• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout on playing CF

nate

Their overall value to the team is irrelevant to where they should play defensively. They should play in the position that takes advantage of both of their skill sets. I love how people jump to the assumption that this move is going to hurt the chances of the Angels holding on to Trout long term. Again, of course he isn't quite as comfortable there - that comfort level will increase over time. But his level of comfort is not enough reason to leave him in CF when you have another player who is a better fit for that position. He doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves. He's not a mental midget or fragile. He knows why he's being moved to LF and he understands it.

“I really can’t do much because I know that’s the plan,” Trout said. “Whatever’s best for team, I’ll do. Down the road, I’d like to play center field. I definitely feel more comfortable there. I played it my whole life. It comes naturally to me.

“In left field, it’s tough to get used to the different angles, the way the ball comes off the bat differently, the way balls curve and the way they come out of the lights. But you want to do what’s best for the team. With Petey in center field, that’s the way it’s going to be.”

"Trout says he is more comfortable in center field but acknowledged his surge at the plate has more to do with a slight adjustment in his stance and laying off more pitches outside the strike zone."

“There are moves for individual players that are made for the benefit of the team,” Scioscia said on Thursday. “That happens and I know Mike understands this. I can’t say it any clearer: ‘We know Mike’s a center fielder.’ You’re putting lineups together with the whole team there and I don’t anticipate any significant drop-off because he’s moved from center to left.

“It’s not like he’s a center fielder and we said 'Mike we need you to catch. Let’s go back there and try to catch and still play offense.' We’ve taken him from a position he can play very well to a position he can play very well. What’s the difference?”

Trout acknowledged Sunday that he prefers center field, the position he's played since the Angels selected him in the first round of the 2009 amateur draft. But he also said that he believes playing in left field will help him to become a more complete outfielder.

"I'm a center fielder, obviously," Trout said. "But you know, when you're an outfielder, you should be able to play all three. I think it's going to help me get reads off the bat. It's going to be a fun adjustment for me."

During batting practice this spring training, Trout has made a habit of spending two days in left field and two days in center, often rotating on a daily basis. He said the idea was to remain sharp in center field while adjusting to left, where he mostly played late in games last season.

"My main position is center field, obviously. It's definitely a different position than left field. But I just have to make an adjustment and go with the move," he said. "I feel fine out there. Just getting into games, getting some experience out there will definitely help me."

“When you’re out there playing free and comfortable, I think you play better,” said Trout, who was hitting .252 with two homers and 12 RBIs in 25 games before the switch. “But I don’t know if there’s a difference in how I hit when I’m playing center or left. I think I just got hot when I moved to center.”

He also said that he plays better overall when he plays CF. Keep your superstar happy.

Actually, he didn't say  that. And again, there is zero reason to believe that Trout is not happy. 

If the long term plan is to keep Bourjos, then put him in left and give him the extra encouragement, attention, patience. . whatever it takes to get to where he's comfortable there.

If the plan is to trade him, then put him back in center to show off his skills and hope for a good offer.

I don't think it would necessarily be a mistake to move Trout to left, but it's obvious he prefers center.  Whether a move to left affects his play or the ability to keep him long term, only he and (hopefully) Angel management knows.  But why take the chance with an elite talent?

That's just my take; there are valid points on both sides of the issue.

Exactly! Imagine the difference if Trout was on the DL for a month instead of Bourjos; their importance in the overall scheme of things would become abundantly clear. Bourjos should play LF when he returns.

More reason to keep Bourjos in CF and Trout in LF. Let Bourjos take the beating of playing the more physically demanding position. Halos need Trout on the field as long as possible for as many years as possible.

Bourjos is also a better defensive CFer, so there's that as well

More reason to keep Bourjos in CF and Trout in LF. Let Bourjos take the beating of playing the more physically demanding position. Halos need Trout on the field as long as possible for as many years as possible.

Bourjos is also a better defensive CFer, so there's that as well

I think this is a side some people aren't looking at either.

If he's in left, he can extend his career more. Center field can really take a toll on your body.

I can see both sides to this argument and I'm not sure what the right plan is but I'm sure Dipoto has a plan.

Exactly! Imagine the difference if Trout was on the DL for a month instead of Bourjos; their importance in the overall scheme of things would become abundantly clear. Bourjos should play LF when he returns.

You're actually making an argument against yourself.  If Trout were out for a month - say, like he was at the beginning of last season - we'd see where we miss him the most is at the plate.  That's where Trout has the most value.  It doesn't matter if he's in LF or CF as long as he's getting ABs.  

