if absolutely necessary. 

And: don't throw curveballs until HS, don't throw over 100-110 pitches in college games, and don't pitch year round. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702504-garrett-richards-elbow-injury-diagnosed-as-ucl-damage-may-need-surgery

He was limited to six starts in 2016 due to a torn elbow ligament.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-garrett-richards-tommy-john-surgery-20160506-story.html

MAY 6, 2016

Garrett Richards sat at the far end of the dugout Friday discussing the latest calamity of his star-crossed career, a “high-grade” ulnar collateral ligament tear that will probably require surgery and sideline the Angels ace for the rest of this season and at least half of 2017.

Thanks for looking it up.  For some reason I remembered it not being as big of a deal originally. 

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

Odds aren't good though.

This

He's already been shut down twice since being drafted, before this third issue.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And: don't throw curveballs until HS, don't throw over 100-110 pitches in college games, and don't pitch year round. 

Maybe?  I think it's probably a good idea to focus on throwing fastballs for strikes first and then maybe introducing a cutter for something different since it doesn't stress the arm any differently...you just change the grip.  Then, work on a change up.

After that, yes, only pitch during the baseball season and play other sports but also continue to build arm strength with long toss...also limit the pitches thrown.  

All these seem reasonable and good suggestions but I have no idea if they would actually accomplish anything.

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Thanks for looking it up.  For some reason I remembered it not being as big of a deal originally. 

I think we had some hope that the PRP would help, and initially there was enough healing to start a rehab, but fully tore eventually.  On the flip side, Tanaka recovered from a grade 2 sprain with injections.