• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Steps After Rendon?

Warfarin

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The infield alignment: Rendon at 3B, Simmons at short, Fletcher will be at 2B and Pujols at 1B with La Stella at UT.

This means....

1. Matt Thaiss and Luis Rengifo are expendable. Maybe one sticks around but that's a long shot from where we are standing. I think we can expect one or both to be traded soon. 

2. The Angels have lots of young pitching, and I think Eppler will hold onto Canning, Sandoval and Suarez, to see what Calloway can make of them. But Barria doesn't really fit what Eppler targets in others, and I think he's going to deal him away too.

3. The Angels are short on LHB... Again. So I don't think they are going to trade Marsh. I think it will be Jordyn Adams. 

4. We don't know for sure what they can spend, but after the Cozart trade, it was looking like it would be 55-60 million on next year alone. Rendon's contact is slightly backloaded, so I figure he's probably going to make 25 this next year, which opens up 35-40 to spend.

5. That infield defense is built for ground balls. So.... Without further adu, here is the plan for the remainder of the Angels off-season.

--------

A. Angels trade Luis Rengifo and Jordyn Adams to Cleveland for Corey Kluber.

B. Angels sign Hyun Jin Ryu for four years, 90 million. 

C. Angels trade Jaime Barria to San Diego in return for Austin Hedges. 

------

The rotation lines up as Kluber, Ryu, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy and Canning.  You know the rest.

Rengifo and Adams for Kluber ... really? Adams is a good start but Rengifo isn’t going to cut it imo. I hope the Indians are serious about trading Kluber. If so, there will be plenty of teams interested in Kluber. 

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Rengifo and Adams for Kluber ... really? Adams is a good start but Rengifo isn’t going to cut it imo. I hope the Indians are serious about trading Kluber. If so, there will be plenty of teams interested in Kluber. 

Coming off injury and down performance, 33 years old and making 18 million a year for two years on a team that's trying to cut payroll and reload. They need an OF and 2B long term. 

That's about as perfect a match as you're going to find.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Coming off injury and down performance, 33 years old and making 18 million a year for two years on a team that's trying to cut payroll and reload. They need an OF and 2B long term. 

That's about as perfect a match as you're going to find.

Adams is still about 2-3 years away and Rengifo is nothing special. I would be ecstatic if that were to happen. 

🤞 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Next step: Run the train on anyone doubting Lord Eppler.

I get the criticism hes caught here (im fine with him, but some of it deserved).

But between him and arte, who gets equal flack, weve locked trout up for life, signed ohtani (thr coolest player on earth), now added rendon to give trout a bonafide bash brother, AND drafted adell and marsh in roughly 3 years...

Yeah, cozart. Yeah, harvey, etc. But hes added dudes will be talking about in a good way 20 years from now, a lot more than the guys we'll forget 20 months later.

Plus robles' intro song...

53 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2851196-each-mlb-teams-player-most-likely-to-be-traded-in-2019-20-offseason#slide6

Name that I don't see anyone mention, very last on the list in the link above.  Samardzija.  One year $19.5 million left.  Will be 35.  Had a down year in 2018.  But a 1.108 WHIP and 3.52 ERA last season.  181 IP.  Sounds like the Giants want to shed salary more than anything so might not cost us much.  

Was he one of the prospective  PTBNL? An increase of 6.9M vs Cozarts deal? If other deals like Rendon fell into place?

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Next step: Run the train on anyone doubting Lord Eppler.

he's got a decent amount to do still and in my opinion needs to do it without completely draining the farm and mortgaging the near future.  If he turns around and trades someone like Marsh for a guy with two years of control we've basically done what the Phils did last year with Realmuto.  

He wobbled out of the gate and caught up to the pack.  If he suddenly bursts out in front prior to the last turn, he better be able to sustain it an not get swallowed up.  

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I get the criticism hes caught here (im fine with him, but some of it deserved).

But between him and arte, who gets equal flack, weve locked trout up for life, signed ohtani (thr coolest player on earth), now added rendon to give trout a bonafide bash brother, AND drafted adell and marsh in roughly 3 years...

Yeah, cozart. Yeah, harvey, etc. But hes added dudes will be talking about in a good way 20 years from now, a lot more than the guys we'll forget 20 months later.

Plus robles' intro song...

harvey's not even a bad signing. one year deal that didn't work out. those are the kind of deals they should have been doing more of. if they perform well, and you're out of it, then you can dump him off to a playoff team for a nice prospect.

harvey had the high ceiling potential to do well. cahill was the shit show because his ceiling was very low.

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he's got a decent amount to do still and in my opinion needs to do it without completely draining the farm and mortgaging the near future.  If he turns around and trades someone like Marsh for a guy with two years of control we've basically done what the Phils did last year with Realmuto.  

He wobbled out of the gate and caught up to the pack.  If he suddenly bursts out in front prior to the last turn, he better be able to sustain it an not get swallowed up.  

Yes, agreed. I mainly wanted an excuse to use the phrase "run the train" and also "Lord Eppler."

I'm cautiously optimistic that he won't trade Marsh. Or at least hopeful. The Rendon signing has a secondary benefit of freeing up one of the very tradeable assets of Fletcher or Rengifo, so I expect one of those guys to be central in any trade. There really is no need to trade Marsh.

