• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout on playing CF

nate

I agree. We need Trout's bat. If he is a better hitter (for whatever reason) when he plays CF then that's where he should play. The difference in Bourjos' batting if he plays LF will be negligible because he's never been that great of a hitter.

So there's no reason to play him in CF then

I did read what you said thoroughly. You're relying on an unknown (Calhoun) who may pan out to platoon with Trumbo and/or assuming that they can sign an adequate LH OF FA. I'd rather not make those moves or those assumptions. 

By that logic, you were against bringing up Trout last season. He was an "unknown" and you don't want to assume that he could play at the Major League level.

Uh ya, Trout's abilities/expectations and Calhoun's are comparable. It's not the same line of thinking at all. 

Sure it is. Wood and McPherson were ranked just as high if not higher than Trout, look how they panned out.

You aren't asking Calhoun to be the best player on the team, you are asking him to be a role player, much like Trot Nixon when he was with the Red Sox. He doesn't have to set the world on fire to be a successful Major Leaguer on this team. He just needs to play solid OF defense and bat 7th in the lineup with a .270 average and .340 obp.

No, it isn't. You cannot be serious. Wood and McPherson were never ranked as high as Trout. 

Again, you have to believe that a trade makes the team better on the net. I don't think those kind of moves give the team a net gain. You seem to think so. We don't agree, imagine that. 

When Trout goes to the Yankees in a few years this whole discussion will be moot.

I agree with you. I made a similar comment a few weeks ago and some of the locals nearly sh*t themselves. I got called every name in the book. They should do everything they can to keep him happy, so they can lock him up when the time comes.

I agree with you. I made a similar comment a few weeks ago and some of the locals nearly sh*t themselves. I got called every name in the book. They should do everything they can to keep him happy, so they can lock him up when the time comes.

The Steinbrenner boys are lining up their funds and waiting patiently for the opportunity. Knowing us, we'll find a way to blow it.

All three were top 10 prospects.

I can't help you if you think that the Angels are fine as is. Their under .500 record begs to differ.

And tell me, how many trades are made in Major League baseball that gives both teams a "net gain" as you say? Someone has to lose in a trade. Even trades or trades where you rip off the other team are very few and far between.

Unless you are the Angels getting ripped off as in the Corbin, Skaggs and Segura trades.

All three were top 10 prospects.

I can't help you if you think that the Angels are fine as is. Their under .500 record begs to differ.

And tell me, how many trades are made in Major League baseball that gives both teams a "net gain" as you say? Someone has to lose in a trade. Even trades or trades where you rip off the other team are very few and far between.

Unless you are the Angels getting ripped off as in the Corbin, Skaggs and Segura trades.

All three were top 10 prospects, neither of the other two were ever on the level of Trout, not ever. Implying such is laughable.

I have never stated or even implied that I think the Angels are fine as is. In fact I have complained many times at the state of their pitching including how I would have preferred spending big money for pitching this last off season over signing Hamilton. The Angels need better pitching no question.

I would venture to say that most if not all GM's make trades with the goal of having a net gain for their team - be it short term or long term. If you're the Angels GM, you should not be trading away talent (especially cheap talent) like Bourjos if you're not netting a gain for the Angels. No effing way. How many times have we heard from the Angels that they are open to trades/acquisitions if they make the team better? There's no point in making a trade for any GM if you're not making your team better. Someone doesn't have to lose in a trade. You find a trade partner that needs what you have and is willing to trade what you need. GM's are not going to let go of good pitching if they aren't going to fill a need they have and make their team better. It's just not going to happen. All GM's are interested in making their teams better when they trade.

The Steinbrenner boys are lining up their funds and waiting patiently for the opportunity. Knowing us, we'll find a way to blow it.

Yep. Trout, a kid from Jersey, playing for the Yankees. He would be like a super hero over there. I pray every night before bed that this doesn't happen.

sigh, and again there is zero reason to believe he is not happy or that the Angels will not be able to lock him up long term. It's a stupid road to go down. 

no not really. I like him as a 5th corner OF, back-up 1B and a DH. I just don't think he should be a full time or platoon OF. We have better options.

This is why I have been preaching trading Trumbo and Bourjos for awhile now.

All three were top 10 prospects, neither of the other two were ever on the level of Trout, not ever. Implying such is laughable.

I have never stated or even implied that I think the Angels are fine as is. In fact I have complained many times at the state of their pitching including how I would have preferred spending big money for pitching this last off season over signing Hamilton. The Angels need better pitching no question.

I would venture to say that most if not all GM's make trades with the goal of having a net gain for their team - be it short term or long term. If you're the Angels GM, you should not be trading away talent (especially cheap talent) like Bourjos if you're not netting a gain for the Angels. No effing way. How many times have we heard from the Angels that they are open to trades/acquisitions if they make the team better? There's no point in making a trade for any GM if you're not making your team better. Someone doesn't have to lose in a trade. You find a trade partner that needs what you have and is willing to trade what you need. GM's are not going to let go of good pitching if they aren't going to fill a need they have and make their team better. It's just not going to happen. All GM's are interested in making their teams better when they trade.

As opposed to teams that come out and say "we are open to making trades that make the team worse?"

The fact that you think the team would not be better with Bourjos traded for pitching is what is laughable. Short term or long term.