• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Source: Stephen Strasburg, Angels had face-to-face meeting

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not sure any owner wants to win as much as he does. This team has pulled off "amazing" before. GMJ, then they doubled down with Torii Hunter. Pujols and Wilson, The doubling down on Hamilton, Ohtani and Maitan.

You never know.

Right we never know, but while I am sure he wants to win as much as most, he has never gone “all out”, nor has he ever gone over the tax to start a season.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not sure any owner wants to win as much as he does. This team has pulled off "amazing" before. GMJ, then they doubled down with Torii Hunter. Pujols and Wilson, The doubling down on Hamilton, Ohtani and Maitan.

You never know.

I agree with ‘you never know’ comment  ... although, the last five seasons screams no he doesn’t have winning as top priority over payroll. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You never know.

Not to mention dishing out massive money for Trout and then recently buying the stadium and acres around it (even though Arte isn’t paying for it). 
if Arte wants to win then he should spend the same money he game to Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton and give it to Cole/Strasburg and just let it happen 

10 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree with ‘you never know’ comment  ... although, the last five seasons screams no he doesn’t have winning as top priority over payroll. 

Counterpoint - he’s been waiting for the right moment, after buying into the notion that the org had other priorities it needed to address before big FA spends. 

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Right we never know, but while I am sure he wants to win as much as most, he has never gone “all out”, nor has he ever gone over the tax to start a season.

Counterpoint - he’s been prioritizing Trout’s megadeal and the stadium purchase the last few seasons and holding off major tax/payroll expenses until those were resolved.

Just now, totdprods said:

Counterpoint - he’s been prioritizing Trout’s megadeal and the stadium purchase the last few seasons and holding off major tax/payroll expenses until those were resolved.

I get that and I’ve defended the approach from last off season because of this. So now we will see if he’s “all in”. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Counterpoint - he’s been waiting for the right moment, after buying into the notion that the org had other priorities it needed to address before big FA spends. 

I get that ... but, claiming Arte wants to win more that any other owner is a little skeptical. 

Although, for a mid market team he has paid he’s dues. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I get that ... but, claiming Arte wants to win more that any other owner is a little skeptical. 

No disagreement there - but I also get that he could start getting a little Mike Ilitch streak as he ages and the Angels don’t win a championship. And that’s not necessarily a good thing.

7 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I don’t want Strasburg at any price. I don’t trust he will hold up much longer. 

I hate to say it, but i partly agree with this. 

Ill be fine if we signed him, hes a fantastic pitcher. He just strikes me as the type the baseball gods would laugh, hard, and go "maaaaan... you angels never learn!"

Fwiw, someone I know whos connected at a low level mentioned him to me back in october as a target, saying supposedly (i stress supposedly) he was interested in coming here.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^That might be the point: let Cole know that we don't need him. The Angels' best bet for getting him might be going hard right now, rather than a long-term bidding war with the Yankees and who knows who else.

Boras controls both.  Therefore, he controls the the majority of this process.  On behalf of his clients, he can drag this out as long as he needs to.  

I think what's going on as far as increased anxiety and worry about the outcome of this offseason is two-fold:

1) A lot of the better free agents that would have looked good on the Angels - namely, Wheeler, Grandal, and Odorizzi, but also d'Arnaud, Hamels, Moustakas, Gibson, etc - have signed elsewhere already and often for more than expected.

2) Not long ago it seemed that Cole as an Angel was a foregone conclusion, now it is clear that other teams really want him as well and his ultimate destination is far less certain.

While the offseason is far from over, and the Angels are still one of the front-runners for Cole, there is now a distinct possibility that the Angels will go into 2020 with no Cole, Strasburg, Rendon, Grandal, Wheeler, or Odorizzi, but merely Bundy, maybe a Miley or at best Keuchel, and someone like Chirinos or Maldonado. A far-cry from our hopes and dreams of a month ago.

Edited by Angelsjunky

22 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Based off of Moreno in the past.....

I could Angels are getting frustrated with Cole if he drags it out or attempts to use Yankees as leverage to bid us up.

Leaking meeting with Stras was to send a message to Cole

No. That’s not what happened. 

Also, Cole and Strasburg have the same agent, so....

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

28 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the only people kept in the dark about who's meeting with whom are the fans.  

Is there more information you’re looking to get?

The Angels, Dodgers, Yankees have also met with Strasburg and Cole. Perhaps you would enjoy a video of all Cole’s sit downs with all the teams interested 😃 

I wonder if there’s more teams interested in both pitchers. My next guess would be the Rangers. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Is there more information you’re looking to get?

The Angels, Dodgers, Yankees have also met with Strasburg and Cole. Perhaps you would enjoy a video of all Cole’s sit downs with all the teams interested 😃 

I wonder if there more teams interested in both pitchers. My next guess would be the Rangers. 

I couldn't care less.