• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does every other team have at least one starting pitcher that is better than anyone on the Angels?

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

We’re talking who is better. You’re talking about value. Someone can be more valuable and still not better than another player.

Point: 200 innings of 4.5 ERA from Teheran vs 100 innings of 3.5 ERA from Ohtani. 

Ohtani is better, but not as valuable (most likely) because Teheran appears in more games.

You're talking about Ohtani when I was responding to your Mike Trout commentary.  Those are two entirely different conversations.  

Now please find me where I have argued that Teheran is better or more valuable than Ohtani...   

I'll wait.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

You're talking about Ohtani when I was responding to your Mike Trout commentary.  Those are two entirely different conversations.  

Now please find me where I have argued that Teheran is better or more valuable than Ohtani...   

I'll wait.

It’s the same logic, though. And I only brought  that up because of Ohtani.

9 minutes ago, RendZone said:

I think it’s safe to say that the HELP WANTED sign will remain posted through 2020.

I don't think the HELP WANTED sign ever goes down for virtually any team.  Unless you have virtually unlimited funds to throw at the problem, or have shit your bed for a large number of years and drafted extremely wisely, the sign is always up and you are left chasing a dream.

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know why you posted this, but I'll echo what @tomsred said. 

Also, if you think the Angels have been bargain basement shopping this offseason you've must of slept through the Rendon signing. 

Rendon was definitely a pleasant surprise signing but we all know that the pitcher is the most important person in the game and will have the most impact on whether a team wins of loses. The pitcher, along with the catcher, is involved in every play. 

I’m not saying we whiffed but it’s definitely not our strength. I specifically remember a thread years back when we said that we would just outhit everyone. That didn’t work very well. 

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

Rendon was definitely a pleasant surprise signing but we all know that the pitcher is the most important person in the game and will have the most impact on whether a team wins of loses. The pitcher, along with the catcher, is involved in every play. 

I’m not saying we whiffed but it’s definitely not our strength. I specifically remember a thread years back when we said that we would just outhit everyone. That didn’t work very well. 

You mean, a pitcher is the most important person every five games. 

Thankfully Rendon will contribute every day. 

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

Likewise I remember you responding to every post about Cole by saying the offense ALSO needed help.   You also went on record that while Cole would be nice, the team needed multiple innings eaters.   Basically, you got the off-season you wanted.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Likewise I remember you responding to every post about Cole by saying the offense ALSO needed help.   You also went on record that while Cole would be nice, the team needed multiple innings eaters.   Basically, you the off-season you wanted.

Yes we did well. We will all find out together if it was good enough. 

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm still hoping for one more arm because IMHO, they would likely be better off rotating guys through a 6 man rotation.... anything that keeps Canning and Sandoval "fresh".   

They considered a six man rotation in Ohtani’s rookie season. They need to revisit that concept. There’s nothing wrong with six guys eating 125–140 innings. 

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm still hoping for one more arm because IMHO, they would likely be better off rotating guys through a 6 man rotation.... anything that keeps Canning and Sandoval "fresh".   

Yes, and I’d be fine if it were a reasonably priced one year deal for a guy with upside (no pressure Mr. Eppler).  One advantage of this staff is the number of optional guys that can rotate through the rotation, so to speak.

16 hours ago, Second Base said:

That's a response that always irks me. In 2002, their only competition for the division was the A's. The rest of the division didn't mount much of an attack. 

Plus the starters in 2002 ate innings

And in 2020, the Astros, A's and Rangers all three have a better rotation than the Angels and the Angels rotation isn't covering nearly as many innings as 2002. 

These two aren't compatible. The 2020 Angels have a MUCH harder road to the playoffs than the 2002 Angels. And subsequently, will need a MUCH better rotation than the 2002 Angels. 

There's no way around it, in itself to make the playoffs, it's VERY likely the Angels will need a mid rotation starter. 