Trout is eventually going to move to left once he reaches his early 30s. Let's not make him a career left fielder

Why? Seriously, if that's where he fits best on this team, based on the roster, that's where he should play. Right now, that's where he best fits, If that changes, he should move to CF.

The greats don't show weakness, or admit to being weaker in one area. Why would he say, "I suck at the plate when I am in LF?" Whether it is true or not, he would never come out and say it.

The greats wouldn't suck at the plate by playing left field!

Why? Seriously, if that's where he fits best on this team, based on the roster, that's where he should play. Right now, that's where he best fits, If that changes, he should move to CF.

I didn't say anything about right now. I said let's not make him a career left fielder. I would prefer to trade Bourjos for pitching help (bullpen or starter), but that is not likely to happen by the deadline because the Angels don't have anyone to DH.

Next season, I would like to see Trumbo in RF, Hamilton in LF and Trout in CF. And it should stay that way for the next 4 years.

Except Trout said he feels better when he plays CF.  He is the best player on the team... shouldn't we listen to him?

The worst thing a franchise should do is pander to a super star but playing him at a position where there is someone better than him.

I didn't say anything about right now. I said let's not make him a career left fielder. I would prefer to trade Bourjos for pitching help (bullpen or starter), but that is not likely to happen by the deadline because the Angels don't have anyone to DH.

Next season, I would like to see Trumbo in RF, Hamilton in LF and Trout in CF. And it should stay that way for the next 4 years.

again, why does it matter if he is a career CF? If he plays LF for the same reasons as he is now, and it happens to go his entire career, why does it matter? He can still be one of the best defensive LF of all time while putting up HOF offensive numbers.

Trumbo should not be a full time OF. 

Trout is eventually going to move to left once he reaches his early 30s. Let's not make him a career left fielder

I think a split between the 2 positions would be best suited for him. If Bourjos comes back and is producing near what he was doing before, then he needs a spot on this team.

again, why does it matter if he is a career CF? If he plays LF for the same reasons as he is now, and it happens to go his entire career, why does it matter? He can still be one of the best defensive LF of all time while putting up HOF offensive numbers.

Trumbo should not be a full time OF. 

Because you can make the team better by trading Bourjos and aligning the OF as I mentioned. If Calhoun pans out, you can continue to platoon him in RF with Trumbo sliding Trumbo into the 1B/DH spot. This organization doesn't have much to deal to improve the team outside of Bourjos.

And just because you keep Trout in CF for the next 10 years doesn't mean he has to be a career CF'er.

Because you can make the team better by trading Bourjos and aligning the OF as I mentioned. If Calhoun pans out, you can continue to platoon him in RF with Trumbo sliding Trumbo into the 1B/DH spot. This organization doesn't have much to deal to improve the team outside of Bourjos.

And just because you keep Trout in CF for the next 10 years doesn't mean he has to be a career CF'er.

I don't think it's a given by any stretch of the imagination that trading Bourjos for pitching makes the team better. And putting Trumbo in the outfield as a regular position is not a good idea. 

And, just because you play Trout in LF for the next 10 years doesn't mean he is a career LF'er

I don't think it's a given by any stretch of the imagination that trading Bourjos for pitching makes the team better. And putting Trumbo in the outfield as a regular position is not a good idea. 

And, just because you play Trout in LF for the next 10 years doesn't mean he is a career LF'er

That's not what I said. Read thoroughly. I said you could platoon him in RF with Calhoun if he pans out. Or sign a LH OF free agent with an arm to play RF if he doesn't. Then you could play Trumbo at 1B and DH and part time in RF.

You're actually making an argument against yourself.  If Trout were out for a month - say, like he was at the beginning of last season - we'd see where we miss him the most is at the plate.  That's where Trout has the most value.  It doesn't matter if he's in LF or CF as long as he's getting ABs.  

I agree. We need Trout's bat. If he is a better hitter (for whatever reason) when he plays CF then that's where he should play. The difference in Bourjos' batting if he plays LF will be negligible because he's never been that great of a hitter anyway.

That's not what I said. Read thoroughly. I said you could platoon him in RF with Calhoun if he pans out. Or sign a LH OF free agent with an arm to play RF if he doesn't. Then you could play Trumbo at 1B and DH and part time in RF.

I did read what you said thoroughly. You're relying on an unknown (Calhoun) who may pan out to platoon with Trumbo and/or assuming that they can sign an adequate LH OF FA. I'd rather not make those moves or those assumptions.