• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout on playing CF

nate

As opposed to teams that come out and say "we are open to making trades that make the team worse?"

The fact that you think the team would not be better with Bourjos traded for pitching is what is laughable. Short term or long term.

That all depends on the return now doesn't it. There's nothing laughable about it. I really don't think we will find a trade partner that will give up quality pitching for Bourjos in order to get a net gain. That being said, as I have stated in these discussions about Bourjos before, if they can land quality pitching in return and improve the team overall, they should make the trade.

Trumbo can't play the field, and Bourjos can't hit. Both being played at positions of strength. They both need to be moved for pitching.

Trumbo's bat speaks loudly enough for him to be valuable in those roles I listed - he can fill multiple roles based on the need at the time, and it keeps his bat in the lineup.

As for Bourjos, he can hit and he is one of the top defensive CF'ers in the game.

If they keep giving Trout these tiny raises every year, they'll lose him. Bank on it.

They need to lock him up sooner rather than later, but there's a big salary drag for the next few years with Pujols and Hamilton. 

We'll see how it goes.

I agree they need to lock him up sooner than later.  The sooner the Angels offer an extension, the more incentive for Trout to take the deal.  The later they incentive comes, the less incentive for Trout to take it.

As opposed to teams that come out and say "we are open to making trades that make the team worse?"

The fact that you think the team would not be better with Bourjos traded for pitching is what is laughable. Short term or long term.

What is laughable is that you make the assumption that since we haven't traded Bourjos for pitching that the Angels have turned down pitching for Bourjos.  We don't know if we have been offered pitching for him.

If we are offered  a couple of prospects like Skaggs and Corbin for PB than hell yes, make the move.  If we can get a quality middle of the rotation starter for PB, then hell yes, make the move.

However, if we are offered two marginal prospects like Hellweg or Pena for PB, than hell no stay with him.  PB is good and he is cheap.  AND if he is on the team, have Trout play LF.  This isn't complicated to understand.

I think there are two separate arguments here...

1) what to do with Trout this year

2) what to do with Trout after this year.

I think it would be wise to move Trout to CF full time after this season. I said earlier, you won't get a quality arm at the deadline this season for Bourjos, but if Bourjos has a solid season once he comes back, his trade value goes up, thereby increasing the chances of getting a quality arm.

I think many underestimate the value of the defense Bourjos brings and over estimate the value of a once every 5 day middle of the rotation pitcher. I'm all for better pitching but only if it provides a net gain. It's not an easy task to say the least. 

Stupid? I believe your derogatory post falls under the Personal Insults category.

And you'd be wrong. I didn't insult you as a person, I simply said waging the argument is a stupid road to go down. Feel free to report my post to the MOD's though.

And you'd be wrong. I didn't insult you as a person, I simply said waging the argument is a stupid road to go down. Feel free to report my post to the MOD's though.

It's not an argument, it's an opinion. Not everybody views a simple discussion as a potential argument. Why would I report it to the MODs? I was half-joking anyway. Geez, lighten up.

yeah I dont know how to break it down for you any further than sayinh our pitching depth cost us this year,.not the of depth.

I don't disagree with that but the comment still doesn't make sense. The "all world OF" didn't fail, there is still plenty of merit in having that OF. Not having better pitching is a fail. That doesn't mean trading Trumbo and Bourjos is a good idea.

We are listening to him. That doesn't mean he should play CF over Bourjos. 

And he didn't say he feels better when he plays CF or that it has any impact on his offense - and the stats bear that out. He feels more comfortable there because he's played there much more than other positions in the OF. He's used to picking up the ball there, reading it off the bat, knowing the way balls curve, etc. There's some adjustment that he has to make getting used to the different angle. So of course he isn't quite as comfortable there - that comfort level will increase over time. But his level of comfort is not enough reason to leave him in CF when you have another player who is a better fit for that position. He doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves. He's not a mental midget or fragile. He knows why he's being moved to LF and he understands it.

Very well put.

Bourjos is a better center fielder. He has more range and a better glove. If we start allowing players to stake claims to certain positions to the exclusion of others, we have a major problem. It's just like any of us at work. We may be given assignments we had rather not do, but it all pays the same and we have to give our best effort no matter what the boss assigns us to do.

We pay a manager - very well, I might add - to put the team on the field every night that he believes gives us the best chance to win. If that means Bourjos in center and Trout in left, so be it.

It's not an argument, it's an opinion. Not everybody views a simple discussion as a potential argument. Why would I report it to the MODs? I was half-joking anyway. Geez, lighten up.

an opinion, in the midst of a discussion, is an argument.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/argument

Oh and sorry, it's a little hard to read half joking on a message board. Which half was the joking half?

Very well put.

Bourjos is a better center fielder. He has more range and a better glove. If we start allowing players to stake claims to certain positions to the exclusion of others, we have a major problem. It's just like any of us at work. We may be given assignments we had rather not do, but it all pays the same and we have to give our best effort no matter what the boss assigns us to do.

We pay a manager - very well, I might add - to put the team on the field every night that he believes gives us the best chance to win. If that means Bourjos in center and Trout in left, so be it.

But, if Trout bats better when he plays CF then wouldn't the right decision be to play him there? That would give them the best chance to win, wouldn't it? It's not like Trout isn't a capable, above-average CFer.

I don't disagree with that but the comment still doesn't make sense. The "all world OF" didn't fail, there is still plenty of merit in having that OF. Not having better pitching is a fail. That doesn't mean trading Trumbo and Bourjos is a good idea.

From what ive been reading and hearing all offseason and season long is that Dipoto did not want to trade Bourjos. By all accounts several organizations showed interest but.he wanted to roll with.this all world defense this season.

As long as you don't disagree, then the whole world can move on ha?

I think many underestimate the value of the defense Bourjos brings and over estimate the value of a once every 5 day middle of the rotation pitcher. I'm all for better pitching but only if it provides a net gain. It's not an easy task to say the least. 

The OF defense hasn't done crap for the rotation we already have.

But, if Trout bats better when he plays CF then wouldn't the right decision be to play him there? That would give them the best chance to win, wouldn't it? It's not like Trout isn't a capable, above-average CFer.

But there is zero reason to believe that that's the case.

So the team should play the better center fielder in CF. And that would be Bourjos.

how many times do we have to go through this? Trout doesn't bat better when he plays CF. 

Trout while in LF last year - nearly double the AB's vs this year so far - 

.326 .395 .645 1.040