• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

30 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That dude has future Angel written all over him if he completes the year without re-injuring himself.

He probably has the greatest total spin rate across all four of his pitches in the Majors (or pretty close to it, Rich Hill has high spin rates on his repertoire too).

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this, but Chris Rodriguez might be our most important prospect.  He could be the most impactful player in this system over the next 3-5 years.  More than Adell, Marsh etc.  

Hmm...do you mean in terms of possible impact? I mean,  chances are Adell and Marsh have a higher WAR for the major league team over the next 3-5 years, but maybe you're saying that Crod has the potential--even if not super likely--to impact the team in the biggest way, if he fulfills his potential?

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hmm...do you mean in terms of possible impact? I mean,  chances are Adell and Marsh have a higher WAR for the major league team over the next 3-5 years, but maybe you're saying that Crod has the potential--even if not super likely--to impact the team in the biggest way, if he fulfills his potential?

correct.  A top of the rotation starter is this team's unicorn.  Ohtani will function as such when he's on the mound but he's never going to be the guy who throws 200 innings.  At least I don't see that happening.  Rodriguez likely won't as well due to his injury history, but something close would be such a game changer for this team.  

I also can't help but still be a bit annoyed about how things played out with Wilson.  What a waste of a pick.  I can live with someone like Adams failing but to take a very low upside guy and then trade him away for payroll relief still kinda burns my ass.  

The reason I bring it up is I'd rather still have Cozart and zero prospect of further improving the team right now with a high upside pitcher or even another position player to dream on.  I'm not usually someone who gets overly definitive about a guy who's 2-3 years away but it sure would be nice to have a solid arm in place of him right now.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

correct.  A top of the rotation starter is this team's unicorn.  Ohtani will function as such when he's on the mound but he's never going to be the guy who throws 200 innings.  At least I don't see that happening.  Rodriguez likely won't as well due to his injury history, but something close would be such a game changer for this team.  

I also can't help but still be a bit annoyed about how things played out with Wilson.  What a waste of a pick.  I can live with someone like Adams failing but to take a very low upside guy and then trade him away for payroll relief still kinda burns my ass.  

The reason I bring it up is I'd rather still have Cozart and zero prospect of further improving the team right now with a high upside pitcher or even another position player to dream on.  I'm not usually someone who gets overly definitive about a guy who's 2-3 years away but it sure would be nice to have a solid arm in place of him right now.  

I think the Wilson move was very simply a failed gamble:  Eppler thought he was getting Cole and needed the payroll. On the other hand, shedding Cozart's contract might have enabled Rendon, which we're going to be very happy about over the course of the year.

As for Crod, if he's healthy  I don't expect it to take him that long to reach the majors - probably some time next year. Again, if healthy. 

14 hours ago, Stradling said:

So as far as total value to the team what would be better for the team, for Rodriguez to fulfill his potential or for Maitan to live up to his hype?  You’d have to think Maitan would bring back an ace level pitcher in a trade.  

It depends on what you mean by "live up to the hype in this instance." If by live up to the hype you mean Miguel Cabrera at the plate but who can play a competent 3B for his whole career, then it has to be Maitan. Even 80% of MCabs bat with competent defense at 3B makes him a first ballot HOFer. I know this team seems like it needs pitching now, but things can change really quickly. Maybe Ohtani pitches like a Cy Young candidate and Canning pitches like a real number two starter. We have plenty of guys who can fill out the middle to the back of the rotation like Barria, Suarez, etc. If Simmons leaves then we really may be looking at needing another position player moving forward. I'm not saying this because I think it's the most likely scenario, but just that much stranger things have happened and a team's perceived strengths and weaknesses change from season to season all the time. Therefor I'll always take the best player instead of just the player that may fit a need more. Just to give you an idea, Miguel Cabrera put up 70 WAR in his career. He was a great player, but I don't think anyone would say he is the best player of all time, even at his peak. Clayton Kershaw has put up 64 WAR and serious people will make an argument that Kershaw's peak was among the best there ever was.

Yea I don’t even care as much about his defense, if he can hit and play a passable defense at 1st and be a regular DH that would be amazing. When I posted live up to the hype I was referring to the Miguel Cabrera lite comparison.  I think someone on here (when we first acquired him) said his floor was peak Pablo Sandoval.   That’s a helluva useful player. Obviously he hasn’t taken the steps forward to be considered either of these guys.  If he makes a break through he’d be another very solid piece to get to where we want to be. 

