• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Make a move for David Price?

Chuck

I’m sure there’s a way to deal for Price that would be acceptable, but doubt Boston would go there yet.  As some one earlier suggested, maybe in February.  I do think we need to gamble on upside and there’s some still there for Price, at least compared to his recent past. If the Angels were in the playoffs it would be nice if Price was the #3 SP.

Price is being pretty severely underrated by AW. But that's understandable, we REALLY don't like the Dodgers, Yankees or Red Sox.

Price has been an ace for the majority of his career, his stuff hasn't diminished much at all. His ERA and FIP have remained quite strong, he's still missing a ton of bats and limiting the walks. But he's been injured two of the past three years.

I would ABSOLUTELY trade for David Price, and would be reasonably confident that if he's healthy, he'd pitch like a solid #2 or 3 starter. The problem is, Eppler said teams are asking too much in trades, and Price is owed 96 million over the next three years. If the played for a small market team, I think this would motivate them into selling and you could get him for a reasonable price. 

But the Red Sox are obviously a large market team. Would they like to drop under the luxury tax? Of course. But they have more than enough money to hold onto Price, and only trade him if another team were willing to take on his entire contract. That's a bad idea.

But I really do like Price, and would be more than willing to trade Rengifo and Barria, if his price tag could be reduced down to the 3 years, 50 million range.

Geez. The way people are reacting you would think Price pitched like Blanton last year. Price is not that bad. I would take him if the Sox paid some salary. His underlying numbers are pretty decent. Yea he isn’t the same pitcher of before but at least he is more durable than Ryu and could still give you a sub 4 ERA. Obviously you don’t do it if you have to take all of his salary, but why the huge bitching if the Sox took on half or something along those lines.That’s less than what we would be paying Keuchel for three to four years and I think Keuchel is a worse pitcher tbh. Price is a free agent in 2022. I don’t see the drama. Other than what we would have to pay... which is obviously the issue, but as a pitcher, I think he’s really solid still.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They aren't going to add four pitchers.

They should lol by May Heaney will be out with Elbow tendinitis, Ohtani is going to be going through a dead arm period, Canning is going to have Elbow discomfort, and Bundy is going to need a rehab assignment from a mysterious injury after getting lit up in his first 3 or 4 starts because Angels. 

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

They should lol by May Heaney will be out with Elbow tendinitis, Ohtani is going to be going through a dead arm period, Canning is going to have Elbow discomfort, and Bundy is going to need a rehab assignment from a mysterious injury after getting lit up in his first 3 or 4 starts because Angels. 

And still.....  They're not gonna sign four pitchers.     Btw, adding Price and Ryu is adding two guys who likewise could be out with an injury by May.

Should they sign 6 pitchers then?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Projections for David Price

Year Tm Age W L W-L% ERA SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W Rel
2020 Proj. 34 9 6 .600 4.15 1 130.0 124 65 60 19 42 1 137 6 1 3 548 1.277 8.6 1.3 2.9 9.5 3.26 72%

Doesn't look like $32M worth of production to me.

If Boston pays down the contract and wants a minimal prospect, I would do it...I would even consider if if we lose out on Ryu to be honest. Price was solid the first half of last year right, before injuries? If we sign Ryu (which at this point I'm doubting); might as well hope we can catch lighting in a bottle twice and pray they're both healthy for the majority of the season. 

I don't know why I'm not sold on some of these "change of scenario" type pitchers like Gray...I would almost rather make an impact trade for a front of the rotation type pitcher with years of control that would impact our farm a little. 

My worry is that the more Tier 1/2 FA Pitchers go off the market, the more desperate the Angels look to the Sawks, and the less likely they would pay down his contract for us to take him off their hands.

Would I like to have him? Yeah, he would be the "Ace" of the staff technically

Do I want to trade a decent prospect or pay most of his contract to take him on? Not really, but it's not my money.

If we get Ryu for 3 years at a friendly price I'll consider it a win, and if we get Price cheap without having to give up a Blue Chip I'll consider that a win as well.

Two ways i’d explore this idea..

1: Angels don’t trade Marsh In a deal for a Price.
2: Boston keeps a portion of the salary. 

Though, the more money Boston keeps, the higher the asking price for a good prospect will be. 

if they consider retaining $15M and still don’t want Marsh then I’d go for it. If not then no thanks