• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I should caveat that that it's not always about what they've done.  At some point they have to actually do it.  Maitan is a great example.  Lot's of raw talent and projection as a 16yo which can obviously be difficult to judge on guys who aren't anywhere close to being done growing.  

people saw the quick bat from both sides with big time raw power even as a 16yo.  Really strong arm and enough with the hands and feet defensively to seem like he could develop.  

It's also about how a guy is coached and developed and how hard they are willing to work.  Early on, there were indications that he wasn't a hard worker and wasn't very coachable.  

the reason someone might still rank him high is because of his tremendous raw power from both sides of the plate and his very strong arm with improving defense.  They might chalk up his k's and lack of contact to being over 2 years younger than his competition and being one of the youngest players in the league to start the year.  

In other words, even though the performance hasn't even remotely been there, the ceiling is still pretty high.  Some may value that more than others.  

Yeah I'd value him more because of his ceiling, although he's dropping in the rankings fast. 

If I voted I probably would have put him at 18. Like I said his upside keeps him in the top 20, but his performance keeps him well away from the top 10.

If he doesn't take a big leap this year, he's probably down to the high 20's. But obviously that depends on how the year goes overall for the system. He may very well be out of the top 30 by this time next year.

The only thing really going for him right now is his age. He turns 20 in 9 days. Still plenty of time for him to put it together. He ain't gonna break the majors at a young age, that's for sure. If he even ever does.

51 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah I'd value him more because of his ceiling, although he's dropping in the rankings fast. 

If I voted I probably would have put him at 18. Like I said his upside keeps him in the top 20, but his performance keeps him well away from the top 10.

If he doesn't take a big leap this year, he's probably down to the high 20's. But obviously that depends on how the year goes overall for the system. He may very well be out of the top 30 by this time next year.

The only thing really going for him right now is his age. He turns 20 in 9 days. Still plenty of time for him to put it together. He ain't gonna break the majors at a young age, that's for sure. If he even ever does.

it also depends on the type of leap we see.  If he gets promoted to high A and slightly improves then that could be considered a decent leap.  

If he has a solid year in the midwest league by cutting back his K's, increasing his walk rate, making more contact and hitting for more power then he probably deserves the stay where he's ranked overall ie the high teens or low 20's.  

guys in the 15-25 range get ranked there for different reasons.  A good statistical season for a high floor low ceiling player.  A college guy with a high floor and a little bit of upside who we haven't seen much of.  A strongly ranked international prospect who is all projection.  A guy who has put up solid numbers  at age appropriate level with a limited ceiling.  

1-5, for me, is a combo of upside and performance.  5-10 and maybe even to 15 is more than one vs. the other than those in the top 5.  Lately I have tended to make age for level and performance thereof a strong factor.  Partly because the Angels have been so aggressive and partly because in years past I have gotten a bit too excited by college guys performing well in rookie ball or a 25yo doing well in AA/AAA.  And I have completely disregarded a young guy in his teens.  I prefer to not only watch some video of them but to see them in real game action.  A lot of times it's a total leap though and you are basing a lot of your ranking on what others are saying and where they've been ranked by others who have seen him.  

@Angelsjunky is good about creating different tiers which I think is a lot more general but on par with how it should be done but people like to see a number or a letter grade next to a guys name.  Your third or fourth tier of players might go from 15-25 which means that group is virtually interchangeable regardless of whether one is ahead of another on the list.  At the end of the day, it becomes a bit arbitrary after a few guys.  

I think his ceiling isn't nearly as high as it was. His initial scouting was off, and then hype took over. It happens. 

That said, based upon what I've read and from guys here who know something about scouting and have seen him, he does still have potential to be a good major leaguer, it is just not as high a ceiling as was originally hoped, and due to his questinable work ethic, it is less likely that he reaches it. 

But he's ranked because he was a 19-year old who held his own in a league in which players are two years older than him, and because he has some bat skills, and because of the off chance that there was something to do those initial scouting reports that makes him still somewhat intriguing. 

Oh yeah, Lou, no one claims to be an "expert." We're just a bunch of baseball nerds who spend some of our time to provide you will reading material.

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

Held his own? He batted .214

I hate to see it when he slumps. 