This is just flat out false. The Mariners led the division through mid August and were coming off a 116 win season. On August 15th the Mariner's had a 1.5 game lead on the Angels and the A's were in third place. On August 20th there was a 3 way tie at the top. 

Seattle ended up finishing 3rd, 6 games back of the Halos with 93 wins. If they had a 2nd wildcard they would have tied for that spot with the Red Sox who got to clean up against the Devil Rays, Orioles, and Blue Jays. 

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

This is just flat out false. The Mariners led the division through mid August and were coming off a 116 win season. On August 15th the Mariner's had a 1.5 game lead on the Angels and the A's were in third place. On August 20th there was a 3 way tie at the top. 

Seattle ended up finishing 3rd, 6 games back of the Halos with 93 wins. If they had a 2nd wildcard they would have tied for that spot with the Red Sox who got to clean up against the Devil Rays, Orioles, and Blue Jays. 

not to mention that there were only four teams in the division that year.  which means that instead of getting 19 games vs. some other cupcake like Houston and Oakland got with Seattle last year, the Angels had those games spread out among the rest of the AL.  

@Second Base /Scotty is pretty much in tantrum mode at this point because the Angels didn't get the pitchers he wanted so he's going back in time and trying to change history in order to fuel his rant.  

I don't love our rotation for 2020 either, but after we didn't get Cole, there was no other player even remotely close to accomplishing the goal of having a top of the rotation starter for 2020 AND 2021 AND 2022 AND 2023 AND 2024 and so on.  

Getting Cole wasn't just about making us better this year.  It was about making us better for the next 5-6 years.  No other available pitcher satisfies that goal.  Paying Ryu 20m in each of his 35yo and 36yo seasons in 2022 and 2023 is just stupid when a huge chunk of our young guys will be coming into their own.  

There will always be the Ryu's and Keuchel's and Bumgarners and Gibsons and Pinedas and Eovaldis and Arrietas, and Corbins and Kikuchis and Happs and Zimmermanns and Samardzijas and Wei-Yin Chens and Mike Leakes and Ian Kennedys available in free agency.  But only once every few years is a Cole or Greinke or Price or Scherzer or Lester.  There are a lot of shitty contracts in that first list and far fewer in the second one.  

It's never been just about 2020 or even 2021 for Eppler thankfully.  He was never going to give up Marsh for two years of control or commit 80 mil to get two good years followed by two bad ones.  

Almost any baseball franchise can make their major league team good for two years at any point in their process.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not to mention that there were only four teams in the division that year.  which means that instead of getting 19 games vs. some other cupcake like Houston and Oakland got with Seattle last year, the Angels had those games spread out among the rest of the AL.  

@Second Base /Scotty is pretty much in tantrum mode at this point because the Angels didn't get the pitchers he wanted so he's going back in time and trying to change history in order to fuel his rant.  

I don't love our rotation for 2020 either, but after we didn't get Cole, there was no other player even remotely close to accomplishing the goal of having a top of the rotation starter for 2020 AND 2021 AND 2022 AND 2023 AND 2024 and so on.  

Getting Cole wasn't just about making us better this year.  It was about making us better for the next 5-6 years.  No other available pitcher satisfies that goal.  Paying Ryu 20m in each of his 35yo and 36yo seasons in 2022 and 2023 is just stupid when a huge chunk of our young guys will be coming into their own.  

There will always be the Ryu's and Keuchel's and Bumgarners and Gibsons and Pinedas and Eovaldis and Arrietas, and Corbins and Kikuchis and Happs and Zimmermanns and Samardzijas and Wei-Yin Chens and Mike Leakes and Ian Kennedys available in free agency.  But only once every few years is a Cole or Greinke or Price or Scherzer or Lester.  There are a lot of shitty contracts in that first list and far fewer in the second one.  

It's never been just about 2020 or even 2021 for Eppler thankfully.  He was never going to give up Marsh for two years of control or commit 80 mil to get two good years followed by two bad ones.  

Almost any baseball franchise can make their major league team good for two years at any point in their process.  

tantrum GIF