Someone mentioned a Pederson for Upton swap in another thread.  That's an interesting idea that the Dogs would never go for but would actually make some sense considering Marsh's progression.  Would be great to clear 23m and 28m from 2021, 2022 payroll plus and extra 10m this year.  If Upton isn't coming off a down year then it's a bit more viable.  

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, agreed. I mainly wanted an excuse to use the phrase "run the train" and also "Lord Eppler."

I'm cautiously optimistic that he won't trade Marsh. Or at least hopeful. The Rendon signing has a secondary benefit of freeing up one of the very tradeable assets of Fletcher or Rengifo, so I expect one of those guys to be central in any trade. There really is no need to trade Marsh.

@Dochalo I'm cautiously optimistic. If he pulls off Kluber without giving up Canning, Fletcher, or Marsh then he's on his way back to being welcome at my dinner table. And it's also largely dependent on who the other starting pitcher is here acquires. 

Bumgarner, and I'd be pretty disappointed. Ryu.... I'd be intrigued.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

@Dochalo I'm cautiously optimistic. If he pulls off Kluber without giving up Canning, Fletcher, or Marsh then he's on his way back to being welcome at my dinner table. And it's also largely dependent on who the other starting pitcher is here acquires. 

I agree, but why do you assume he's still going to acquire two more pitchers? 

9 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I love the Rendon signing but I hate the idea of trading either of those two even though It makes a ton of sense now.  But is either of them enough to headline the type of deal that gets us what we need?  I sure hope so but it still likely requires prospects.  I'd even to be willing to have him give up a bit more and get a pitcher that's controlled for more than two years with the right upside.  

I'd also prefer they keep Adams as well.  I just think he's gonna have a monster 2020 and raise his stock in a huge way.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I love the Rendon signing but I hate the idea of trading either of those two even though It makes a ton of sense now.  But is either of them enough to headline the type of deal that gets us what we need?  I sure hope so but it still likely requires prospects.  I'd even to be willing to have him give up a bit more and get a pitcher that's controlled for more than two years with the right upside.  

I'd also prefer they keep Adams as well.  I just think he's gonna have a monster 2020 and raise his stock in a huge way.  

Same here. I don't want to trade Marsh or Adams. But a trade of one of them is coming.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Yeah, I don't think Adams will be traded - not sure why Scotty keeps mentioning him. He's got a good chance of being an elite prospect a year from now, so its really the wrong time to trade him. Even if the Angels happily make a long-term Marsh-Trout-Adell sandwich, you wait to trade Adams for a year or two.

I hear you about Rengifo and Fletcher, and for some reason would prefer they traded Fletcher than Rengifo, but that might simply be because "Rengifo" is a cooler name. But I also think he has sneaky upside.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Agree as long as Ryu is at 3 years, but in this market, he's gonna get 4 and Mad Bum 5.  Both of who at that length of contract I view as the quintessential guys you want to stay away from in the FA market.  That's when that third arm should have been a value play imo because if you do acquire Kluber and someone Ryu, you are definitely putting a lot of your eggs into that 2-3 year basket and adding the dead money back you lose after Albert retires.  

If he plays it right here, he can maintain some financial flexibility while still creating a very very good team for the next several years.  Cole was more of a one stop shop in that regard even though the money was higher but really not so much on the front end when you do the math.  

I also really friggin hope we do a better job with our pick this year than wasting it to clear 12m in salary.  

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I agree, but why do you assume he's still going to acquire two more pitchers? 

My gut is that he probably doesn't actually.  It'll be a trade for a pitcher or a FA signing, a cheap catcher and then off to spring.  Still think we're an arm or two short in the pen as well but he's got some time for that.  

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I don't think Adams will be traded - not sure why Scotty keeps mentioning him. He's got a good chance of being an elite prospect a year from now, so its really the wrong time to trade him. Even if the Angels happily make a long-term Marsh-Trout-Adell sandwich, you wait to trade Adams for a year or two.

I hear you about Rengifo and Fletcher, and for some reason would prefer they traded Fletcher than Rengifo, but that might simply be because "Rengifo" is a cooler name. But I also think he has sneaky upside.

For me, Marsh has a rapport with Adell that the team has pushed, and he's left handed playing for an organization short on those. So he won't be traded. 

Fletcher is exactly what Eppler wants in a player. Great defender, good contact. Inexpensive, and cool and collected.

Rengifo.... Let's be honest, Eppler got lucky on him. Neither the Angels not the Rays knew what Rengifo would develop into, or how quickly it would happen. I think he's traded and will have certainly several a purpose. Taking a PTBNL and theming then into a key piece for Kluber.

That really just leaves Adams. The best athlete in the system. That or Cleveland reverses course and grabs Jeremiah Jackson. Adams is pretty much my guy right now. But I think he's going to get dealt before going beast mode next year.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

My gut is that he probably doesn't actually.  It'll be a trade for a pitcher or a FA signing, a cheap catcher and then off to spring.  Still think we're an arm or two short in the pen as well but he's got some time for that.  

Yeah, I think it is a pitcher--probably Kluber, but maybe Keuchel--and a catcher, and then minor tweaks: clean peanuts, maybe a reliever or two.

If he gets out-bid on Kluber, he might just spend on Keuchel or Ryu and then use prospects to get a better catcher. But I'm thinking Kluber is most likely.

Edited by Angelsjunky