• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:40 PM, RBM said:

Your scenario doesn’t allow 2021 lineups with both Marsh and Upton.

I think we would be better off as a team in 2021 with Upton in LF and Marsh at 1B everyday and with Pujols at DH the 2 games per week that Ohtani doesn’t DH.

In 2022, Pujols is gone and Upton is in his last contract year so transition him to DH and move Marsh to LF.

It would be like Erstad's first full season in 1997 when he played 1B exclusively because we had already had Edmonds, Anderson and Salmon in the OF. 

This, except that Marsh's strong arm dictates that he plays RF by 2022.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Was the Natural in the 90's? And no I didn't mean 90's only, which is why I included Moneyball. I was predominantly focusing on baseball movies within my own lifetime.

Just looked it up, Natural came out before I was born.

Didnt realize you were that young.  Natural came out in 1984.  I was in college

10 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Which prospect rankings are generally considered better and which worse? Obviously all are imperfect and will have flaws, but generally speaking. Do any have a better or worse track record or methodology?

They have different ideologies -- FG and BBP used to be much more data driven, as far as putting a much greater emphasis on the actual production regardless of how toolsy the guys were -- they have in recent years moved more towards the physical tools aspect of it all.   

For as long as they have been doing it, BBA seems to have the biggest misses.   They tend to buy into the traditional scouting stuff more than anyone else so, it's not really a surprise as they tend to take the biggest risks. .   That's not a criticism, it's just really hard to look at raw tools and then project them forward.  I've always wondered if in some cases it wasn't so much that they were wrong as it is that some teams just flat out failed to develop the players.  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They have different ideologies -- FG and BBP used to be much more data driven, as far as putting a much greater emphasis on the actual production regardless of how toolsy the guys were -- they have in recent years moved more towards the physical tools aspect of it all.   

For as long as they have been doing it, BBA seems to have the biggest misses.   They tend to buy into the traditional scouting stuff more than anyone else so, it's not really a surprise as they tend to take the biggest risks. .   That's not a criticism, it's just really hard to look at raw tools and then project them forward.  I've always wondered if in some cases it wasn't so much that they were wrong as it is that some teams just flat out failed to develop the players.  

How does Keith Law’s on ESPN The Athletic compare? I see his referenced a good bit online. 

17 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

How does Keith Law’s on ESPN The Athletic compare? I see his referenced a good bit online. 

He came out of BBP and used to be very much titled toward analytics.  Not sure what went on during his time with the Jays but he came out of that a much more well rounded analyst.  He's got his biases but they all do, imo he's become a solid voice.  The best of the lot IMO was Kevin Goldstein, also a part of the BBP crew... He was hired by Luhnow, in Houston and has been pretty heavily involved in their operations (he was mentioned in the cheating report), but the dude was really good at balancing the analytics and tools.   Btw, the best guy out there analytics wise was Tony Blengino.  He was way way ahead of the curve.  He may have hurt his chances at another MLB guy by publicly outing Jack Z in Seattle as a fraud...which is a shame.  His work with John Benson on the old Future Stars annuals was really really impressive.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

With all of this excitement on Arol Vera and in combination with Kyren Paris, this makes me believe even more strongly that we will see an extension for Simmons this off-season to bridge the gap to these young prospects. Simmons-Fletcher duo for the next handful of years and then potentially Vera and Paris taking over for the two of them.

17 hours ago, ettin said:

With all of this excitement on Arol Vera and in combination with Kyren Paris, this makes me believe even more strongly that we will see an extension for Simmons this off-season to bridge the gap to these young prospects. Simmons-Fletcher duo for the next handful of years and then potentially Vera and Paris taking over for the two of them.

Say a 4 year/$70 million deal through 2024?

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Say a 4 year/$70 million deal through 2024?

Somewhere in that ballpark I think. 4-5 years (maybe the 5th year is a team option) at $60M-$80M range seems like the target range. Could be a little more or a little less. The absolute floor is the 3-year, $38M that Cozart signed and Simmons is absolutely a better defender and a slightly better and more consistent hitter so you have to think that we are starting at about $15M AAV, possibly up to $17M-$18M?

Personally, I could see a 4-year, $68M base deal with a team option for an additional $12M ($2M buy-out) for a 5-year, $80M ($16M AAV, $70M guaranteed). That sounds about right, all things considered. Pretty good chance Simmons remains the best defensive shortstop over that entire time period too (age 30-34 range).

I can’t see Simmons signing anything less than a 3 year deal, and I’d be shocked if he signed that. 3 and an option, maybe, but that doesn’t really benefit him. I think he probably wants five, the Angels push for four years. He asks for 15-20aav, the Angels aim for 10-12. 

If he signs, it probably ends up around 4yr, 60m, or 5yr, 65m. 

27 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I can’t see Simmons signing anything less than a 3 year deal, and I’d be shocked if he signed that. 3 and an option, maybe, but that doesn’t really benefit him. I think he probably wants five, the Angels push for four years. He asks for 15-20aav, the Angels aim for 10-12. 

If he signs, it probably ends up around 4yr, 60m, or 5yr, 65m

Cozart, heading into his age 32 season, signed a 3-year, $38M (basically $13M AAV). Simmons is way better than Zack and he is heading into his age 30 season. At the minimum it is a 4-year deal, possibly 5-6 years and it just does not seem logical that he would take the same AAV as Cozart when he is clearly a superior player on both defense and offense, in my opinion. The floor has to be somewhere right around a 4-year, $60M deal, as you mentioned, with the likelihood that it is more as suggested above.

58 minutes ago, ettin said:

Cozart, heading into his age 32 season, signed a 3-year, $38M (basically $13M AAV). Simmons is way better than Zack and he is heading into his age 30 season. At the minimum it is a 4-year deal, possibly 5-6 years and it just does not seem logical that he would take the same AAV as Cozart when he is clearly a superior player on both defense and offense, in my opinion. The floor has to be somewhere right around a 4-year, $60M deal, as you mentioned, with the likelihood that it is more as suggested above.

I don’t entirely disagree, but it’s worth noting that Cozart had just finished a 5 win season that artificially inflated his value - and teams still weren’t knocking down the door to sign him. He had to settle for a position shift to 2B or 3B. 

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don’t entirely disagree, but it’s worth noting that Cozart had just finished a 5 win season that artificially inflated his value - and teams still weren’t knocking down the door to sign him. He had to settle for a position shift to 2B or 3B. 

Actually the position shift was known when he signed which actually might make the Simmons case stronger. We will see what happens.

52 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this, but Chris Rodriguez might be our most important prospect.  He could be the most impactful player in this system over the next 3-5 years.  More than Adell, Marsh etc.  

This is where I have been since the reports started coming in that he was impressing people in AZ.

39 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So as far as total value to the team what would be better for the team, for Rodriguez to fulfill his potential or for Maitan to live up to his hype?  You’d have to think Maitan would bring back an ace level pitcher in a trade.  

Rodriguez.   Because four above average pitch guys who can work in the mid 90s are unicorns.

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So as far as total value to the team what would be better for the team, for Rodriguez to fulfill his potential or for Maitan to live up to his hype?  You’d have to think Maitan would bring back an ace level pitcher in a trade.  

For Chris Rodriguez, Luiz Gohara, and Jack Kochaniwicz to take big steps forward, that would be like a wet dream.