I think having both situations happen would be fantastic. 

But I'm with Doc on this one, especially since we're set at 3rd for the next 7 years. Maitan becoming "Cabrera-lite" essentially means he's a 1B/DH. That would be amazing to have in 2 years, but valuable 1B/DH guys are a dime a dozen. Obviously a hitter like Cabrera, even a lighter version (Goldschmidt comes to mind) would be a game changer. 

I just see a legit Ace starter to be an extremely rare commodity. I mean how many of those guys can you say there are in the MLB right now? Maybe ten? Fewer?

Both guys reaching there potential would be ideal.

But between them, i would pick Crod. He's can fill a position of need for us, either late next season or 2021. Chris has top of the rotation stuff in him, with 4 pitches that range from above average to plus plus. I also think he alteast has above average Command. He looked like he was about to breakout last year before.

I would place Crod, Soriano, and Koch in the same tier.  I also think that if Soriano can improve his command, he'll be in Anaheim next season. either in a Bp role or as a starter depending on his improved command. 

We need to scrub the Miggy comps out of our collective brains. It just isn't  likely--at all--at this point, and not fair to Maitan. Those comps were made three or four years ago, when Maitan was a very promising 15-16 year old and probably based on bad scouting.

The only reason we rank him so highly on our list is because of his name. If we erase all memory and just look at what's on the field, he's a person of interest, but not much more than a fringe prospect.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

We need to scrub the Miggy comps out of our collective brains. It just isn't  likely--at all--at this point, and not fair to Maitan. Those comps were made three or four years ago, when Maitan was a very promising 15-16 year old and probably based on bad scouting.

The only reason we rank him so highly on our list is because of his name. If we erase all memory and just look at what's on the field, he's a person of interest, but not much more than a fringe prospect.

not much has come together for him on the stat sheet.  At this point it doesn't seem likely that it will.  He's a big strong kid who, again, played a level up for his age last year and did so while making a fairly radical swing change and experimenting with his correct position.  Behind the scenes, the swing change made him look more comfortable and natural at the plate but the results still weren't there.  And he did make strides defensively.  Particularly at 3b where he's got the arm for and he could be average there.  

At the end of the day though, he's just not a good hitter.  The tools are there but there's just not enough contact.  Kind of like a version of Nonie Williams where there's still a little bit of hope because of his age and level.  

I am very curious to see where they start him in 2020.  I would like to see him stay in A ball for a confidence building year where he's only slightly younger than his competition.  You can always promote him early if there's an indication of him turning a corner.  

I would also like to note that I watched probably 20+ games of his last year and there's more of a sense of urgency in his play then there was in previous years.  Not sure how that description comes across other that it seemed like he was trying harder last year.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not much has come together for him on the stat sheet.  At this point it doesn't seem likely that it will.  He's a big strong kid who, again, played a level up for his age last year and did so while making a fairly radical swing change and experimenting with his correct position.  Behind the scenes, the swing change made him look more comfortable and natural at the plate but the results still weren't there.  And he did make strides defensively.  Particularly at 3b where he's got the arm for and he could be average there.  

At the end of the day though, he's just not a good hitter.  The tools are there but there's just not enough contact.  Kind of like a version of Nonie Williams where there's still a little bit of hope because of his age and level.  

I am very curious to see where they start him in 2020.  I would like to see him stay in A ball for a confidence building year where he's only slightly younger than his competition.  You can always promote him early if there's an indication of him turning a corner.  

I would also like to note that I watched probably 20+ games of his last year and there's more of a sense of urgency in his play then there was in previous years.  Not sure how that description comes across other that it seemed like he was trying harder last year.  

Good take, Doc. I've also thought of Nonie in relation to Maitan, although to be fair to Maitan, he was two years younger and hitting better in A than Nonie did. But the similarity  is that we've been watching and hoping with Nonie, and after four years he's essentially a non-prospect.

Maitan has time, but 2020 will be huge for him. I agree that he should repeat A ball.  My  guess is that he has a better year, but nothing to get excited about.