• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Steps After Rendon?

Warfarin

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

For me, Marsh has a rapport with Adell that the team has pushed, and he's left handed playing for an organization short on those. So he won't be traded. 

Fletcher is exactly what Eppler wants in a player. Great defender, good contact. Inexpensive, and cool and collected.

Rengifo.... Let's be honest, Eppler got lucky on him. Neither the Angels not the Rays knew what Rengifo would develop into, or how quickly it would happen. I think he's traded and will have certainly several a purpose. Taking a PTBNL and theming then into a key piece for Kluber.

That really just leaves Adams. The best athlete in the system. That or Cleveland reverses course and grabs Jeremiah Jackson. Adams is pretty much my guy right now. But I think he's going to get dealt before going beast mode next year.

Yeah, I hope you're wrong on Adams. I was slow to warm to him because I get leery about "all tools, no skills" prospects, but I've seen enough to really like him. I think it is more likely that it is someone like Deveaux or Knowles added in to spice the deal.

So I think it is a three player trade:

One of Fletcher, Rengifo, Sandoval, Suarez, maybe Jahmai Jones

One of Deveaux, Knowles (or similar: good upside, but a few years away)

A lesser pitching prospect, like Madero or Beasley, or a fringe guy like Ward or Walsh

I don't think it will be Marsh or Adams.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I think it is a pitcher--probably Kluber, but maybe Keuchel--and a catcher, and then minor tweaks: clean peanuts, maybe a reliever or two.

If he gets out-bid on Kluber, he might just spend on Keuchel or Ryu and then use prospects to get a better catcher. But I'm thinking Kluber is most likely.

I wasn't a huge fan of Keuchel last year because of the pic attached and committing to a 4-5 yr deal on top of that.  I'm still not a huge fan but he does make some sense at 2-3 years for 15m per or so.  

I think if I were Eppler at this point, I go get at least one solid pitcher and a catcher and then wait to see who's still around in about a month.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Keuchel last year because of the pic attached and committing to a 4-5 yr deal on top of that.  I'm still not a huge fan but he does make some sense at 2-3 years for 15m per or so.  

I think if I were Eppler at this point, I go get at least one solid pitcher and a catcher and then wait to see who's still around in about a month.  

I kind of like the idea of being able to call him "Kegels" when he fucks up.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well there you go. Kind of bummed, as I like all of those guys - and I thought Sandoval could prove particularly useful. But I think it is worth it. Probably.

Never mind. I think he meant the players being discussed include. His tweet said it was.... So maybe he's mistaken. Just quoting Hoynes from Cleveland.

59 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Id prefer keuchel, too, just because, like you said, we more or less know what to expect. He is in no way a front rotation guy anymore, nor "the answer". But I think he'll be decent enough, keep us in games most starts, for not crazy money.

10 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Was he one of the prospective  PTBNL? An increase of 6.9M vs Cozarts deal? If other deals like Rendon fell into place?

Now my conspiracy theory spidey senses are going wild.  What if indeed, Samardzija is indeed the PTBN.  It actually makes the trade make more sense.  Cozart and Wilson for Samardzija and Cash.  Money wise, 1 year of Cozart at $12.667 for 1 year of Sam at $19.5 million.  First round pick Wilson makes up the talent difference.  A little bit of cash makes up the salary difference.  But Eppler doesn't want it announced, because he wants to make a trade or a signing of another SP first.  Again, if it looks like the team is one piece away, a GM could up their asking price because they are providing the final piece.  Same with a free agent.  But if it looks like more work still needs to be done, then maybe GM's are more willing to make that trade of a SP.  Maybe there is some gamemanship here by Eppler.  

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

Now my conspiracy theory spidey senses are going wild.  What if indeed, Samardzija is indeed the PTBN.  It actually makes the trade make more sense.  Cozart and Wilson for Samardzija and Cash.  Money wise, 1 year of Cozart at $12.667 for 1 year of Sam at $19.5 million.  First round pick Wilson makes up the talent difference.  A little bit of cash makes up the salary difference.  But Eppler doesn't want it announced, because he wants to make a trade or a signing of another SP first.  Again, if it looks like the team is one piece away, a GM could up their asking price because they are providing the final piece.  Same with a free agent.  But if it looks like more work still needs to be done, then maybe GM's are more willing to make that trade of a SP.  Maybe there is some gamemanship here by Eppler.  

Problem with that is if there is such thing as the price being higher for a team because they appear to be desperate.  

The biggest issue the Angels have had under Arte is going...almost all the way. After spending all that cash on Pujols and Wilson...trying to save a few bucks on the bullpen and having it bite the team in the ass...trying to use lottery tickets and band aids on the rotation the last few years. The team has spent over half a billion dollars on Rendon and Trout...they have a top 5 offense. Now's not the time to go cheap. Open up the wallet and deal a few youngsters and bring in two guys who can sit at the top of the rotation. Hell, the 2002 team didn't have an ace, but it had solid starters who kept the team in the game, a productive offense and a lock down bullpen.

Don't go cheap...spent the extra 20/30 million and fill the obvious gaps in the rotation.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Problem with that is if there is such thing as the price being higher for a team because they appear to be desperate.  

Could be.  But it would be pretty spectacular if, with all the holes the Angels have, Eppler pulls a rabbit out of the hat and after making a SP trade/signing.  Announces the PTBNL, pulls his dick out and says suck on this Cole.  

15 minutes ago, red321 said:

The other problem with that is how many times is the PTBNL an actual major league roster player

Actually, looking at his contract.  He does have a limited no trade protection.  Could be we are on that list, and they are trying to get approval.  And in his case, maybe he's waiting to see what we do before he says yes.  Again, just my conspiracy theory, ie fun, I'm having.  And BTW.  Looking at his numbers.  Man, he'd be a great addition.  Even if it's for a year.

Very possible the PTBNL is him.  Could be that it is Epplers option to make it him if he chooses based on what other deal or deals he can make.  If he can trade for two pitchers maybe he chooses to have it not be shark.  Or if he think after a bunch of negotiations that having shark be one of the acquisitions makes the most sense then he goes that route.

I we all were hoping for Cole and like Wheeler but you gotta have plan B and C.

Rendon, Kluber, Samardzija, and keeping Adell is not something I could even begin to complain about.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

I think this is extremely unlikely GB and the reason for that is Cozart's surplus value was actually a deep negative even with his expected production (very little) for 2020. That deep negative value actually turned him from a $12.7M expense into more like a $20M expense. Wil Wilson, as a fresh 1st rounder, had about $20M in value, so in my mind a PTBNL is likely a lower-level type prospect with minimal value, basically a lottery ticket flyer.