• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good take, Doc. I've also thought of Nonie in relation to Maitan, although to be fair to Maitan, he was two years younger and hitting better in A than Nonie did. But the similarity  is that we've been watching and hoping with Nonie, and after four years he's essentially a non-prospect.

Maitan has time, but 2020 will be huge for him. I agree that he should repeat A ball.  My  guess is that he has a better year, but nothing to get excited about.

I think at this point it's pretty rare for a guy to become a much better hitter and make way more contact than they have in the past.  Which is one of the primary indicators of future success and something that tends to translate.  When you hit .214 in A ball with 164 strikeouts, it's pretty rare that you suddenly find bat to ball way more often.  

Unless, of course, you are way over-matched due to your age relative to competition.  Which is why there's still an inkling of home for Maitan.  

For gits and shiggles, here is how the contributors to the Top 30 list ranked Maitan:

11 Dave Saltzer

12 Second Base

18 Angelsjunky, ettin

20 Dochalo, Inside Pitch, rafibomb

26 Chuck

So that's two people who still have significant--but presumably cautious--hope, five people who see him as a lottery pick, and one who has almost given up all hope. Seems a good range of views.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

If he's our 11th best prospect, we're in trouble. 

He's not. AW has him at 16 which I agree with. The upside keeps him in the top 20 but the performance keeps him well out of the top 10. I suppose he's 15th now with Wilson gone but still.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

get paid a lot of money as a minor.  

and it's not about what they've done but what they could do.  There's a bunch of guys who haven't done jack yet that get ranked.  

Ok, what do you guys think he's going to do?

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

get paid a lot of money as a minor.  

and it's not about what they've done but what they could do.  There's a bunch of guys who haven't done jack yet that get ranked.  

I don't really agree with that at all. But then again you know far more than I do when it comes to this stuff so you're probably right.

9 hours ago, Lou said:

Not the same 

I know.  The reality is when an international player gets big time money to sign, they get a longer leash and they get a year or two of adjusting to a new culture.  He is still young enough to be a stud however I doubt that comes to fruition.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I know.  The reality is when an international player gets big time money to sign, they get a longer leash and they get a year or two of adjusting to a new culture.  He is still young enough to be a stud however I doubt that comes to fruition.  

I get that, but I'm not talking about how long of a leash he should get, I'm wondering why some of our experts have him ranked so high. 

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't really agree with that at all. But then again you know far more than I do when it comes to this stuff so you're probably right.

I should caveat that that it's not always about what they've done.  At some point they have to actually do it.  Maitan is a great example.  Lot's of raw talent and projection as a 16yo which can obviously be difficult to judge on guys who aren't anywhere close to being done growing.  

people saw the quick bat from both sides with big time raw power even as a 16yo.  Really strong arm and enough with the hands and feet defensively to seem like he could develop.  

It's also about how a guy is coached and developed and how hard they are willing to work.  Early on, there were indications that he wasn't a hard worker and wasn't very coachable.  

the reason someone might still rank him high is because of his tremendous raw power from both sides of the plate and his very strong arm with improving defense.  They might chalk up his k's and lack of contact to being over 2 years younger than his competition and being one of the youngest players in the league to start the year.  

In other words, even though the performance hasn't even remotely been there, the ceiling is still pretty high.  Some may value that more than others.