I think it was more that he showed the occasional glimpse of being a lot more than that.  But overall, he really was terrible.  

most of his year was a slump frankly.  Or maybe not a slump as much as that he just hasn't figured it out.  Most guy who put up a performance like his just don't.  

Going back @Dochalo's mention of tiers, I think John Sickels' descriptions of his old grading system or of use:

Grade A prospects are the elite. In theory, they have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Theoretically, most Grade A prospects develop into stars or at least major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don’t intervene. Note that is a major “if” in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who may have a question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for.

A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Many end up as role players or bench guys. Some don’t make it at all.

Using these Sickels tiers as broad ranges, only Adell is a clear grade A range prospect. Marsh and Adams are in the B range. Sandoval, Rodriguez, Soriano, and Jackson are all probably borderline, but need to show more before being true B prospects.

What is interesting about the Angels system right now, is that there are a ton of C+ types who could be B range with strong years: Rodriguez, Soriano, Jackson, Jones, Ramirez, Kochanowicz, Knowles, maybe Pina, Deveaux, Yan, and Hernandez. Aquino and Maitan are also possibles, but less likely.

Paris and Vera have that potential, but are both probably at least a year or so to really be ranked.

147. Andy Pages, OF, LAA. Age: 19

My best peripheral find of 2019. I wrote-up Pages (unfortunately pronounced ‘Pah-hez’) in the Ramblings back in July, touting his feel to hit and evident power despite not physically overwhelming opposing pitching (a trait we often see in Rookie leagues that skews outlook perception). The 19-year-old finished his impressive stint in the Pioneer League with a jaw-dropping 165 wRC+, slashing .298/.398/.651 with 19 home runs in just 63 games and 279 plate appearances. The wRC+ was the highest mark for an 18-year-old in the Pioneer League in the last 15 years (h/t @CespedesBBQ). The swing includes a big leg kick, so the 18-year-old will likely fight swing-and-miss issues throughout his development (28.3 K% last summer). Luckily, some of those issues could be nullified by a walk rate that currently sits at 11.2% thru 115 career games. Also, don’t let the seven stolen bases in the Pioneer League skew your perception of the tools the outfielder brings to the table; he’s an average runner who has a 56.6% SB success rate in two seasons. The batted ball profile lends itself to pulled fly balls, so the .364 BABIP in 2019 should descend once Pages debuts in full season ball. That’ll negatively impact the slash numbers to at least some extent, but the outfielder finds the barrel frequently (the exit velocities are nutty) and should continue to hit for power regardless of level. That will be the carrying tool moving forward, especially when you consider the teenager is a work in progress defensively and, despite possessing a plus arm, may someday be best suited as a team’s primary designated hitter. While it’s obviously a bummer that Pages is no longer in the Dodgers’ almighty developmental system, it would be premature to penalize the teenager’s outlook too much (or, in this case, at all) without statistical evidence to support the alteration. Angels Rank: 5th

Angels ranked #9 in top farm systems for position players

milb.com/milb/news/minor-league-farm-system-rankings-position-players-10-1/c-312714824?tcid=tw_article_312714824,tw_article_312714824

9. Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles spent a lot of money to bolster its lineup this offseason. More reinforcements loom at every level, none more imminent than No. 6 overall prospect Jo Adell. His month at Triple-A to close 2019 wasn't flawless, but his 43 games at Double-A were a reminder of why the 20-year-old was the 10th pick in 2017 and has zoomed through the Minors. Adell hit .308/.390/.533 with a 10.4 percent walk rate, the best mark for the strikeout-prone outfielder at any level. Not far behind is Brandon Marsh (No. 79), whose .909 OPS ranked fifth in the Arizona Fall League after a strong campaign with Double-A Mobile. Marsh fits the mold of the elite athlete the Angels have sought from prospects in recent years. So, too, do outfielders D'Shawn Knowles and Jordyn Adams, Los Angeles' 2018 first-round pick. Drafted in the next round, middle infielder Jeremiah Jackson broke through in 2019 with a Pioneer League record-tying 23 home runs. Led by Adell, these prospects have high ceilings, pushing this batch of Halos into the top 10.